"Sleeper Hits" from the last generation

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I was going through my shelf and figured I'd share a few more:

Catherine - Yeah, the game's view of relationships is rather immature, and I can't stand the block pushing on higher difficulties, but it's something different, and I found it compelling all the way through. If you're an anime fan, or someone who enjoys choice in games and can deal with anime (not heavily trope-y), it's worth picking up cheap.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron - Holy. Shit. The combat is simplistic, and so is the level design, but this is an incredible visual and aural masterpiece that I still can't believe got big-money greenlit for heavy religious overtones and overall mindfuckery. It's worth experiencing because there's nothing else like it.

Child of Eden - I was the only person in line to pick this up at midnight because I've considered using psychedelics to make Rez a religion, and apparently only about 50,000 people picked it up ever. It's not as good as Rez, but even if you've never played Rez, anyone interested in marrying rail shooters with music to attempt synesthesia should give it a try. Don't even worry about the pushing of Kinect/Move, it's a good way to have hurt elbows and game overs. Controller all the way.

Cowabungaa said:
Then again, neither do books and movies force the watcher to do anything and they're linear experiences as well, yet it's really common to get such reactions to those. I'd say Spec Ops: The Line's 'bad feels' moments compare more to those than to the bad feelings you get from actually having to live with making a bad choice. It's just another case of getting invested in media, and Spec Ops: The Line did so pretty well through the use of interactivity, point-of-view shenanigans and clever pacing.
That's the way I see it. If a reader feels "icky", even vicariously while reading Heart of Darkness, it's the same kind of effect at work here. The interactivity and hours of direct player involvement doesn't make you, the player feel like a heartless mass murderer, it just amplifies the somber feelings that some feel due to similar attempts by any other media. Developers are still learning (and arguing with corporate) on how to incorporate the feelings of the player into the protagonist they're directly controlling, and even the "pulling of the rug" subversion was a ballsy and direct stab in the right direction.

I played that game in one sitting, and while I didn't feel guilt, there was this mildly depressing slide into a joyless immersion. You'll even notice the nonsense of the level design, there's a lot of descending down ropes and falling through sand and generally falling downward overall, well past the point where one should be popping up in China in reality. That game didn't do everything right, but I respect their effort and strangely applaud that weirdly enjoyable shitty-feeling sleepless night.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Xsjadoblayde said:
Ooh lemme see... There is always Alan W...
Lufia Erim said:
Alan wake.
Ah, ok. No problem. An enjoyable cheap purchase is Alpha p...
Alpha protocol.
Hm. I see. Well I bet nobody's mentioned Flatout U...
josemlopes said:
...Flatout Ultimate Carnage
Damnit!

Ahh, I think I have a good'n. Surely nobody has yet given Binary D...
Chester Rabbit said:
Binary Domaint
Garrrgh!!!

SINGULARITY! Hah! That'll do. Enjoy!

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Some great shouts on here, thanks for posting, some games I'd not even heard of, Nier, Binary Domain & Vanquish are now on my list.

My recomendations would be:

The Saboteur - What a game. Atmospheric and fun throughout, it's nothing particularly spectacular, but it's just absorbing and enjoyable to play.

Divinity 2: TDKS - For me you have to play as a mage-knight or knight, I certainly feel that the ranger is poorer than both, and that melee combat is definitely the best way to play to enjoy. Howver do that and there's a wonderful action-RPG there. Again a lush vibe, with some brilliant dry humour and dialogue.

The Last Remnant: JRPG goodness all round. It's a bit hard to get into the slightly obscure battle system, but do a bit of online digging and there's plenty of JRPG goodness to enjoy.

Risen 2: Awkward gameplay mechanics make this a bit hard to get into, but amazingly earthy humourous dialogue, again a wonderful vibe, and combat which improves immensely once you have your gun skills make for a sheer joyous rapture of a game for me. Words can't describe just how much I loved playing this.

Condemned 2: Nice little horror game, nice mechanics and well balanced.

Mini Ninjas: Simple but light hearted and joyful fun. It's right up there with my fave games and for me should definitely be checked out.

Burgers2013

Nov 3, 2013
Looks like most of mine have been covered. I didn't see these though:

Trauma Center: Second Opinion/New Blood -- Either one or both for the Wii. They were both really fun and challenging (later levels could get frustrating, but it's worth it); the games left my friends and I rolling in laughter at everything from the horrible mistakes you could make to kill the patient by allowing you to use any tool at any time, what we called the "magic juice" that automatically put vitals back to normal, and the horrid suturing jobs done (almost always). It's definitely arcade-style. The second game (True Blood) is pretty much the same as the first (Second Opinion) except True Blood has co-op, which is awesome (imagine trying to be the first to make the incision by hastily/shakily slicing your scalpel into the patient while your partner does the same--many patients were lost that way...). The story takes itself really seriously (or else is being sarcastic, and we didn't notice), but we also found that hilarious. For instance, the failure sequence consists of the protagonist(s) quitting medicine and disappearing in shame forever after failing to save one patient (not necessarily even resulting in death), no matter how low the odds were of success to begin with. The amount of drama oozing out of the "you loose" text is pretty funny considering surgeons have to deal with unsuccessful surgeries all the time. From my experience, both casual and normal gamers both love these games.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Wii) -- I don't know how popular this was, but it was actually a really enjoyable rail shooter. My personal favorite shooter on the Wii (not sure how much that says). The difficulty (as far as rail shooters go) was reigned in quite a bit. If I had to guess, I'd say this is because it was designed for the consoles rather than the arcade (don't know if this is true or not). It was challenging, but beatable since your progress was saved after every stage. It had fun bosses and lots of little secrets/extras about the story of earlier games in the series (If I remember right, it went through RE 1-3). I was a huge RE fan at the time (damn you, RE 6, damn you) and really enjoyed it. I'd definitely recommend it to RE fans or people with a Wii looking for decent non-Nintendo-made games. It was much better than the follow-up, rail shooter, Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
I'd say Dark Souls. Demon's Souls was a great game in it's own right but Dark Souls is the one that took the whole series from 'hidden gem' to 'Being a legitimate console seller in the early part of the generation' with Bloodborne.

Plus, ya know, Demon's Souls is part of the generation before that so I can't name that.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Rayman Origins. It never did explode the sales what with it coming out in possibly the most competitive period of the last five or so years (Autumn/Christmas 2011), but it did eventually pick up steam and has a nice following (though most of them are fans of Legends instead I guess).

A 2D Platformer released for relevant consoles[footnote]It's on the Wii, but who cares?[/footnote] in 2011? And it's actually a fantastic game? Holy shit.

Plus it should be given its due credit for reviving the Rayman franchise which couldn't be more dead in the 7th Generation, what with the advent of the Raving Rabbids spin-off that actually booted Rayman out of the series (bastards!). Rayman Legends seems to be popular and did well enough. For that we have to thank Origins.

Chester Rabbit said:
Silent Hill Shattered Memories - Maybe not a great Silent Hill game(Though I would argue it's a great Silent Hill story)...but still a really great game.
I'd argue that Shattered Memories is better than some of the original four though it deliberately avoids the style. I also think it's an easy contender for among the best stories in the franchise which is saying something when I think only two of the games[footnote]Homecoming, and to a lesser extent Origins[/footnote] have crap stories. It's such a great game that probably shouldn't have been released primarily on the Wii, as all my issues with it are with some of the controls (and they're not even that bad).

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Evonisia said:
I'd argue that Shattered Memories is better than some of the original four though it deliberately avoids the style. I also think it's an easy contender for among the best stories in the franchise which is saying something when I think only two of the games[footnote]Homecoming, and to a lesser extent Origins[/footnote] have crap stories. It's such a great game that probably shouldn't have been released primarily on the Wii, as all my issues with it are with some of the controls (and they're not even that bad).
You know what, I honestly agree. I love it. I think it?s one of the great Silent Hills which belongs right next to 1, 2 and 3 and then four can come after it.

I just said what I said because I have seen the reaction this game can get from long time fans of the series for its imagery not being as intense as the others and it being a retelling of Silent Hill 1. Which for me... well, I can I easily ignore that and just think of it as just another Silent Hill story.

So yeah it was me kind of trying not to fan the flames.

DrunkOnEstus said:
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron - Holy. Shit. The combat is simplistic, and so is the level design, but this is an incredible visual and aural masterpiece that I still can't believe got big-money greenlit for heavy religious overtones and overall mindfuckery. It's worth experiencing because there's nothing else like it.
See my problem with that game besides the repetitive simplistic combat was those damn Boss fights they make you go through throughout the game. Those Megaman X Opening Vile fights that the game makes you go through again and again where you are meant to lose. Uuuugh. Look game if you want me to build an intimate relationship with each of these villains and a legitimate hatred for them and relish when I can finally destroy you. Fine! But not this way game...not this way...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SlumlordThanatos said:
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine was some of the most fun I've ever had in a third person shooter. Satisfying, visceral combat combined with a unique way of regenerating health encourages you to ditch the cover and wade into battle, chainsword swinging.

Games like this made me wish that Games Workshop wasn't so protective of their IP.
The depressing thing is that the director had ideas for sequels that went down with THQ. Putting Titus on an arc where he goes a bit renegade after how unfairly he's treated for saving a planet.

OT: I'd say Spec Ops the Line. What a delightfully miserable game that was.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Xsjadoblayde said:
Ooh lemme see... There is always Alan W...
Lufia Erim said:
Alan wake.
Ah, ok. No problem. An enjoyable cheap purchase is Alpha p...
Alpha protocol.
Hm. I see. Well I bet nobody's mentioned Flatout U...
josemlopes said:
...Flatout Ultimate Carnage
Damnit!

Ahh, I think I have a good'n. Surely nobody has yet given Binary D...
Chester Rabbit said:
Binary Domaint
Garrrgh!!!

SINGULARITY! Hah! That'll do. Enjoy!

Edit: Dust, an elysian tail/tale . Apparently it wasn't as well known or successful as I assumed. So have at. Have at it a lot.

Ha ha ha *Tipshat*

Gave me a good chuckle that :)