Smell Like an Orc With D&D-Inspired Perfume

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Smell Like an Orc With D&D-Inspired Perfume

What does a Dwarf smell like? How about a Chaotic Half-Elf Rogue?

It's easy to simulate most of our senses in a tabletop RPG campaign. Sight? The dungeon-master draws a map, and characters are represented with figurines. Sound? With digital media, you could score your game with a soundtrack, or just make the sounds with your voice like you did when you were a kid. Touch? Hit each other with bopper swords.

Taste and Smell are a bit trickier, but we may have that last one covered. Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab [http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/rpg.html] has released its new line of RPG-inspired perfumes and cologne based on standard fantasy races, classes, and even alignments.

You might opt to pick up the Dwarf scent, which is made with "iron filings and chips of stone, Styrian Golding hops, and soot-covered leather," in comparison to the Half-Elf's "white sandalwood, beeswax, white tea leaf, oud, and a hint of sophisticated urban musk."

According to Black Phoenix, a Paladin smells like "immaculate white musk, sweet frankincense, bourbon vanilla, white leather, and shining armor," while a Fighter is just "leather, musk, blood, and steel."

Frankly, this all makes sense. A Dwarf smells like iron and stone and beer, a Paladin smells holy - but how on earth do you make a fragrance for character alignments? Black Phoenix tried its damnedest, assigning "rigid oak, blue chamomile, rhubarb, and fig leaf" to those of the Lawful persuasion, whereas those sinister Evil folks get "smouldering opium tar, tobacco absolute, green tea, black plum, kush, ambergris accord, ambrette seed, and costus root."

This is actually very cool and you can tell a lot of thought went into it. Honestly, if more D&D players wore cologne, conventions might smell a whole lot better.

Pick up a phial of your choice at Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab [http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/rpg.html].

(Via Neatorama [http://www.neatorama.com/2011/04/20/dungeons-dragons-themed-perfumes/])

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
John Funk said:
Taste and Smell are a bit trickier, but we may have that last one covered.
I remembered that we apparently had taste covered as well thanks to Jones Soda. Dungeons and Dragons: The Soda [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94765-Dungeons-and-Dragons-The-Soda].

theguiltyone

Jan 6, 2010
Oh God, Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab is an addiction. Their scents are all so complex and lovely...well, most, anyway. Some of them smell a little too much like what they're meant to (I can't think of enough occasions to smell like wet dirt, for example, though it's lovely as an added touch to a zombie costume) and some just aren't to my taste, but the vast majority of them are absolutely amazing.

I've been waiting for this section to go up.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Sounds really cool, shame these aren't at brick stores so you could actually sniff and see which one you like before buying. I'd hate to get one that sounds like it would smell great but then you put it on and can't stand it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
AMAZING!

I will, of course, need to mix-and-match. Dwarven Rouge who is Lawful but, Evil. That should be an interesting scent. Or more realistically, 4 scents to switch to and from day-to-day.

Wharrgarble

Jun 22, 2010
I'm such a sucker for perfume, and Black Phoenix has some amazing scents. Just ordered Cleric, here's to hoping it's as awesome as it looks.

Vet2501

Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger
Nov 9, 2009
Would love to try some of these. Too bad they only ship to the US.

MarkusWolfe

Jun 21, 2010
I was disappointed not to see barbarian scent in there. Then again, wearing double the usual amount of fighter with fur and concentrated rage might smell like barbarian anyways.....and BARD! Where is the bard scent? I need a scent I can LARP AND get the ladies with!

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
Im a bit of a bloodhound when it comes to scents sometimes, you should smell my house.

I am literally (LITERALLY) going to buy this. Im going to for the fighter. The way its described reminds me of the smell of an engine with blood on it, but im sure its nice.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
This is pretty neat.

DO NOTE:

If you are new to cologne, MORE COLOGNE DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN YOU SMELL BETTER

Feb 13, 2008
whereas those sinister Evil folks get "smouldering opium tar, tobacco absolute, green tea, black plum, kush, ambergris accord, ambrette seed, and costus root."
So Costus is actually the root of all evil. ;)

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
whereas those sinister Evil folks get "smouldering opium tar, tobacco absolute, green tea, black plum, kush, ambergris accord, ambrette seed, and costus root."
So Costus is actually the root of all evil. ;)
Go to your room right now and think about what you've done, mister.