Smash Bros. Fan With Early Copy Streams Gameplay, Leaks Characters - Update

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
Why so so many people hate Duck Hunt Dog. I literally have not seen one legit reason. I know many people that will appreciate his inclusion, as he is a very recognizable character. Yeah, it is a bit of a ridiculous character, but it's Smash, so none of it makes sense anyways. DHD looks to be a great new original character, and a (finally) recognizable NES character to most people (unlike IC, or ROB)

It isn't desperate. They're trying some new, and fairly humorous. I definitely know he'll be a potential secondary for me.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Silentpony said:
I honestly thought it was another TacoNews. I mean the duck hunt dog? That's just desperate. That's a whole new level of beating a dead horse, Nintendo. Why not have I Am Error? Or just the Nintendo logo?
The more I heat about this game, the less I like it.
Really?

I don't see what is so bad about it, if they can have Game & Watch and ROB(is ROB even in this one?) then why not the Duck Hunt dog? I honestly think it's hilarious and can't wait to see what they did with his moveset.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Tank207 said:
Silentpony said:
I honestly thought it was another TacoNews. I mean the duck hunt dog? That's just desperate. That's a whole new level of beating a dead horse, Nintendo. Why not have I Am Error? Or just the Nintendo logo?
The more I heat about this game, the less I like it.
Really?

I don't see what is so bad about it, if they can have Game & Watch and ROB(is ROB even in this one?) then why not the Duck Hunt dog? I honestly think it's hilarious and can't wait to see what they did with his moveset.
It seems to me he's a sort of retro compilation character like Pacman with the duck being used as a assist like Banjo and Kazooie. I don't know if the zapper is part of his move set though, it seems likely.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Ugh. I dislike how much representation Kid Icarus gets. Blatant Nepotism from Sakurai I say

However those Koopalings look fucking tops. I think I know who I'm maining from the looks of it. Roy's our Boy.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
ToastiestZombie said:
Tank207 said:
Silentpony said:
Really?

It seems to me he's a sort of retro compilation character like Pacman with the duck being used as a assist like Banjo and Kazooie. I don't know if the zapper is part of his move set though, it seems likely.
I'm just not convinced Duck Hunt Dog has the...fanbase? Not ever sure if that's the right term. It just seems...cheap, you know? At this point, just add more Pokemon or make up a new character. The new ones, Wii Fit lady, Duck Hunt Dog...it just seems lazy. What if Street Fighter add the background Chef? Or Mortal Kombat added their logo with hands and legs?
This whole thing reminds me of the old Transformers's games where the enemy bosses were literally just the Decepticon logo. Not a Transformer, just the logo.
Game&Watch was cute as he was a retro character. Yay retro! But it looses its novelty if half the cast are retro characters. It just shows how stagnant Nintendo has been that they have to go all the way back to Duck Hunt to find new characters.

Personally, I would have gone with a Blue Shell. Blue Shell would have been an amazing character!

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Silentpony said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Tank207 said:
Silentpony said:
Really?

I'm just not convinced Duck Hunt Dog has the...fanbase? Not ever sure if that's the right term. It just seems...cheap, you know? At this point, just add more Pokemon or make up a new character. The new ones, Wii Fit lady, Duck Hunt Dog...it just seems lazy. What if Street Fighter add the background Chef? Or Mortal Kombat added their logo with hands and legs?
This whole thing reminds me of the old Transformers's games where the enemy bosses were literally just the Decepticon logo. Not a Transformer, just the logo.
Game&Watch was cute as he was a retro character. Yay retro! But it looses its novelty if half the cast are retro characters. It just shows how stagnant Nintendo has been that they have to go all the way back to Duck Hunt to find new characters.

Personally, I would have gone with a Blue Shell. Blue Shell would have been an amazing character!
I don't personally think it is lazy. If anything the Duck Hunt Dog and the Wii Fitt Trainer are creative as hell. I mean, who would have thought they would part of this game? I don't think it is the same as just putting their logo as a character (though I admit the idea of it made me laugh pretty hard). I get it though, most people want their dream characters like MewTwo and Ridley. So seeing a bunch of old school joke characters can be frustrating. However, I think should be more upset about the clones personally, mainly Dr.Mario and Dark Pitt. Now that's pretty lazy coping movesets and animations like that. Well, I hope they are a least a little different.

