Smite's controversial 'Grapist' match of the day

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Akratus said:
sextus the crazy said:
On one hand, it's an uncomfortable rape scenario. On the other hand, it's fucking hilarious.
It's not a rape scenario. Get your mind out of the gutter. He's the grapist. That's what he does! The grapes people! He ties them to a radiator and grapes them. It's family friendly, man. Get your free grape whistle.
you, sir, win an internet.

"look at what she's wearing."

"Look at what she's wearing?!"

"yeah, she's just begging to get graped."

"Will you listen to yourself!"

"look at what she's wearing. It's purple."

"oh, okay-- wait, NO!"

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Normally, I would see why people would be offended. But honestly, it's the Greek Pantheon, what the fuck did you expect?

Then again, that line of thinking is probably why they wouldn't take let me do my own interpretation of Zeus during the school production of Hercules.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
The sooner we can get over the taboo of joking/discussing rape the better especially if it revolving around completely fictional characters and scenarios hell it wasn't even rape just alluding to it.

Listen the bigger deal/taboo you make over it the more you let it control you/society as well as making it harder to deal with in general only through opening up about it can we confront rape/rapist's.

If we can make jokes about murder and other similar things such as torture then we should be able to make jokes about rape and sexual assaults just because something makes you uncomfortable doesn't mean it should be banned for everyone rape jokes can be funny:

DaphneRose

Apr 30, 2011
Wow... Just, wow.
I can't believe what anyone in this thread is saying. You're all talking like sexual assault and rape is some far removed event... instead of something that's intensely common, and one of the leading causes for PTSD.

I've hung around The Escapist for years and I've pumped it up as a place full of reasonable people with sound, intelligent heads on their shoulders. But I think I'm officially through with this site. I'm a survivor of sexual assault and there are a lot of women here who are too. We've gone through the trauma, the paranoia, the inability to be touched without shaking, the nightmares, and suffered through long years of painful recovery.

It's not about getting a sense of humor. It's about not shitting in a wound.

So, seriously, fuck you guys.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
"Why don't you get a sense of humour? Why don't you get a thicker skin?"

Yeah, rape victims, stop being so over sensitive over everything!

Okay seriously, I know I don't speak for all victims of assault or rape, or any victims for that matter. But all these people talking about needing to get a thicker skin or learning to take a joke need to realise who this is supposed to benefit.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Considering the context I don't believe it was evil, wrong or anything like that. It could be argued that, considering the current issues in the industry, it wasn't the smartest move though.

On the subject of the victims of these horrid crimes I'd say that the solution wouldn't be in severe backlash against certain types of jokes but rather in freely available support from professionals as well as and end to the victim-blaming that still happens much too often. I don't think making rape jokes taboo will really serve anyone.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Well if they wanted to reinforce their image as a den of dudebros who view women as a separate species and/or disposable sex objects... I'd say mission accomplished.

I feel no need to defend every piece of stupidity or bad taste because "censorship sucks, yeah", so yeah, this was dumb.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Genocidicles said:
I think some people need to get thicker skins.

I doubt there'd be uproar if they made some jokes about genocide, and genocide is infinitely worse than rape.

The difference here is scale and how likely a threat it is, and how seriously it's taken.

Genocide is generally considered to be bad thing, and it's not really a realistic threat.
On the other hand, a threat of rape is something that's used much more commonly, and even if it's done in a joking way, the person you say it to might take it seriously, because it's something that happens to people.
(And this is cultural, but growing up, the threat of rape was something only boys could use, and only against girls, the implication being 'I can do this to you if I want to')
It's a matter of exaggeration. Rape is too realistic to be funny unless you handle it well, while genocide is so big that it's much easier to fit into a comedic context without it seeming like you're actually endorsing it.

And you think making jokes about how, let's say all the jews should be killed, would cause no controversy?

As for this, I don't know much about the game, but I am familiar with these gods, and yeah, rape fits in there. But where's all the bestiality and male-pregnancy and gay sex?

Father Time said:
So would you say we shouldn't have any war games anymore because it might some soldier's PTSD?
Well, the difference in that is that it would be easier for someone to avoid playing a war game if they have PTSD, while rape finds it way to things that aren't explicitly about rape.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
If you make a game mode with date rape as the mission and punchline, you have to accept the consequences when there is an inevitable public backlash. You do the deed, you do the time.