Sleeping Dogs Spin-Off Triad Wars Canceled After Closed Beta

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Sleeping Dogs Spin-Off Triad Wars Canceled After Closed Beta

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1023/1023803.pngHeaded to a farm up north where it can run free and play with the other online multiplayer games.

United Front Games has announced their intention to close the book on their online multiplayer-only underworld crime game Triad Wars, saying the game "wasn't right for many." The announcement was delivered in a post to the Triad Wars official forums.

The game, currently running in a closed beta, will go offline on January 20. For the remaining four weeks, in-game currency sold through microtransactions will be made freely available. Players who have already purchased currency remaining in their accounts may be able to get a refund, with United Front promising details on how in the near future.

Triad Wars was first announced by United Front in 2013 as a game set within the universe of the developer's prior effort, Sleeping Dogs. The PC-only game entered its closed beta early this year.

Source: Official Site [https://forums.triadwars.com/discussion/7035/closure-of-the-triad-wars-beta]

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Ah well. It's for the best really; I never really thought this game would be that successful. I'm just hoping for them to make a fully-fleshed sequel to Sleeping Dogs.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ldude893 said:
Ah well. It's for the best really; I never really thought this game would be that successful. I'm just hoping for them to make a fully-fleshed sequel to Sleeping Dogs.
I wouldn't count on it. What made SD a success to them was all the DLC they sold. The leap to Triad Wars was a natural one at that point. I doubt we'll see a legit release of a full game any time soon.

EDIT: Kind of torn on this as a result. I thought SD was an unpolished gem, a game with a lot of potential that I would like to see realised in a sequel. But seriously? Can't give a crap about the cancelation of this version.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Wow, to get as far as closed Beta and then be cancelled is unusual (unless you're Blizzard of course)

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
Considering the amount of resources that are generally consumed up to the closed beta, I'd say this speaks very well of the devs. Even if the game flopped, they could've probably made some dosh on the initial rush of epeen grooming wallet warriors right after releasing the game as open beta. Choosing not to do that, instead scrapping a game that doesn't live up to their standards before afflicting the public with it and offering refunds is a much appreciated show of integrity and something I believe should be much, much more common.

Win32error

Jul 18, 2011
United front, this was the right decision. Nobody wanted a multiplayer sleeping dogs, especially not like some F2P model. But the idea of owning territory sounds cool, maybe you learned something from it to use for an actual sequel to sleeping dogs. Which i think a lot of people are really really rooting for. If you can work on the problems of the first one and include some of the stuff this closed beta showed, i'm pretty sure you can make one hell of a game, so please do.

Seriously though, thank for not pumping out a cashcow turd for some easy money, that takes some guts. You are whole man, keep eating those pork buns.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
Ldude893 said:
Even if they hadn't sold the DLC the ROI (even if it was a loss) was infinitely better than this mess.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Despite it's issues, I enjoyed the Sleeping Dogs game. I did buy it once they released the enhanced edition, so I can't say how different it was to the original version. The game was not without it's flaws, but it was fun.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Glad and sad to hear it. Glad because it seemed like a flop waiting to happen. Sad for everyone involved who won't even get to see the fruits of their labors properly consumed.

But damn. I get wanting a piece of the lucrative multiplayer pie but it always baffles me when they change a single player game and expect the fanbase to spontaneously change their tastes to suit.