Smash Bros. Director Justifies New Character Choices

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Starik20X6 said:
I've got no problems with the new roster so far. That said, with all this talk of "removing all the non-unique characters", I'm worried that my main man Luigi might not make the cut this time around... Unless his move set is completely re-done to distinguish him from Mario...

Actually, if Luigi doesn't return, I'm gonna main Villager. Because Animal Crossing is fucking boss.
Really truly doubt they'll get rid of Luigi. How could they honestly do that with a straight face?! He's my favorite character. They can't!

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
rasputin0009 said:
Didn't want to bring Mewtwo back? Or an extra Fire Emblem character? Or Toad? Or any other beloved character? Wii Fit Trainer instead? I'm sure that bundle of personality will make all of her fans scream with joy.
Well, having her as kind of a blank slate means the internet will (and already has) give her a personality of her own. She's wacky, but part of the endearing quality of Smash Bros has been its utter silliness. I certainly like having her in there rather than two-three beloved characters which just end up being pixel swaps of other characters.

I think she'll grow on us to be honest. Still, I'd rather them expand the roster rather than retract it. I know there are balance issues with having so many characters, but when has Smash Bros ever been anything close to balanced?

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
This just like the roster updates for MVC.
1: Surprise
2: Rage
3: Acceptance
4: Hype

For example, who gave a shit about Nova before UMVC3? Or Rocket Racoon? I'm betting that'll be the case here is well.
Hell, the Villager and Wii Fit trainer have already went through the process.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
"Justify?" I certainly don't need any. I was on board the second I found out it wasn't a joke.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
I'm surprised they needed to justify Wii Fit Trainer Girl. When R.O.B and Mr. Game&Watch was announced nobody seemed to mind but Trainer Girl comes out and they gotta provide an explanation?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Diablo1099 said:
This just like the roster updates for MVC.
1: Surprise
2: Rage
3: Acceptance
4: Hype

For example, who gave a shit about Nova before UMVC3? Or Rocket Racoon? I'm betting that'll be the case here is well.
Hell, the Villager and Wii Fit trainer have already went through the process.

First off, love the Internet memes for Villager and Wii Fit Trainer.

Second, I like how the roster is so far. I wanna see more unique characters in this and other fighting games. I can understand people being upset about past characters not making the cut. I was upset about Mega Man's exclusion from MvC3 but seeing him in SSB makes up for it a bit (maybe Capcom should work with Nintendo in order to get the blue bomber back on the shelves more often). Hell, I wasn't happy that Scorpion was a DLC for Injustice but I wasn't gonna have a cow over it.

I'm hoping Nintendo will make an appearance at Evo 2013 with a playable demo for people to try out and info on new and returning characters. I'd like to see Little Mac from Punch Out make it into the game.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Mr. Q said:
First off, love the Internet memes for Villager and Wii Fit Trainer.

Second, I like how the roster is so far. I wanna see more unique characters in this and other fighting games. I can understand people being upset about past characters not making the cut. I was upset about Mega Man's exclusion from MvC3 but seeing him in SSB makes up for it a bit (maybe Capcom should work with Nintendo in order to get the blue bomber back on the shelves more often). Hell, I wasn't happy that Scorpion was a DLC for Injustice but I wasn't gonna have a cow over it.

I'm hoping Nintendo will make an appearance at Evo 2013 with a playable demo for people to try out and info on new and returning characters. I'd like to see Little Mac from Punch Out make it into the game.
Yeah, Little Mac would be great for a game like this.

Already have his Final Smash down, like for Snakes one in Brawl with the helicopter and the grenade launcher, as Mac grows massive and starts wailing on everyone, just like in Punch Out! Wii.

Still, holding out for some insane Capcom Vs. Nintendo game! ^_^

KingWein22

Jun 4, 2010
Love the memes, love the roster so far. Wii Fit Trainer's is more awesome than The Villager's.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
some people take SSB way too seriously. It's why I have basically banned "competitive" play whenever I bring Brawl over.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I dunno, i think this can turn out great.

I mean, if it worked for Tekken to include a boxing dinosaur and kangaroo, as well as a fighting panda then the Wii Fit Trainer shouldn't make people bat too many eyes.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
At first I was like :mad:

I read through the thread, looked at the pictures.

And then I was like >:)

Gonna beat up some nerds with the wii fitness trainer. Aww yeah. (for reals though, can you imagine the rage? This will be delightful.)

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Ugh I can't believe they're adding so many ridiculous characters. Smash Bros is supposed to be serious, they really should remove everyone who isn't a Fox clone.

P.S. Thanks

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
Honestly, at this point, whatever they do, I just hope they take that ****ing random tripping out.
Apparently that has been confirmed to be gone.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Epicspoon said:
You know something? Even once the games is released and several people are butthurt over who did and didn't get in, I would bet money that there will be DLC this time around. Nintendo seems to be picking up on it more and more.

All I ask is that they keep Jigglypuff. I know Jigglypuff is one of the classic characters but I have seen countless people complaining to have Jigglypuff removed and very few arguing back. I don't give a crap about Jigglypuff in the actual Pokemon games but in Smash Bros shes just so much fun to play as.
DLC with the characters that got cut... I'd buy that.

And yeah, I hope they don't cut Jigglypuff out. Sure, she/he/it has been in all the other games, so he/she/it will probably make it into the new game... hopefully.

Are you listening, Nintendo? I'd pay for SSB-DLC. And I doubt I'm the only one.

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
sturryz said:
it's like MvC3 all over again with the roster change, and we all know how that went over.
Lets just hope that no one too important got removed to make room for these characters.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.819164-Smash-Bros-Director-Is-Stressed-Out-Deciding-The-Roster
Unless you really like a clone/almost clone character, there is no need to worry (hopefully).

Starik20X6 said:
I've got no problems with the new roster so far. That said, with all this talk of "removing all the non-unique characters", I'm worried that my main man Luigi might not make the cut this time around... Unless his move set is completely re-done to distinguish him from Mario...

Actually, if Luigi doesn't return, I'm gonna main Villager. Because Animal Crossing is fucking boss.
Luigi already has a fairly different move set, so he will probably be fine.

Personally, I'm thinking that unless they drastically change their move sets (Falco, Wolf, Ganondorf, and Lucas), they will likely be cut. Ganondorf will probably stay, as he has a fair amount of potential for a different move set.

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
Luminous_Umbra said:
sturryz said:
it's like MvC3 all over again with the roster change, and we all know how that went over.
Lets just hope that no one too important got removed to make room for these characters.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.819164-Smash-Bros-Director-Is-Stressed-Out-Deciding-The-Roster
Unless you really like a clone/almost clone character, there is no need to worry (hopefully).

Starik20X6 said:

Luigi already has a fairly different move set, so he will probably be fine.

Personally, I'm thinking that unless they drastically change their move sets (Falco, Wolf, Ganondorf, and Lucas), they will likely be cut. Ganondorf will probably stay, as he has a fair amount of potential for a different move set.
Maybe let Ganondorf actually, ya know, USE his sword?

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
Exactly what I was thinking, although it would also be nice if he used his magic for something other than wrapping around his feet and hands to hit people with.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Luminous_Umbra said:
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
Exactly what I was thinking, although it would also be nice if he used his magic for something other than wrapping around his feet and hands to hit people with.
So, what, Ganondorf as a sort of fusion between Link and Zelda's movepools (at least cosmetically)?

Yeah, I could go for that.