Smash 3DS! Thoughts? Your Main?

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
So Smash 3DS is now out for everyone and I'm pretty sure a lot of you have bought it already. So now that people have had it for a day or so now let's have a discussion. What are your thoughts on the game? Favorite mode? What character are you maining?

Personally I can't come off it. It's a massive step up from Brawl in everything but the amount of content. The newcomers are all pretty good (although I seriously can't get to grips with Rosalina). After playing around with them my new main is the Duck Hunt Duo, they're just so fun to play.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I'm currently addicted to it. While it doesn't have some features from Brawl and Melee, it's still has a solid amount of content to keep me playing. I like completing the challenges, and collecting the customization items and move-sets, because of this I like playing Classic mode and Smash Run, although Smash Run can be a ***** at times as the enemies are surprisingly difficult.

My main is Little Mac, along with Zero Suit Samus and Lucina.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
played the demo last night, didn't find anything about it particularly spectacular. i found the controls to be a bit of a pain as well, dunno why, also the game wasn't good with knowing when i was turning to face and attacking or whether i was directional smashing.

Trinket to Ride

Jul 13, 2014
I like it a lot! At this point, I'm enjoying Villager, Pac Man, and R.O.B. the most (in that order.) Pac Man's side-b move especially is really cool.

My only complaints about it are the lack of "Event Matches," no unranked 1v1 online mode (I prefer 1v1 greatly over 4-player free-for-alls, but ranked matches frustrate me easily, since my failures will be up there for the world to see forever,) and a few too many random drops when it comes to Mii Fighter gear.

I also think Smash Run is a bit underwhelming. I feel like the enemies take too many hits to kill, which kind of hinders the frantic pace it's supposed to have.

But still, I'm quite enjoying it. I'm very much looking forward to the Wii U version, so I can play with my friends who don't have a 3DS.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I am currently finding it difficult to put it down, with the character I am enjoying the most being Link,closely followed by Pit, but I am trying to play all the fighters, to see which one suits me the best. Let's put it this way, it will get me through break times at work for a while, at least until Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire come out (I will definitely be getting both).

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
I'm really liking it. Bar the lack of a story mode and some graphical anomalies, it's pretty much better than Brawl in every way.

My main right now is Link (thanks demo!) but Lucina is really growing on me, and I'm finding myself using the villager a lot just for fun.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I like it a lot so far, it's still weird to have a full portable smash, and I like it! Admittedly there are too many scrolling stages in this game, the fact that three of the Mario stages can't seem to keep still is rather annoying. Other than that, I love the music, most of the other non-scrolling stages, and it's exciting to go to the trophy store hoping to get a character I really want.

My main is and has been since the N64 game, is Link. Other mains include Toon Link, Kirby, Mario, Zelda, and possibly Greninja and Robin since I really enjoy using both of them.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I'm loving every bit of it so far, I love the customization and alternate moves you can use it really gives new life to some fighters I rarely used before. My main man Kirby got a buff with his hammer and final smash so I'm happy about that. Probably my favorite part though are the new fighters, most of them feel extremely unique and quite a few have become my new favorites such as Rosalina, Bowser Jr., Megaman, and Duck Hunt. Probably the only issue I have is that the controls occasionally are a bit finicky but they were never that much of an issue to hamper my enjoyment.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
I love it!

I'm maining Greninja.
He honestly didn't seem like anything special until I finally went online and into Ranked 1v1. He really shines in 1v1... Great movement speed, great recovery, great running attack... lovely, fast smash attacks that have a slight slide to them if done while sprinting, a strong counter, and you can do some really tricky stuff with Shadow Sneak.

If you could use Mii Brawler online that would be a sub right now, but as you can't, I'm kinda leaning towards Little Mac. As weak as he may be in the air, you honestly don't need it with how strong absolutely everything else is... but on the other hand, my air game sucks so, it's probably just that I'm not using other characters to their full potential in that area.

