Smash Bros. Director Is Stressed Out Deciding The Roster

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Smash Bros. Director Is Stressed Out Deciding The Roster

Masahiro Sakurai says the process of adding (and removing) characters to the game's roster is stressful to the detriment of his mental and physical well-being

A lot of people take Super Smash Bros. seriously, but none more than game director Masahiro Sakurai. Choosing who stays and who goes on the game's roster is "almost deadly in the amount of time it takes me," Sakurai tells Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/4438642/super-smash-bros-director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection].

Three new characters (the Villager, Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer) have already been announced for the new game, but Sakurai wants to "trim the fat" from the old Brawl roster, meaning for every new character added you can probably expect an old one to be cut.

Sakurai says cutting old characters is much more difficult and stressful than adding new ones, telling us that "taking a character out [of the game] is what really hurts a lot."

"Whether it's a minor character or a character that is one of the most highly skilled and most played, if that character is removed from the game, the people who live for that character in Smash Bros. are going to have their feelings hurt."

"The amount of stress I feel, it's almost to the brink of death," said Sakurai, "Because it's not just a matter of me personally thinking this character or that character is going to be in the game; it's that we also have the game balance, animation, graphics and sound to think about in order to make that character fully fleshed out in that universe. I have to think about all of that when I go through this decision-making process."

Sakurai says the in the process of deciding the fate of a character, the developers ask themselves "What is the uniqueness of this character? What does this character bring into the Smash Bros. universe? What do they have that other characters don't? How do they complement or contrast other characters?" He says that Mega Man's inclusion was assured because of his unique move set surrounding the Variable Weapons System.

As for recurring characters, Sakurai promises that they will be re-built from scratch from the ground up. Characters should feel familiar to veterans of the series, but will be refined to help emphasis the character's "uniqueness."

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS comes out for the aforementioned systems in 2014.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/4438642/super-smash-bros-director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection]

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
Considering Brawl's efforts to cut down on the pure clones of Melee, I can imagine how hard it is to choose. There aren't Dr Marios and Pichus around for an easy cut this time.

On the other hand.... Why the hell do you have to choose? It's not like Smash Bros is particularly spacious on the disc. You could easily have a roster in the hundreds! I'd wager even the 3DS could handle far more than you're going to end up giving us.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Crazie_Guy said:
Considering Brawl's efforts to cut down on the pure clones of Melee, I can imagine how hard it is to choose. There aren't Dr Marios and Pichus around for an easy cut this time.

On the other hand.... Why the hell do you have to choose? It's not like Smash Bros is particularly spacious on the disc. You could easily have a roster in the hundreds! I'd wager even the 3DS could handle far more than you're going to end up giving us.
Well more characters would be even harder to balance but technical limitations I wouldn't have a clue. Maybe they need the space or maybe they don't, couldn't tell you.

Though you are right about there is no easy choices to remove. Maybe game and watch and one of the starfox companions considering how little they do anything with starfox.

I just hope there is finally another character from metroid in it.

Dec 14, 2009
We need at least 3 more space furries so that all stages can be all Land Mastah, all teh time!

I'm more concerned as to whether they've actually balanced the damn final smashes.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I feel he is looking too much into it. I know it's important to think things through but they have so many characters to choose from, and I reckon some of the teams could easily be cut down for other characters to get a chance just once at least. How many characters do you need from Zelda and Mario really? You are going to hurt many people either way since everyone loves certain games for certain reasons, just compare Brawl to Melee and wonder where the hate came from.

"What is the uniqueness of this character? What does this character bring into the Smash Bros. universe? What do they have that other characters don't? How do they complement or contrast other characters?"
Looking past all the previous titles they all have a lot to offer, and I don't understand why they can't just add in new elements as well to make things a little more interesting. I mean, does every move and every level have to be from a classic game? The 'A' attacks aren't from classic games and some of those melee attacks where far more useful than the special abilities.

Maybe it's one of those times where you have so many great choices it's too difficult to decide. I'm usually like that at my favourite restaurants.

drschplatt

Aug 18, 2010
I can think of two characters they could get rid of that no one will care about so that they can make room for good one. I would suggest removing the Villager and the Wii fit Trainer. I mean, really? Why are they in the game?

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
Presuming, and it's reasonable to do so, that he's being honest, it's genuinely surprising how un-shitted-out these games are.

I'm not even saying it'll be good. I'm saying that any other company would be making a bigger and barely-refined sequel in this franchise *every year*.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Rutskarn said:
Presuming, and it's reasonable to do so, that he's being honest, it's genuinely surprising how un-shitted-out these games are.

I'm not even saying it'll be good. I'm saying that any other company would be making a bigger and barely-refined sequel in this franchise *every year*.
I think we can all attest to that! Love or hate his changes to the roster, at least the guy in genuinely stressing about it and trying his best to make the best game possible, instead of just pumping out a new version every 12 months...

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Crazie_Guy said:
THIS exactly, I mean, you could tell they were definitely using that (mini) DVD extra space on Melee with lots of characters (still my favorite roster though) and you could definitely tell that Brawl used every single megabyte available for a dual layer DVD, even though the roster wasn't expanded that much, you could feel it did.

I mean, the Wii U literally uses Blu-ray discs, it's not like they could suddendly run out of space. Why not just add more instead of removing them?, make it a massive roster!, I don't care if it gets shitty characters, Marvel vs Capcom 2 does and nobody gives a shit!.

Dec 14, 2009
drschplatt said:
I can think of two characters they could get rid of that no one will care about so that they can make room for good one. I would suggest removing the Villager and the Wii fit Trainer. I mean, really? Why are they in the game?
I'm sorry what.

