Slick Fan Film Puts Dark Twist on Portal

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
I thought that was very, very good for a fan made film. The lighting, the effects and even the acting was good, (even though there wasn't that much acting to do). I love watching fan made films based on games, especially films based on Valve's games.
Kudos to everyone who was involved! :)

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Darker side of Portal? Wouldn't that be the fact that Chell pretty much has a few years to live (at best) before the assorted cancers, radiation poisonings and other sideffects of the various hazardous substances she was exposed to come to bite her in the arse.

Think about it - Assuming that the portal gun/portals themselves have no harmful effects (which is also possible), she did spend a good amount of time in rooms filled with toxic waste. She was in close proximity to a huge selection of various advance technology, all designed by a company that regards "safety regulations" as a mildly amusing joke.

And THAT'S before we consider that she was liberally drenched in various gels in the second game. You know, the gels whose sideffects you were being warned about throughout the game. You know, the white gel that's made with ground up moon rocks that happened to kill Cave Johnson.

So yeah, Chell is dead very soon...

EDIT: Well, yeah, the film was pretty great too. Good production values, though I'm not quite sure how she figured out where the Portal Gun was...

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
but without the proper boots she would never have survived that jump.
Still, it was very cool to have some techniques used in Portal in this.

RetardedKitty

May 17, 2011
I'm rewatching it for the 7th time, sceene by sceene and i still dont understand how did she got the position of the gun by looking at the part of the wall with marks/numbers/whatever. Srsly can anyone explain that ?
Except that it's awesome.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
While I'm not going to say this was a bad little film, it doesn't have the same whimsy from the game. Kudos for the ending, though. I'll give it that.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Jbird said:
While I'm not going to say this was a bad little film, it doesn't have the same whimsy from the game. Kudos for the ending, though. I'll give it that.
I think that's the point. This is kind of what Portal would be like without all the jokes.

Also, this was very well done. I like the game better though.

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
Oh look. I totally called it:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.308835-Proof-that-a-Portal-film-can-not-only-be-made-but-be-good#12462524
My opinion on it still stands.

May 5, 2010
Can someone please explain how she found the gun? It's confusing the hell out of me.

Anyway, other then that, I really enjoyed it. The effects were good, and I REALLY liked the ending. Very well done.

But seriously, how the FUCK did she find the gun?

AGrey

Apr 3, 2010
Happy Sock Puppet said:
I DEMAND a full-length movie. DEMAND, you hear?
full-length movie?

I want a TV show! Get Joss Whedon on as the show creator. All the darkness of Dollhouse with all the humor of Firefly

Kelsafr

Apr 25, 2011
However could The Escapist have found this video so quickly after it's debut? Oh that's right, I emailed you guys a link yesterday. A simple thank you would've been nice you know.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
That would have been a great idea for portal 2. I haven't played portal 2 yet, but I imagine moving around in portals in a virtual world that was outside could have been tons of fun. Taking yourself out of the test chambers without actually taking yourself out.