The only problems I'm having with the game are my neck being strained by using the 3DS for such long periods, my fingertips feeling a bit crap from the hard, shallow buttons, and Up+B. It's taken me a little while to stop killing myself by accidentally using Side+B instead of Up+B, and while I'd say I have gotten used to it, I did fuck up once today... giving me my first loss in Ranked no less. :/
There's also the matter of a particular "Get 5 hits in StreetSmash" I can never complete because I don't know anyone with a 3DS locally and I'm pretty sure no-one in this town is going to be wandering around with one on their person at all.

For the most part the online hasn't been too laggy. It doesn't like 4-player matches, but sometimes it's good... I've not had a 1v1 match lag yet. I'm so glad that I can finally play 1 on 1 Smash... even my old school friends hated playing Smash with me when they were around, and at the end of the day, that's pretty much all I want from it.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
I haven't played it yet, and I'm just gonna wait for the wii u release. But I almost know for certain that I'm sticking with Peach. She's the best character for me since Melee. =D

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I've played around with it a little. I've mostly been doing general matches and have completed Classic with about five characters. I've also run through All Stars and Smash Run once each.

So far I'm loving it. I wouldn't say I have a main character yet, but I'm definitely spending the most time with Shulk and Zero Suit Samus right now. I'm sure Peach, Zelda, Marth, and Samus will start getting more time once I get over the novelty of playing as Shulk and enjoying Zero Suit Samus's changes. I only say that because they were my four main characters in Brawl, and they seem to be just as enjoyable in this game as they were in Brawl. I'd actually say I prefer Zelda in this game to Brawl. I also plan on getting more time with Rosalina and Robin, and I'd imagine I'll also be spending plenty of time with Link and Ike, even if they aren't among my favorites.

Other than the roster, the mechanics are as solid as ever, and I'd even say that I prefer the fighting in this game to Brawl. Classic mode is as great as ever, and Smash Run seems to be a decent mode. At this point, I haven't gotten deeply involved with customizing fighters, but I'd imagine that I'll start doing it more once I get comfortable with what the game already has to offer.

Overall, I've definitely enjoyed what I've played so far, and there seems to be plenty of potential for it to remain enjoyable in the long-run.

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
I really like it, especially Smash Run, but the entire series needs to get it together, competitively. Defensive options are way too powerful, and it's basically a game about tech skill, which is barely a game (Marvel Vs Capcom has the same problem).

In Smash, you can just run away for free. There is nothing stopping you from just getting an early stock lead and stalling the rest of the match. This is why fast characters like Sonic tend to be really high in the tier list, and Ganondorf is stuck at the bottom. There isn't much mix up or mind games at the high levels of smash, and when you win what little there is, you don't get much reward. The mix up in this game is will I, or will I not attack. It makes for a really really defensive game, which is why Brawl was just so boring to watch. It's a bit ironic, too, as Brawl was actually a step up from Melee in a lot of regards, such as getting rid of dash dancing. Dash dancing exacerbated the problem of being able to just run away by taking away all the cost of movement. Unfortunately, though, dash dancing was one of the main points of ambiguity in the game, and points of ambiguity is where mix up and mind games come into play. Now it's mainly baiting your opponent to attack, and then having the correct moves and requisite tech skill to punish it.

Edit:
Sorry for saying Sonic is high tier, the point was that he's a fast character, but I forgot that he isn't high because he can't hit hard enough in Brawl.

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
Its really good fun, however Im finding the small screen a problem. I find it just a little too constrictive, but the new features are great and even though some of the new characters are just clones of others, im having fun with them. Also the AI seems to be a lot better.

Also Kirby is still fantastic in this game, and as good as the other characters are, Kirby is my main man

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I don't know how I ended up maining sonic, but I did, and he literally does not lose for me. Even did the target smash and home run contests to utterly boggling effect.

HeLP mE. I think he's doing it on purpose.

