Slenderman Legality Question

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
Now that I've got your attention with my ridiculous title, let me pose a question to my fell escapists.

I'm planning on starting a screenplay that involves the Slenderman, if you don't know who that is plug it into google, and then shut the blinds after being scared down to your very soul.

My question is, is Slenderman public domain? He has become sort of a meme over the years, which is my reasoning.

Also in the book I plan to borrow the elements of a Slenderman controlling a proxy, and interfering the electronic devices in the screenplay. Both of these things come up rather frequently in "Marble Hornets" which is an episodic viral series that deals with the Slenderman, so I was wondering if by using these elements the creators of the series would have grounds to sue me.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Mmm... the first time i saw slender man was here, and cause it was copied from somewhere to hear. So you'd have to go and find where it was copied from, see if that was copied from anything. When you find who made, thats who has ownership.

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
Freezy_Breezy said:
Well, it started, like many things, on Something Awful.

If anything, just acknowledge Victor Surge, the original creator.

EDIT: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150591&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post361861415

This one.
Is he some sort of famous online poster, or someone I could easily get in touch with?

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
I think that if anyone had a clear claim, it would be the origonal poster on SA.

Just out of curiosity, how exactly do you intend on turning him into a screenplay, to my mind the anti-climax of people simply ceaseing to be is a massive part of the character, and that probably wouldn't translate all that well.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I really am curious, and a film that did manage to pull o fthe slender man would be mind blowing. (Am I really immature or did that sound dirty?)

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
the clockmaker said:
I think that if anyone had a clear claim, it would be the origonal poster on SA.

Just out of curiosity, how exactly do you intend on turning him into a screenplay, to my mind the anti-climax of people simply ceaseing to be is a massive part of the character, and that probably wouldn't translate all that well.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I really am curious, and a film that did manage to pull o fthe slender man would be mind blowing. (Am I really immature or did that sound dirty?)
It would be a sort of noir story about a Father trying to rescue his son. The Father would interview families who's children had also been kidnapped, with no arrests ever made. As the Father gets closer and closer to the truth, the Slenderman appears more and more. Thats the main idea anyway. The story would however have a very hollow end.

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
Freezy_Breezy said:
elricik said:
Is he some sort of famous online poster, or someone I could easily get in touch with?
Nah, he's a goon, he wouldn't mind. Just credit the original concept to him in the credits.
I hope your right about that, cause I have no way of getting in touch with him since I can't find an email address or messaging system on Something Awful.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
elricik said:
the clockmaker said:

It would be a sort of noir story about a Father trying to rescue his son. The Father would interview families who's children had also been kidnapped, with no arrests ever made. As the Father gets closer and closer to the truth, the Slenderman appears more and more. Thats the main idea anyway. The story would however have a very hollow end.
Good, a slenderman stroy with a happy ending would suck.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Thank you. I had forgotten about Slenderman until you brought him up. Now I have to go hide under the covers...in broad daylight, no less. That's how much this guy scares me.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
Thank you. I had forgotten about Slenderman until you brought him up. Now I have to go hide under the covers...in broad daylight, no less. That's how much this guy scares me.
This except I would like to add that I now hate you.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
EHKOS said:
Macgyvercas said:
Wait...do you hate me or the OP?

otacon

May 5, 2010
As long as Slendy isn't seen for more than a few seconds and from odd perspectives (with DISTORTIONS *twitch*) then I'm all for it.

If you can't get in contact with the original creator, then just acknowledge him in your work?

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Sorry, but Slenderman is already currently involved in another production [http://littlekuribohsshadow.blip.tv/file/4457836/].

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
EHKOS said:
Macgyvercas said:
Wait...do you hate me or the OP?
The OP, don't worry, no one could hate you.

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
Orekoya said:
Sorry, but Slenderman is already currently involved in another production [http://littlekuribohsshadow.blip.tv/file/4457836/].
Wow, thanks for the nightmare repellent.

keve4433

Not totally insane....YET!!!
Dec 9, 2009
Victor has a DevArt, you could message him on that, http://victor-surge.deviantart.com/