Slender: The Arrival Review - Short and Scary

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
This does look kind of cool, I definitely might have to try it some day.
However, my real problem with Slender isn't the game itself; it's pleasing to see people trying to utilize the more pulse pounding, tense fear of being helpless in the face of your relentless agressor. However, the fact that a ton of people think that this is something completely and utterly new gets on my nerves.
There were horror games like this as far back as 1995, possibly even earlier. Total omission of combat is an old trope that doesn't get nearly as much use or appreciation as it should, and props to anyone with the skill to utilize it properly, but it's not something new.

Although, there's also the issue that I've kind of gotten used to Slenderman over the past few years. I don't know, the status of being an obscure internet thing made him a little bit more mysterious, and the plethora of terrible "creepypastas" written about him, which end up being more stupid than scary.
Oh, and let's not forget...

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I've given the first few levels of this a play and it's not really that scary. However, I found a lot of enjoyment from having other people play the game and have near-breakdowns from not being used to this kind of game. It was worth my $5 in that regard.

I just have to get around to finishing it but I refuse to play it during daylight hours. It really does break the feel.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Pre-ordered for the beta (essentially level 2). Absolutely worth the money even to support both indie development and the advancement of underwear soiling genres. One thing I feel that should be mentioned is how great it looks, and how many graphics options are available. I've played more expensive indie games with higher budgets that are essentially "Fullscreen : y/n" and nothing else. I'm impressed by what they pulled off here.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I was definitely not a fan of Slender, I found it incredibly boring and shallow. Tried playing this just for kicks, but it's completely unplayable on my system, even on lowest details (and it looks like absolute ass). Welp, guess that's that.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Akichi Daikashima said:
I dread the influx of crappy Let's Play's on YouTube after this is released(?).
Eh, It's not too bad if you have a good core of go too Let's Players.

Mangaminx and Yogscast's Hannah are mine.

AgentLampshade said:
Good review, now that we've got a good set of mechanics down, it'll be interesting to see what they'll do for future games (because they're coming. They are coming.)
Secure Contain Protect?

It is the only logical use of the game engine really.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
cricket chirps said:
So two questions: #1 Where does one buy the game? Not on steam and i refuse Origin. I assume from the Dev's website, but is that it?
#2 What did he do in the credits? I am fine with spoilers i just want to know :p

You can get it at www.slenderarrival.com

As for what he did in the credits

In the copyright there is a message saying "The woods are beautiful. please come see. i am going to find you so you can see. it's so beautiful."

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I'm glad you can complete the game in an hour. I generally can't last 20 minutes of the original slender.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
a bit of shame thats its not available on steam. dont like getting it from other sites.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
DrunkOnEstus said:
Pre-ordered for the beta (essentially level 2). Absolutely worth the money even to support both indie development and the advancement of underwear soiling genres. One thing I feel that should be mentioned is how great it looks, and how many graphics options are available. I've played more expensive indie games with higher budgets that are essentially "Fullscreen : y/n" and nothing else. I'm impressed by what they pulled off here.
I agree! I had to lower my settings a little to be able to capture the footage you see in video, but with everything maxed out it's quite lovely.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I really think that they are being kind of lazy with the overall idea, I know that this is a Slender game so obviously it is about Slender but the "you dont have a weapon and are being chased" kind of game gets old really fast the way they are made now.

Why not have like a roster of 20 different creatures and everytime you start the game only 1 or 2 (maybe even 3 some times) of those spawn (without the player knowing wich ones).

And more, why not add some objects that could be used defensively against the creatures, although each creature would have its weakness (or not, maybe one or two are actually invincible). Maybe one doesnt react well with water and the other slows down with light and etc... the player could find a shotgun in a cabin and then one of the creatures would appear, if you shoot against it maybe it will die, or just slow it down... maybe it just goes through him or he takes the bullets and it makes him bigger or enraged. Have botles of water, flashlights, shovels, gasoline containters, matches, rocks, electric generators, etc... even salt. There could even be more objects that simply dont do shit to let the player decide what can be usefull or not. What if there is this diary that can be burned with a match that can blind one of the creatures?

Why not have "The 8 pages" be hints on how to kill the chosen creatures or escape the place?

Basicly have the game be about the player being in a place and having the tools that he could find in that place while in the presence of something that he doesnt really know about with the player actually having a role in its faith and doing what he can to survive trough out the game.

More monsters could be added from time to time with updates without revealing what they are and their details.

I dont know, Im just spewing ideas to avoid making this jumpscare extravaganza (that as a first concept is a good idea) getting stale with the shitload of copycats that are getting released latelly that dont really add up anything to the original concept.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
I wonder if there's a daylight mode because I like scary games but I don't like pooping my pants... which I will... frequently.

In any case, as soon as I get through my backlog of games I think I'll get around to this one. It'll be a nice change of pace from hunting monster to being hunted.