Did Villager ask for your opinion?

How about you Wii Fit Trainer? What do you have to say?

I thought so.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
SupahGamuh said:
Crazie_Guy said:
THIS exactly, I mean, you could tell they were definitely using that (mini) DVD extra space on Melee with lots of characters (still my favorite roster though) and you could definitely tell that Brawl used every single megabyte available for a dual layer DVD, even though the roster wasn't expanded that much, you could feel it did.

I mean, the Wii U literally uses Blu-ray discs, it's not like they could suddendly run out of space. Why not just add more instead of removing them?, make it a massive roster!, I don't care if it gets shitty characters, Marvel vs Capcom 2 does and nobody gives a shit!.
I believe he said he wanted to keep the roster small for "balance" reasons

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Crazie_Guy said:

Au contraire, Brawl was actually the first Wii game to require a double-layer disc and even then it filled that to the brim. We can argue how much of that is taken up by the game's 300-song soundtrack, but the game's other assets take up quite a bit of space as well, especially the characters.

There were actually a lot of tricks in Brawl to help cut down on the loading times. For instance, when you choose your character and color on the select screen, the disc automatically starts loading that model and skin before you even get to the next screen. That way, by the time you actually get to the game, it's already partially loaded and the actual match loads quicker. You're actually discouraged from fiddling around with your character choice in Brawl, because the game'll keep starting to load everything you pick and it'll increase load time.

To be fair, though, Brawl characters were incredibly detailed and I'm not just talking for a Wii game. The Wii was only 480p, but the models and characters were very high resolution to the point that they still look really good imported [http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs51/i/2009/262/7/8/Brawl_Link_in_Gmod_testing_by_Ryu_Gi.jpg] into [http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/032/6/3/gmod___brawl_or_tf2__by_stormbadger-d38j3xp.jpg] Garry's [http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs51/i/2009/331/1/0/Mario__Luigi_and_Peach_Gmod_by_Mandiny.jpg] Mod [http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/266/e/e/brawl_models_in_gmod_by_majormario-d2zbt59.jpg]. Why they put all the effort into said characters in an SD game where the action is usually zoomed-out is anyone's guess.

TWO WEEKS LATER...

Actually, it may be for the pre-rendered cutscenes in The Subspace Emissary. The models in those cutscenes are exactly the same models used in the game itself, and since the cutscenes have to look good...

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I'm noth worried about the thought of cut characters because I can always play older versions of the game either on my Wii U or my GameCube. I hope that whatever the roster is it has a lot of variety.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
I can definitely see that.

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I was sadly underwhelmed with the trailer and announcement of the new Smash Bros game. It just felt lacking. This may seem petty, but looking at the announcement of Brawl, it felt grander and more epic, but most importantly more characters. We had Metaknight, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, and Snake. All of them fantastic characters, characters that make sense. Characters that made us shit our pants when we learned we were going to finally play as them [small](maybe not Zero Suit Samus, but you get the idea, right?)[/small]. The newest trailer didn't seem to have the same amount of "Oomph" that the previous one had. And other than what the meme spouting might say, did any of you really desire to play as the Animal Crossing villager? Or the goddam Wii Fit trainer? Mega Man I totally get, though. I'm on board with Mega Man.

What I'm trying to say is that Nintendo doesn't really seem to have a lot of enthusiasm for this game. And the only one who really seems to give a shit just might be Sakurai. The rest of Nintendo just might see this as inevitable and something that was bound to happen. It wasn't really supposed to be epic for them, it was "yeah yeah, here you go, now shut up and take it." But this is still Sakurai's child and he still cares for it. So I think he wants this to be a much more advanced balanced game for people to take a bit more seriously. This just might be why he's having such a stressful time picking and choosing characters. Hell, you'd think with the newest game in the franchise, we'd have waves and waves of new characters, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And that's kinda sad...

But I only ask Sakurai to do this: Just keep the roster from the original Super Smash Bros for the N64 [small](Luigi, Mario, DK, Link, Samus, Captain Falcon, Ness, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, and Jigglypuff)[/small]. They're veterans, been there from the beginning. You know you want to keep them in, dude. Everyone else can fuck off! :D

If none of my ramblings make sense, it's because I am up late for some reason. Shut up, this argument makes sense to me.

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
I guess this means there are going to be more new characters than previously thought. I mean, if thee was a 1:1 new character-cut ratio, then it would be pretty easy to find three characters to cut from Brawl. Those being ROB, Mr G&W, and Wolf. Easy cuts afterward include Snake, Lucario, Lucas, ZSS, Falco, and Toon Link (who is a confirmed cut).

I'm very happy that Sakurai seems to be keeping his word with having a more streamlined Smash experience.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Smash Bros. is one of those games any Nintendo fan will buy, yet the inclusion of the Wii Fit Trainer confuses me since that was apart of a product non-gamers bought since Wii Fit wasn't so much a video game but a casual training device. If we get "her" over the likes of Wario, Metaknight or even Mr Game & Watch then I think the fan service which the game has always been built upon is lacking.

Even Sonic still makes sense.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
drschplatt said:
I'm sorry what.

Did Villager ask for your opinion?

How about you Wii Fit Trainer? What do you have to say?

I thought so.

Ot: Well I can see how getting rid of some characters would be hard but there are a few characters that in my opinion are easy choices.
Here's who I think could be trimmed;
Toon Link, Wolf, R.O.B, Lucas, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, Mr. Game & Watch, Zero Suit Samus and Lucario.
(Lucario is my main and favorite but I really think he could be cut for someone new without to much hassle)

Now just give me Klonoa in exchange.