Smite: Finally a MOBA I can enjoy.

Nymi

Nov 26, 2011
Okay, I don't want to go all nuts here, but just be careful. Smite's developer, HiRez, is literally satan. They have more or less left the players of their last games out to dry, so, well... Just be careful. I loved Tribes: Ascend, but it was also the last HiRez game I ever spend money on. They're not worth it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Smertnik said:
Meh. The game mostly feels like LoL with shoulder camera. Same mechanics, same kinds of abilities, same boring items, same business model. Not really a fan of the art style, either. That being said, I'd probably recommend it to someone who enjoys the way LoL does things.

RaikuFA said:
I hate how unfriendly it is to newcomers.
It's really not, otherwise the genre would hardly be that popular. As long as you've skimmed through a general guide beforehand you're good to go. There's of course the relatively high information floor but most games offer ways to eliminate or diminish it in some ways, at least in the beginning.
RaikuFA said:
I've said this about basketball and fighters and I will say it about MOBA's. If I had a time machine, I would go back in time and make sure all 3 were never created.
Seriously? You want something to stop existing just because you don't enjoy it? Who exactly forces you to play these games, Mr Grinch?
Basketball, yes. It was horrible. Kind of with a fighter but no on MOBAs. I tried one though and all of what I mentioned kept happening.

bfgmetalhead

Aug 4, 2010
I will play it Smite eventually, but I am still waiting on the Jesus,Mohammed and Abraham expansions.

Don't know why but I get the feeling Mohammed would be a great initiator or burst damage, and Jesus would probably be support with Mel Gibson summons? Abraham would just kinda be like the best character ever. His ult would be to create three jugs of milk and then watch all other players kill each other over them.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Nymi said:
Okay, I don't want to go all nuts here, but just be careful. Smite's developer, HiRez, is literally satan. They have more or less left the players of their last games out to dry, so, well... Just be careful. I loved Tribes: Ascend, but it was also the last HiRez game I ever spend money on. They're not worth it.
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
The fucking feels man, I'm never gonna forgive them for that. Literally Satan is quite a good description.
Care to elaborate? What did they actually do with Tribes? Or not do?

(I actually tried Tribes at one point. Interesting game, but way too reliant on shooting tiny, fast-moving targets at long range. Wish the fun movement system could be used in something more interesting than a shooter. Wasn't a fan of the game's payment options either.)

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Zhukov said:
Care to elaborate? What did they actually do with Tribes? Or not do?
The accusation with Hi-Rez is that they abandon all previous games as soon as they are working on another. So far as I can tell it started with Global Agenda; they stopped development on that as soon as they started work on Tribes. And then they stopped work on Tribes as soon as Smite became a thing. That's the forum talk; I've not been there for any of it.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Love to see mythological deities duking it out but I fucking hate MOBA's. I hate their communities. I hate how they punish you for losing by making you wait longer after each time you're killed. I hate how unfriendly it is to newcomers. I hate how you're forced to sit at the base because your teammates called all 3 lanes to solo.

I've said this about basketball and fighters and I will say it about MOBA's. If I had a time machine, I would go back in time and make sure all 3 were never created.
1. Fair enough
2. Game balance, happens in a lot of shooters too.
3. So are hardcore RPGs but everyone loves them
4. This has never happens and even if someone calls solos you'll always have a lane to sit in.

5. Or you could just...not play them?

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Zhukov said:
Did super Monday night combat not tickle your fancy? It seems like the same kind of game, an over the shoulder TPS with bots all traveling up lines and different people to play as who have different abilities.

It just has a more futuristic game show vibe rather than a mythical god style one.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
endtherapture said:
RaikuFA said:
Love to see mythological deities duking it out but I fucking hate MOBA's. I hate their communities. I hate how they punish you for losing by making you wait longer after each time you're killed. I hate how unfriendly it is to newcomers. I hate how you're forced to sit at the base because your teammates called all 3 lanes to solo.

1. Fair enough
2. Game balance, happens in a lot of shooters too.
3. So are hardcore RPGs but everyone loves them
4. This has never happens and even if someone calls solos you'll always have a lane to sit in.

5. Or you could just...not play them?
I've seen it in League. Each other teammate took a lane and told me to leave if I went near their lanes I'd be reported for not cooperating.

I was forced to play the first 2 at least once. I got curious with MOBA's. Then the stories came out of pros being banned for their attitude.

Jesse Willadson

Jan 14, 2012
I haven't played it in a while, I tend to pick two multiplayer games at a time with both slots currently full, But I would fully recommend it. I preferred Guan Yu when I was playing. Great sustain and when I came to realize he was an excellent jungler it drew me in even more.