Slavery: The Game "Become The Most Powerful Slavetrader"

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
kinapuffar said:
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
kinapuffar said:
You fucking hypocrites.
Nothing wrong with running around New York mowing down innocent civilians or generally just executing people left and right.
New Deus Ex game is getting flak for stereotypes, not being rewarded for breaking people's arms and legs and then punching them in the face.

But gods forbid they make a game about slavery, how utterly distasteful!
Yes, but those are in fictional invornments. This was real.

In real life, You can't just bring a machinegun to a metropolis, kill 50 people, and expect to esacpe- Games like that are just low entertainment, which some people find fun.

But this, this is real. This happened. These people were tourchered for nothing, in an unfair and unjust world. And it still happens today.
WW2 games.
What else you got?

Also, suggesting that a war game based on a real war is fiction because it doesn't contain any real people, whilst claiming that a game based on slavery is not, suggests that you think all slaves are just nameless things, and that even if the game doesn't name a single historical slave, a fictional one is essentially the same as real one.

That's sort of racist.
Slaves weren't just an abstract concept, they were actual people.
Oh the irony. You stood up for this game, and you try to turn the table on me saying that I support slavery? Nice job at entirely missing a point, dumbass.

WW2 games never showed things like the holocost, they show WAR. It is an acceptable part of history, not that it is right, But it is better than treating a human as nothing. And I wasn't speaking about fucking World War 2 games, I was talking about games like Grand Theft Auto- Clear your eyes and see beyond the smoke and mirrors. Most things dipected in World War 2 games never even happened. Yes, WW2 is real, but the battles are streched so far that it no longer contains realism.

That's all I have to say to you. I don't feel like getting reported for feeding the trolls.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Ah, and this is why I didn't care about that school shooter mod being made; about a year later or so everybody will have either learned that the game was just pulling a desperate PR stunt to cover up it not being very good or another game will have come along repeating this stupidity. Seriously, everybody should just ignore this. We aren't helping the world by falling into this same trap again.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Either this game isn't real or the creators are just being super protective of their identities to dodge the lynch mobs. Probably the former. Still, I'd like to play it, it looks fun. It's always nice to see a game where you're not killing people 95% of the time.

Also, they enslaved Wilhelm!

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
That's kind of fucked.
Also, when did the Brits abolsih slavery? Over here they just tell us you guys got it done before us, but no real date. And I'm kind of curious about just how powerful the British slave trade was during the 17th century.

So, I guess we just gotta wait and see how real this thing is.

Kevin7557

May 31, 2008
I'm disapointed in the rating system. It is okay for me to ripped out a guys spine, heart, or any internal part. It is fine that I dismember people. Burn them alive. Kill civilians. You know what some would call the good stuff but slavery that earns you an A-Rating.

I would use some profanity right now but escapist forums doesn't allow it and I'm not getting banned for a point this low but still this is bull****. Civilization this is the apparently only adult calling, time to grow the hell up.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Moeez said:
This is a real game.

At first, I thought this might be an eager game depicting the plight of slaves in an adventure game sense. Maybe an history education game. But NOPE, check out the insane trailer:

Except for the hilarious Wilhelm scream, this game's goals are in really bad taste. "BECOME THE MOST POWERFUL SLAVETRADER". o_O

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4260/slaverythegame.jpg

Oh yeah, it's rated AO, comes out in Spring 2012.
This is so obviously a joke, and a damned good one, too.

Do you really think that Sony would accept a game that promotes, ahem, slavery on their system? This sounds very Colbert, or maybe it's from The Onion.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
I'd play it. Strategy games are relevant to my interests, and slave-trading in games is so often completely avoided, or, there is a sort of make-believe like it didn't happen/you can't do it as your empire/faction rises to greatness.

Remember the old slaver unit in one of the civilization games? Damn helpful, and so fat and happy.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
Cleril said:
I can't honestly say I'm against such a game. We have games, numerous games about wars, thousands of soldiers dying by our virtual hands. Other games we have allow us to kill innocent people or even children. Yet a game about slavery is absolutely beyond our standards?

Now the trailer does seem to show white people as the slave holders but the slaves themselves weren't depicted as any specific race so if the game doesn't depict any single race as slaves then I see no problem. Even if the game does specify race, it's history, it happened, it'd be like complaining that you associate Germans with Nazi's in a WWII game (and such games about war are one of the most popular or at least most selling games ever made, no?).

AO games don't sell too well to my knowledge, right? If the company wants to take a risk and make this game, giving it an AO rating, then why not?

And it looks like a business management type game. That would mean that the player themselves will not be inflicting direct torture to their slaves, unlike in COD where the player is the one firing the bullets and knifing their enemies directly.

Basically, unnecessary controversy and somewhat of a double standard taking place here.
I think it's a matter of tastefulness. The game just comes across as a very crude and tasteless representation of slavery. The fact that it allows you to "pick your weapon" itself is a mark of a game that could have handled a controversial issue well but ultimately will pass as another tactless, idiotic game.

Kevon Huggins

Jan 27, 2011
Avaholic03 said:
C'mon, enough with the hate. It's been decades since most people were able to practice their slave trading. If we don't practice how will be be able to stay on top of our game?

(...I feel like I should make it clear that I'm being sarcastic, becuase inevitable some dumbass will take me seriously)
Since there is no person has done that
I AM THE DUMBASS THAT HAS TAKEN IT SERIOUSLY AND REPORTED
just kidding

Kevon Huggins

Jan 27, 2011
This cross the line for me. The are depicting it as if slavery was good and promotes the whole master-race crap.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Jeez, the recession is really hitting hard, spiked baseball bats cost more than rifles...

In all seriousness, kind of in bad taste, seems pointless anyways. Sure, it has the "shock" value, but it doesn't have anything to back it up, so fortunately, I see this not making any money and hopefully the writer of it loses his job.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I see nothing wrong here and I might even play it. All I'm saying is that it's just a game and shit like this is what keeps gaming fresh.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Am I the only person who doesn't care if it's real?

Yeah, slavery is bad...and it is/wasn't just white people who are doing it, or have done it, or who still are.

Would I play the game? Maybe.
IF it was fun.

I've played games where I'm a white boy killing tons of 'brown people' - is murdering folks because their eyes are slanted cool, shooting up brown people because their religion is different than mine, GRRATE.

But, no, slavery, can't do that.
Animal Slavery? Still Cool though, right?