I TOLD YOU I'M NOT TAKING YOU BACK AFTER ALL THOSE GAMES IN THE MID 2000's OKAY.

But in terms of feel I always liked playing as Pit, and the few quirks of Dark Pit haven't put me off ...though he's still not different enough for me to know why he's a character and not a skin...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I only been playing around 6 or 7 (busy at work) as I'm typing this so here is my thought on it so far-

There are way too many characters now! It abit over whelming a little bit.

The new stages are abit of a hit or missed (I hate the Xenoblade stage cos of no middle ground and that reset bomb).

Menu layout is clucterfuck! It took me a few click back and forth to find the mode I was looking for!

Smash Run is a total *****! Seriously the enemies can be overpowered at time (FUCK YOU pink spinning car and Robonik mechs!). I get the least amount of stats which is only doom me in the next round...

I am liking the cutom moves set for the characters especally the Mii Fighter (which I am starting to loved).

As expected I am getting hands cramp when playing it too long (2 hours), kind of similar with my thumb on Brawl.

Speaking of the Mii Fighter, I want to unlocked the headwear and costumes asap! My brawler (alot of combo) and my swordfighter (great swordfight) Mii are my favourite.

At the moment, I haven't got a favourite since I'm trying one at the time and I haven't played them all just yet.

Way a go for making good used of the Streetpass coins which is also why I am broke right now (I used them up).

Despite my complains, I am still loving the game. I haven't spend this long playing on the 3DS since Pokemon X!!!

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I'm really enjoying it so far, but I'm not really an ''expert'' on Smash (or fighting games, period) so take that as you will.

My most used characters are Lucina and Toon Link. I tend to prefer characters with a (relatively) simple, straightforward playstyle.

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
I've basically been binging it this weekend so yeah, I guess I like it.

The intensity feature of Classic Smash is nice, though increase by 0.5 as you go and you soon find there is not much difference between the points. As for Smash Run, I tried it once and then never played that mode again. As for online and getting the damn system transfer to work from my crappy old, secondhand 3DS to my new, sexy Smash 3DS XL? Well, the weekend's been full of frustration since getting both devices on the uni internet is a massive pain in the ass. Hence why online stuff isn't happening for me. Which is sad. One can only tolerate the AIs' attempts so much.

Regardless, Toon Link is mah jam but I'm trying to branch out into being decent with Little Mac. Counters, decent As, the KO mechanic... All so good. But like many Magic: The Gathering players in a draft, he dies to flying (i.e. he is not good in the all).

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009

I main Neil deSmash Tyson.

Sm4sh is alright. Everything feels solid about the game but I'm really looking forward to using a GC controller. I can't play for very long before my left hand cramps from having the corner of the 3DS digging into my palm. When I'm not playing as Neil deSmash Tyson (or Bill Nye the Smashing Guy... or Larry King... or Regis Philbin) I play Samus and Luigi, who've been my mains since the N64. Thanks to Brawl, I'm also very comfortable with Zero-Suit Samus, but she's a bit tricky to control on the 3DS at times.

I find it unfortunate that Luigi doesn't have a patriotic color scheme to compliment Mario's All-American.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Been playing a ton since I've been upgrading my computer (163 Windows updates on a fresh install, jesus...)

I've been swapping between Sheik and Little Mac as my main. Can't decide which I like more yet. Still haven't unlocked all the characters, but I did just get Wario!

Hoping to continue getting better because I really want to get online with this shit!

The difficulty has really been upped. In Smash 64, I was able to take on 3 level 9 Foxes on a team vs myself as Link. 10 stock, and win without dying more than once.

Now? One level 9 gives me so much hell. Loving it, too!

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I picked up a new main each game and use each to this day:

Original: Samus
Melee: Falco
Brawl: Meta Knight
Smash 3DS: Greninja

Greninja is hella fun to play but DAMN this game is difficult. Still trying to beat Master Core at level 9 difficulty.