Smite: Looks VERY promising.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
So this is a very interesting looking game for people that are fans of Mobas or MMO PvP (WoW PvP etc.), it's essentially a 3rd person moba game that looks extremely action orientated and will be F2P. Here's TotalBiscuits video of it because he'll probably do a way better job of showing it off than I could:
I think this could be a huge step forwards in terms of MOBA/PvP games if they really make this a quality title, this is from the same studio that made Tribes: Ascend, a very well made F2P shooter that is crafted extremely well to fit the online shooter PvP style.

So, what do you guys think to this, do you think it could really be a big title or do you think it's not going to make much of an impact?

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Ahhhhh I dunno, going for gods just seems... Boring to me. I have no idea why, all the Champions in LoL and presumably in DOTA 2 were mortal, squishy, had cool motivations and stuff. Except Cho'Gath who just noms people XD

I could just point at Riven or Irelia and say "pretty much that"

Smite's like "oh that guy? yeah he's a god... We just copy pasted some Roman/Greek mythology into our MOBA game." I have no idea why I find that a bit offputting. I usually love all old mythology, especially all the Greek stuff.

Absolute power (AKA Godhood) is just absolutely boring to me...

The gameplay looks good though. That moment in the TB video where he puts that wall in front of that guy in the jungle (towards the end I think) and he has literally nowhere to go except into the basketball hoop was funny as fuck.

I'll go and download it once it's out/in open beta but I doubt i'll sink anywhere near as much time into it compared to League of Legends.

It should have some funny moments, that guy's Lee Sin type fire kick over the wall is a highlight and a half. I want to play that guy.

Oh maybe the third person perspective might make people rage less somehow... That'd be nice. What's the standard time frame per game? 30/40 minutes? Are Ranked games going to be a spawnpit of Satan again? Will the voice acting be any good?

Most importantly, will there be a /dance /taunt /laugh and /joke for everyone? That is the most important thing ever.

Shirastro

Sep 1, 2010
I don't like it. Making it 3rd person just changes the game completely.
It might end up being a great game, but it just doesn't feel like a MOBA game to me.

Shirastro

Sep 1, 2010
I don't like it. Making it 3rd person just changes the game completely.
It might end up being a great game, but it just doesn't feel like a MOBA game to me.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
I got to see them make one of the maps for that game. It looked kinda cool really, I just don't really like MOBA games.

It does look like a neat twist...but still just a MOBA game.

ShotgunZombie

Dec 20, 2009
Interesting. I agree with the narrator of the video that turning it into a Third Person Perspective makes it look much more action oriented, which is something that always catches my eye. Also the last time I saw Egyptian, Greek, and Norse gods together in the same game was way back in Age of Mythologies, which of course brings back some good and fond memories. Seems like less of cluster-fuck (pardon the language) than other MOBAs to me, especially with that shop. Overall I like it.

Blackphoenix

Jul 13, 2011
Its not like this type of game is anything new. LoCO (Land of Chaos Online) is an over the shoulder 3rd person MOBA that's been out for quite some time. The only way this could beat LoCO is with a better shop system (preferably much like LoL's system).

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I've played both Smite and DOTA 2...and...I just can't keep myself interested in either of them. Especially Smite. Whenever I play a round of Smite, I spend 60% of the round stuck in some God's CC. There was this one boar thing that did massive damage, stunned you for about 5 seconds, and could hit multiple people...including a single person multiple times.

Basically, fairly bullshit.

I think I'll stick with Super Monday Night Combat.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I thought it looked pretty neat for a DOTA clone. Then I remembered it's a DOTA clone, and therefore wont be touching it with a 10 foot pole.

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
There were alot of games superior to DOTA in WC3... I dont know why no one has gone and dug them up..