Smash Bros. Brawl's Project M Mod v3.0 Released - Adds Roy, Mewtwo

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Smash Bros. Brawl's Project M Mod v3.0 Released - Adds Roy, Mewtwo

Any Wii or Wii U user can easily install and play the mod without any hardware or software modifications.

Project M is an ambitious mod for the Wii's Super Smash Bros. Brawl, aimed at bringing Brawl up to the same competitive standard as the GameCube's Super Smash Bros. Melee, while adding some new characters, stages, and features along the way. Version 3.0 of the mod has just been released, and best of all, it can be installed onto any Wii or Wii U [http://projectmgame.com/en/download] without having to perform any kind of hardware or software modifications.

Version 3.0, as well as adding Samus, Kirby, Yoshi, Ice-Climbers and Olimar (thus completing the entire Brawl roster) actually adds two completely new characters that were playable in Melee but absent in Brawl: Roy and Mewtwo. As well as this, many existing characters have received new alternate costumes and models.

The latest version of the mod also features the addition of "turbo mode", a game type in Special VS which allows any character to interrupt moves once they've connected with an opponent. "Chain attacks together to create Turbo speed combos limited only by your imagination and dexterity."

When Super Smash Bros. Brawl was released, the fanbase of people who like getting a bunch of mates together to beat the snot out of Nintendo mascots were thrilled. New characters, new stages, new features! The hardcore fanbase who played the game at a tournament level, were less impressed, lamenting the removal of features such as wave-dashing and the addition of curiosities such as tripping.

As such, Melee has still remained the tournament standard, being played to this day at major tournaments such as EVO [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125968-Evo-2013-Champions-Revealed]. Project M aims to change all of that.

Source: Project M [http://projectmgame.com/en/download]

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Don't forget the people who didn't play at tournaments but still found Brawls game play to be utter crap.

I thought this went under a while ago, now it's one of the very few things I'm looking forward too. And one day, maybe there will be a Melee type Mugen online *drools*.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Aaand no PAL port. and ther I thought about trying it...
Oh well, they might come around to that in time.
Apart from that it's coming along nicely, haven't heard about it for some time and it's good to see that they finally finished the original characters.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
"it can be installed onto any Wii or Wii U without having to perform any kind of hardware or software modifications"

You need an SD card to install it and it also requires you to download a specialized program (like Gecko OS, I believe) to run on the SD card. So this line is actually kind of inaccurate.

Also, Nintendo doesn't approve of this. I'm not the Nintendo police or agree with them on this, but they don't like it. The reasons are both that they don't like you messing with their IPs because they don't like you having any kind of creative control over their product. But the other (and more important) reason is because Project M (like other, better Brawl Mods) require the installation of the Homebrew Channel (another software installation you neglect to mention). And while most people I know use Homebrew for mods and nothing more, it can also be used to pirate games, which is a big no-no, no matter how you look at it.

Personally, I prefer the "Brawl Minus" mod. While it's insane and breaks the characters and the game on some level, it does so in a way where they're all still playable and it balances them in a way where previously shit characters are now able to compete on the same level that the utterly broken Meta Knight was in the basic game. Plus Ganondorf being able to deliver a punch with 666% damage output is just hysterical on a level that no other mod can accomplish... still slow as dicks and not likely to hit, but when it hits, its just hysterical.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
SilverUchiha said:
"it can be installed onto any Wii or Wii U without having to perform any kind of hardware or software modifications"

You need an SD card to install it and it also requires you to download a specialized program (like Gecko OS, I believe) to run on the SD card. So this line is actually kind of inaccurate.

Also, Nintendo doesn't approve of this. I'm not the Nintendo police or agree with them on this, but they don't like it. The reasons are both that they don't like you messing with their IPs because they don't like you having any kind of creative control over their product. But the other (and more important) reason is because Project M (like other, better Brawl Mods) require the installation of the Homebrew Channel (another software installation you neglect to mention). And while most people I know use Homebrew for mods and nothing more, it can also be used to pirate games, which is a big no-no, no matter how you look at it.

Personally, I prefer the "Brawl Minus" mod. While it's insane and breaks the characters and the game on some level, it does so in a way where they're all still playable and it balances them in a way where previously shit characters are now able to compete on the same level that the utterly broken Meta Knight was in the basic game. Plus Ganondorf being able to deliver a punch with 666% damage output is just hysterical on a level that no other mod can accomplish... still slow as dicks and not likely to hit, but when it hits, its just hysterical.
Actually, this mod does not require the installation of the homebrew channel to use

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Actually, this mod does not require the installation of the homebrew channel to use
Really? That's surprising. I thought all the mods required that. I haven't messed with Project M much, so I wasn't aware of that part.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
As someone with a PAL Wii and copy of Brawl, this is exciting and yet daunting at the same time. I've played M before extensively on a friend's modded Wii (removing the region lock is very doable) and it was a blast, all the fun of melee but with squirtle!

I want to get it running on my Wii, but it's no easy task. Not to mention I need to import a copy of Brawl =/

jct31294

Oct 15, 2013
SilverUchiha said:
Steven Bogos said:
Really? That's surprising. I thought all the mods required that. I haven't messed with Project M much, so I wasn't aware of that part.
Actually it uses the smash stack exploit to run gecko OS which then runs Project M. It still uses softmodding, but nothing on your wii is changed. You still have an unmodded Wii when you quit.

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
Yes! I'm currently loving Project M. The level of polish is just amazing, and the free move camera is always nice.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
The question on my mind is, did they give Mewtwo a buff? Or is he just as bad as before?

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
jct31294 said:
SilverUchiha said:
Steven Bogos said:
Actually it uses the smash stack exploit to run gecko OS which then runs Project M. It still uses softmodding, but nothing on your wii is changed. You still have an unmodded Wii when you quit.
Ah! That explains it. I started modding before Smash Stacking became a thing (out of necessity because of an update killing the homebrew channel). So I never really had a need for it and didn't realize how that worked. Makes sense now.