Also the Blue Shell is actually an item in this game. So it has no chance being part of the roaster (this time anyway).

OT: Call me a fool, but want to just play this thing. I don't care who is on the roaster at this point.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Nintendo must be pissed, what legal stuff can they hit him with?
They can't hit him with anything. They would need to go after whoever sold him the copy. Now if he is an employee and just took an early copy from his place of employment that changes things tremendously, but he claims he was just sold it early.

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
Liquidprid3 said:
Why so so many people hate Duck Hunt Dog. I literally have not seen one legit reason.
For many, including myself, the issue is less "Duck Hunt Dog" and more the fact that his inclusion means that something else was looked over/removed to put him in. Generally, the idea is "But I wanted x character instead!" While this may sound petty, there's a lot that people want out of their characters, and DHD basically fulfills none of it.

We haven't seen a Duck Hunt game in a LONG time, and have no reason to expect one in the near future. The game is not a "core" game (people only know of it because it was an add-on on the original Super Mario Bros). The game does not need interest to boost sales or rebuild knowledge for a future game. DHD was never a playable character. DHD has no reason to be in a fighting game. The list goes on.

Remember the first big announcement of new Characters? Wii Fit Trainer, AC Villager, and Mega Man. You know who people ragged on? Wii Fit Trainer. Sure, she developed her fanbase quickly, but a lot of people did not like her inclusion. And, by the above metric, it's reasonable. How many of the above conditions does Trainer meet compared to ACV or Mega Man? WFT fits one of them, whereas Mega Man and even ACV fit most or all of them.

But people got over WFT quickly, because there were still 20+ characters to reveal. While the announcement here is so fresh it's hard to tell when we'll get over it, but I think it's gonna last, because we've reached the end of our line.

The hate isn't only for that dog, either. Paulentina, Baby Bowser and Rosalina are annoying. Dr Mario and Dark Pit not being reskins are freaking terrible choices. It's just that all of the hate for the roster is coming out in that one dog, simply because he's a great example of what the hell people are upset with on the roster. Same thing happened with ROB in Brawl, it should not be surprising that it's happening here too.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Silentpony said:
ToastiestZombie said:

Why are you comparing Duck Hunt Dog to shit like the Blue Shell? I don't get it.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
MrPhyntch said:
The hate isn't only for that dog, either. Paulentina, Baby Bowser and Rosalina are annoying. Dr Mario and Dark Pit not being reskins are freaking terrible choices. It's just that all of the hate for the roster is coming out in that one dog, simply because he's a great example of what the hell people are upset with on the roster. Same thing happened with ROB in Brawl, it should not be surprising that it's happening here too.
Palutena, Bowser Jr and Rosalina are fine additions, they're from over-represented franchises sure but from the gameplay I've seen they're interesting characters. People just don't know what they want with Smash rosters, they don't want clones but they want Mewtwo, Lucas and Wolf, they don't want swordsman but they want Isaac from Golden Sun, they think Wii Fit Trainer and DHD are too out there yet they want Snake, Warioware's Ashley and Rayman. All the while ignoring newcomers such as Mega-man, Pac-man, Little Mac, Villager, Shulk, Greninja and Miis because they don't fit the shit-roster point of view.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Duck Hunt Dog objectively? Eh it was an okay game with a incredibly okay peripheral that came with the Phoenix Down of the game industry super mario bros. Personally? Yes, this is a character you really needed to bring up, but as an asisst or as a retro stage, not a whole character for gods sake, there are so many other options that could be argued, especially the games that are successful only in the east or games that do well critically but need help pushing the sales. Do I want Klonoa? Yes, but only because I think the dog is a BAD choice, I don't mind losing a good character for a good character. I'd be just as happy if say Lloyd from the Tales series most memorable game for many people was present, or anyone who shows clear thought and consideration into the large pool of possible additions.....speaking of which..

What's the character tally at now(character not reskins)? I thought sakurai said he was trimming the roster, but it seems pretty damn big now, not sure if it overtakes Brawl though.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
MrPhyntch said:
Dammit. I knew he was a long shot because his series hasn't put out a good game in a long time, but I'm genuinely pissed that freaking Duck Hunt Dog beat Isaac (Golden Sun) as a playable character in Smash Bros.

