Smite Preview

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Visual design looks boring and shitty. I'd make a cheeky comment about divine retribution resulting in a poor final product or something, but I don't think that it looks so spectacularly bad as to justify it. It's just a run-of-the-mill ugly game with bad animations.

Alistair_Darkheart

Dec 20, 2010
It appears to need alot of work, but if it truly does have a higher emphasis on player skill then your average Dota game then colour me interested, I'll give it a go on release when they fix up a number of glaring issues such as animation.

Al

muffinatorXII

Jul 4, 2011
gigastar said:
Lunar Templar said:
gigastar said:
Lunar Templar said:
gigastar said:
dragongit said:
It looks promising, that is if they are allowed to make it because it's SO offensive to religious figures.
I can tell you, the Hindu's bitching about Kali hasnt kept her out of the game, despite her being utterly broken last time i checked.
broken as in not working or broken as in horribly overpowered?
Horribly overpowered, her ultimate skill starts up very quickly and basically turns her into a walking blender for about 8 seconds. If she manages to stay in melee range of any player thats not a tank class then that player is effectively dead, ways to escape being few and character specific.
ah, how is she other then broken though? i might want to main her if i get that game just to piss off the hindus :p
Well she is an assassin class character, meaning she is supposed to go into the forests off the main paths to sneak behind enemy lines and stab those squishy mages in the back, preferably with that utterly broken ultimate.

It bears mentioning, because of the third person view you cannot see someone sneaking up on you.

Other than that i think she was one of the fastest characters in the game without speed buffs and she has a absurdly high damage output, that being one of the things that makes her broken.

Keep in mind though, she is more than due for a nerf if Hi Rez ever get around to it.
i have been playing Smite for about a month and i think she doesn't really need a nerf because she is squishy as hell. she pretty much gets insta killed by mages, the tanks can also kick her ass if they aren't stupid, and so can the other assassins but that's only if they see her coming and she isn't played right.
i think the game is pretty well balanced and it comes down to the skill of the individual player.
seriously it's a great game

muffinatorXII

Jul 4, 2011
ace_of_something said:
walrusaurus said:
ace_of_something said:
walrusaurus said:
ace_of_something said:
Okay I just... Anubis is not 'the god of the dead' he is the JUDGE of the dead. He decided which afterlife they got. Osiris is the actual god of the dead in the sense that he hangs around them all day.

Anyway, this game looks fun. Is it just PC? It looks like the sort of game I'd have more fun playing with my friends rather than PuGs. My friends are more console-oriented.
Anubis is actually the Gatekeeper of the Underworld. Maat is the actual Goddess of Justice and Judgement. Your soul is weighed against her feather; if its light you get to hang with Osiris, if its heavier you get annihilated.
Either way! Still not right.
fair enough. ;)

I'm sure the final product will be rife with inaccuracies that will bug me to no end lol
One of my oldest friends is a theology/ancient history professor. I'll have to show her this and listen to her rattle on with what's wrong.
so many things, but it's fine because the game is really fun

muffinatorXII

Jul 4, 2011
gigastar said:
Lunar Templar said:
gigastar said:
Lunar Templar said:
gigastar said:
dragongit said:
It looks promising, that is if they are allowed to make it because it's SO offensive to religious figures.
I can tell you, the Hindu's bitching about Kali hasnt kept her out of the game, despite her being utterly broken last time i checked.
broken as in not working or broken as in horribly overpowered?
Horribly overpowered, her ultimate skill starts up very quickly and basically turns her into a walking blender for about 8 seconds. If she manages to stay in melee range of any player thats not a tank class then that player is effectively dead, ways to escape being few and character specific.
ah, how is she other then broken though? i might want to main her if i get that game just to piss off the hindus :p
Well she is an assassin class character, meaning she is supposed to go into the forests off the main paths to sneak behind enemy lines and stab those squishy mages in the back, preferably with that utterly broken ultimate.

It bears mentioning, because of the third person view you cannot see someone sneaking up on you.

Other than that i think she was one of the fastest characters in the game without speed buffs and she has a absurdly high damage output, that being one of the things that makes her broken.

Keep in mind though, she is more than due for a nerf if Hi Rez ever get around to it.
but she is an assassin, she is fast and has high damage output but she is squishy as hell, so as long as you see her coming you can kick her ass

muffinatorXII

Jul 4, 2011
ace_of_something said:
Okay I just... Anubis is not 'the god of the dead' he is the JUDGE of the dead. He decided which afterlife they got. Osiris is the actual god of the dead in the sense that he hangs around them all day.

Anyway, this game looks fun. Is it just PC? It looks like the sort of game I'd have more fun playing with my friends rather than PuGs. My friends are more console-oriented.
it's on PC, i don't think it will work on consoles.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
EgonCom said:
You know that this genre has it's name? It's colled MOBA games...
If only it was that straight forward. MOBA isn't recognized everywhere since it was a name put forward primarily by Riot Games, I guess in an attempt to start to distance League of Legends from DOTA. Action RTS is another commonly used title, further complicating the mix.

Granted referring to them as DOTA games is a little inherently odd, we don't say for instance Call of Duty is a Wolfenstein or Doom game.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
I have been keeping an eye on this for a while now. Definitely going to try it out once the game gets released.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I've never played any games like DOTA or League of Legends but I have to admit, this looks pretty fun.

The Last Melon

Mar 19, 2012
I'm pretty done with DotA-style games, so this isn't that big of a draw for me, but this video is notable for finally helping me figure out what I thought was off with this game: It's ugly as hell! (no pun intended?)

I mean, you can only do so much with character models when you spend most of your time looking at them from behind (I think GoW solved this problem by putting the camera a lot closer, but I'm not sure), but there's really no excuse for these backgrounds. DotA had to work with WarCraft III's graphic engine, and LoL kept roughly the same aesthetic, but this is a game about the freaking gods! Even Christianity manages to work some colour into its imagery, and it only has one deity. You'd think a setting as fantastical as this one would manage to be set somewhere halfway interesting, instead of this boring, browny-green temple thing that they have going right now.

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
Fappy said:
I've been playing this for about 2 weeks now and it's been pretty fun but could use a lot of balancing. Fun fact: I work across the street from the devs who made this.
They're in Atlanta, right? I remember seeing some Global agenda swag at a Robotics competition down there, buttons and such.
OT: I'm not interested, the third person with similar mechanics makes it seem odd. I shall wait for my verdict!

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Fappy said:
I've been playing this for about 2 weeks now and it's been pretty fun but could use a lot of balancing. Fun fact: I work across the street from the devs who made this.
Have you signed in for the chance to playtest at their studio? you can if you live that close.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
rolfwesselius said:
Fappy said:
Have you signed in for the chance to playtest at their studio? you can if you live that close.
I know someone who has before. I should probably look into that.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Am I the only one who's seeing more than a hint of Interplay's Sacrifice in both perspective and premise in this game?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
More skill-based than other MOBA games?
Is that supposed to be a joke?
Have you even played DotA?
Or DotA 2 for that matter?

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
It's not all that innovative or unique, though it's competent at what it dose.

I suppose if they actually worked on balance more it can be good, but they don't seem to have the kind of magic touch Riot has.