Smartphones and smartphone plans

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
What type of smartphones does the escapist have, and what are your plans? I am curious because i also seek to enter the smartphone world, but lack the funds to just go "gung ho" on one.

I figured some sampling would then be in order.

Justifications for why you like it are a bonus.

For reference, I myself am looking at the Samsung galaxy s4, cause it looks about 150$ in cost, and I can possibly get a prepaid plan.

Sorry if this isn't an "exciting" post... feel free to add pictures or what not...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I just got a Samsung Galaxy Ace 4 and I just simply on pay as you go. I just see a smartphone as a phone and I don't have alot of people to called to or called me. My parent on the other hand keep insisting I get a smartphone to be in the trend despite my old phone suit me just fine.

Ok technically I have been thinking of getting another phone but with a bigger screen now that I became addicted to my tablet (I can't bring that everywhere) now that I can just used the wifi without the additional cost.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Just some old iphone from 2011/12 or something. Before that I was still using this cell(gsm)phone that I had been using since 1999 or so(fucker was indestructible) but people and girlfriend at the time continued to complain they couldn't reach me b/c I still used short messaging service(sms) and nobody used that anymore. :p

I must admit though I can't imagine life anymore without internet on the go or not using my phone as a car GPS. One thing I hate about smartphones though is the abysmal battery life. Espescially with GPS or video the battery just drains within hours. My old phone with it's shitty led display didn't need to be plugged in for weeks. :p

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I really don't understand people's obsession with getting expensive phones. A phone that retails for $100-$150 will do everything and more that 99% of people need and want their phone to do while doing it at a rather snappily. And you can get a really great price on one of these "low-tier" phones for joining most providers. I got Samsung Galaxy On5 completely free (no strings attached) for joining MetroPCS, which is only $30/month. Put a microSD card in most low end phones and you have more than enough storage. Just be sure to not get a phone with Android Lollipop, it's a horrible OS. Not all that long ago (like 10 years), I bought a portable media player from Cowon to watch video on train rides to work and it can't do a 1/10th of what a $100 phone can do now. It really is amazing to me that a phone has the power to play HD video, something a dedicated portable media player from 10 years couldn't do. If you must get an expensive phone, get a OnePlus phone, it's way better than just about any high-end phones.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S7, it's the first time I've ever had a 'flagship' device and to be honest you can see the quality difference.

My previous two phones were a Wileyfox Swift and more recently the Swift 2 Plus. Both great phones but when I got the S7 you can just feel why it is that ?150 more. Everything is just that little bit better, individually this wouldn't make a difference but put it all together and you have something that really justifies its price point.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
I recently upgraded to an Iphone 6s after my Iphone 5 I had since release finally completely died on me after just over 4 years of daily use. Not too bad I suppose! I was overdue an upgrade so got a decent monthly deal. Unlimited calls and texts and 1GB of data. As I'm usually not too far from Wi-Fi and don't steam videos or play online connectivity games with 3G, any more seemed pointless.

I used to never like Apple products (I still don't to an extent, especially the price points) But after getting the 5 I think their phones are pretty top notch. I am used to IOS, had plenty of apps and whatnot so decided to go Apple again. Some of the new security features are quite nifty, and Apple pay means I can pop to the local Spar down the road with just my phone if I want to pick up a few bits, or go out somewhere for the day. I don't really game on it much as I have a Shield K1 tablet loaded with games and emulators for on the go, but it is powerful. Xcom especially looks quite nice on it.

As an aside, I also recently swapped out my Pebble for an Apple Watch 2 after I learned Pebble has bit the dust (I doubt Pebble support will be very good on non Android going forward). Overall I am quite happy with it. I know smartwatches are considered niche and kinda pointless to most but I personally do really like the concept, and as someone who only likes watches with functionality (A Casio calculator was the only one I wore for probably over a decade) it's pretty great. Being able to quietly scribble away replies to messages on my watch without anyone in the office noticing is quite useful. However, I will admit the price point for it is simply too high, and I would have not picked it up had I not got a decent deal on it as well.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I'm in a family share plan, but effectively pay for my share of the service and data because it is cheaper (and I honestly never get anywhere close to running out of data).

My first ever phone was the Motorola Droid Mini, 16 GB, two years prior. It's a good little phone, not too big, not two small, but if you are planning on taking lots of pictures/videos, I suggest a phone with 32 GB or replaceable data.

I got my new phone, the LG G5, 32 GB, this past spring. It's a lot larger than the Droid Mini, but the screen resolution is really good and I actually enjoy the larger screen size (I would definitely not go any bigger than this, though).

I'm paying $45/month for the service and 3.2 GB (family plan), and I've never had an issue with the service or phones.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I've been looking to upgrade to the Sony xz or the x compact. I had the first Sony Xperia phone for a few years which died recently and ive been using a ZTE blade V7 lite in the interim time period.

Im hoping to get a more advanced phone as soon as my service provider gets back to me this week with the deals they offer.I'm largely after the Sony phones because I know my way around them and for familiarity. What I like about the ones I'm after though is that they've got good cameras and battery life and now have finger print sensor technology to unlock your phone which is great for security.

The X compact especially has not far off the same performance as the most high end Sony phone at the moment, just smaller so its cheaper. The 23 mp camera on its pretty insane. Not recommended though if you're into watching movies or YouTube a lit due to its small screen which is why I might get the alternative xz which is larger but marginally more expensive.

Lucifiel

Sep 8, 2009
I have a Samsung Note 4. I wanted to upgrade to the Note 7 last year when it came out but I guess I'll have to wait for this year's Note launch to upgrade. And hope they sort out all the problems until launch day. I'm a huge fan of the Note series because of two main reasons: 1. Great battery life and especially 2. It has a stylus (a feature not present in any recent smartphone - unless you take into consideration more obscure firms). A I love the fact that I can take hand written notes on it (much faster than typing), modify printscreens and draw on it. If it weren't for reason number 2, I'd probably get a Nexus. So far, the Note series is the only one offering this feature.

I usually upgrade my phones depending on price and features I was interested in. I first got the Note 1, then switched to the Note 2 because it offered a vastly improved battery and stylus and it was among the first to offer a split screen solution. Skipped the Note 3 because I didn't see any major upgrades and took advantage of a killer deal for the Note 4 (I got it new for 78 EUR/ 82 USD) due to my boyfriend's plan. Skipped the Note 5 as well because I did not see the point in upgrading at the time.

I pair my phone to a Motorola 360 2nd Gen smartwatch and (often) a pair of wireless sennheiser heeadphones (microphone included) for extra mobility so my phone stays mostly in my pocket or bag, which is truly a blessing when you are out and about or carrying stuff.

As for my plan, I pay 29 Euro (or 30 USD) per month for unlimited units (minutes and text messages) inside my country, 10GB data inside the country, 500 international units, 100 units in Roaming and 300 MB in Roaming. So far I like my plan, especially the data aspect. Also reaaaaly looking forward to when they finally remove all roaming fees within the European Union (data included).