Ah well, a man can dream. And there's always the hope for DLC...
Yeah I've wanted Isaac in there for such a long time too. However, I think it's neat to have the Duck Hunt Dog, it's just so unexpected. Now having Dark Pit and possibly Dr. Mario as separate characters over Isaac, or other new characters? That is kind of messed up. Was anyone really clamoring for Dr. Mario to return?

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
ProfMcStevie said:
What's the character tally at now(character not reskins)? I thought sakurai said he was trimming the roster, but it seems pretty damn big now, not sure if it overtakes Brawl though.
It's definitely past Brawl now. Just on the Smash Bros. site alone there are 39 separate characters, not including the others that are to be announced officially. Plus there are the other skins like having Olimar and Alf, along with a few others that will add even more "characters" to the game.

Brawl had 35 characters just for reference. Having Samus/Zero Suit Samus and Zelda/Sheik as separate characters certainly helped boost the roster.

keiththegeek

Sep 8, 2014
Roster is much bigger than Brawl. Including the clones and Mii Fighters, I think we've hit 51, and Brawl's was...34? 39? Regardless, Brawl was under 40 characters.

As far as this roster goes, I'm mostly okay with it. I'd have picked a different Pokemon than Greninja (although he is fun to use), and I'd definitely would have included Ridley on it. But the characters we did get are mostly great. The only exception is Dark Pit...the bias is so incredibly strong with his inclusion here. And the worst part is basically none of the Kid Icarus content is from the original, only Uprising.

I'm actually fine with Dr. Mario. Sure, he probably should've been a costume, but we now have a Mario with FLUDD and a Mario with the Tornado. It's a fun way to have pre-Brawl and post-Brawl Mario in the game, while bringing back a somewhat-popular character from Melee.

I'm annoyed they have the rights to Rayman only to use him as a trophy and not a character, though.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
Hero of Lime said:
Yeah I've wanted Isaac in there for such a long time too. However, I think it's neat to have the Duck Hunt Dog, it's just so unexpected. Now having Dark Pit and possibly Dr. Mario as separate characters over Isaac, or other new characters? That is kind of messed up. Was anyone really clamoring for Dr. Mario to return?
The benefit to Dr. Mario is he has been given a lot of the classic Mario moves (like the tornado down b instead of fludd). So normal Mario's modified specials include various versions of fludd for down b while Dr. Mario has an entirely different set. This is just one example I've seen that they have many different moves although they share up b for sure.

This allows people who prefer one type of Mario to the other to have options (a lot of pros dropped Mario because fludd is stupid, but they might pick up Dr. Mario).

I am assuming Dark Pit has a different range of moves as well but I haven't seen confirmation of that yet.

Anyway I wouldn't view Dark Pit or Dr. Mario as being in instead of someone else. They were easy clones to make and the decision was probably more along the lines of, do we have less characters or go ahead and add these? Presumably part of the team with nothing else to work on was permitted to put them in since clones probably require less oversight than entirely new models/moves.

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
I'd play the hell out of the Duck Hunt Dog, so long as his laugh is incorporated somehow. Whether as a taunt or a move, I care not.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
fieryshadowcard said:
I'd play the hell out of the Duck Hunt Dog, so long as his laugh is incorporated somehow. Whether as a taunt or a move, I care not.
It's in a bunch of his animations. His introduction animation is him popping out of the grass and laughing, his taunt is laughing and if I remember correctly his victory animation is laughing.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
MrPhyntch said:
The hate isn't only for that dog, either. Paulentina, Baby Bowser and Rosalina are annoying.
All of which look like fun characters to play as with interesting fighting styles, I'm more upset at the fact that Ganondorf is still a Captain Falcon clone. I'd love to have the Hyrule Warriors version of Ganondorf in a Smash game.

It boggles my mind when people complain about "wasted slots" when there aren't a set limit of slots in the first place, I'm sure the Duck Hunt Dog got added because some guys in the development team were talking about how fun/funny it would be to have him in the game. I highly doubt that they put a fan favorite character in (like Zero from Mega Man X for example) and then decided to cut them out and replace them with the dog.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The rest of the remaining rouster is not a suprise except for the Hunt dog and duck. Does this mean there will be a new Dunk Hunt game in the future like Pit?