sleepwalking.....help?

farscythe

Dec 8, 2010
so....its 4 am i just woke up where i didnt go to sleep again (sofa this time... lucky)
and as im actually awake now (rather than coherently talking in my sleeep) i figured its time to ask the escapist for help.

so to the point..i sleep walk alot and im one of the semi coherent performing complex thing type (cooking cleaning re aranging furniture sex etc)

so i was wondering if anyone here has the same issues and has some ideas to help me wake up where i went to sleep.

(the medication...it does nothing for me)

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I've never sleptwalked, but if this persists I really think you should consult a doctor or do a sleep study. Cooking in your sleep is REALLY dangerous, and not something you should brush off so easily, and not something you should just ask some random strangers on the Internet. I hope you do get useful information here, but I also hope you go to a doctor.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Seconding Lilani. Sleepwalking itself isn't really dangerous, but what you can get up to can be - especially with particularly active sleepwalking, which you seem to do. Definitely worth consulting a doctor.
I'd lock doors and windows as well as locking away/disabling anything you could injure yourself with; sharp objects, high power electrical items, heating elements, etc. You aren't lucid or rational when you sleepwalk, you could leave a hob on and cause a fire or something (or even just burn yourself quite nastily).

There's general lifestyle stuff that's advised to reduce sleepwalking - reduction of caffeine, regular sleeping pattern (as much as sleepwalking allows), regular daytime exercise to physiologically tire yourself, decent diet, etc.

But really the best thing is to see a doctor - they'll be far more qualified to offer specific advice based on your circumstances.

TheColdHeart

Sep 15, 2008
My ex-girlfriend was a really bad sleep walker. She would often wake up in other rooms of the house or on the landing.

She also, like you, did quite coherent tasks such as moving furniture, taking a shower (and waking up in the bath with wet hair), getting dressed etc.

Another thing she did a lot was sleep talk. Most of it was babbled nonsense like when a really drunk person talks but sometimes it was natural speech. Usually it was conversations or arguments with people but occasionally she would solve maths puzzles in her sleep that was really weird.

I remember when she went to the doctors she was told the usual, avoid caffeine, try relaxing before bed, no tv/games etc an hour or so beforehand, try not go to sleep dwelling on things (for her she was a maths student, so that). And she also tried accupuncture. She claimed it worked but I wasn't sold on it's effectiveness to be fair.

As for waking up where you went to sleep. Either a bolt/lock on your door or put something in the way you won't be able to move in your sleep. I would also advise seeing a doctor due to the danger of cooking in your sleep etc.

the darknees abyss

Mar 29, 2012
i used to sleep walk all the time i was more safe when i was sleep compared to when i'm a wake sleep walking not really very dangerous eventually you just stop sleepwaling

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
boobietraps!

easiest thing to do is trow some lego on your floor but if you want to make sure you don't get up you can put up trip wires and waterbuckets where your feet usually land when you just out of bed.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Not Matt said:
boobietraps!

easiest thing to do is trow some lego on your floor but if you want to make sure you don't get up you can put up trip wires and waterbuckets where your feet usually land when you just out of bed.
Lego traps, that kind of torture should only be reserved for evil home invaders, and murderers. For anyone else it's just too cruel!

Anyhow, when I was little, I would apparently run to my bedroom door in my sleep, and talk about oranges a few times(I used to share my room with my brother). It just eventually disappeared for me, hopefully it won't last as long for you as it did my dad. He found himself in the drivers seat of his car one night with the keys in the ignition, now that is odd, and a bit dangerous.

If you can lock yourself in your room, do that, that's what we did for me when I was having some trouble with sleep walking. Hope it goes away eventually, that sounds so annoying.