Smithsonian Study Reveals the Murderous Habits of Cats

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
redknightalex said:
We could all just keep indoor cats instead. Overall I find the cats that stay inside are calmer than the ones that continually go outside. Then, if cats aren't going outside, you'd have a much lower level of songbird deaths. Easy solution.
Or only let the cat out on a leash.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I blame the guns and vidya games for turning our beloved pwecious wittle kittens into vicious little murderers.

In all seriousness, cats hunt for small animals all the time. Always have, always will. I've seen plenty of small dead mice and moles that my best friend's cat would kill and bring into the sun room to show it off. Why this comes as a shock to anyone is beyond me.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Ed130 said:
Trap-Neuter-Return?

What the fuck? Cats aren't even a native species! Why the hell do you want to send ferals back into the wild after 'fixing' them?
Nachtmahr said:
Frankly, I agree that TNR is utterly retarded. You basically have neutered animals roaming, and killing. They no longer have a purpose to their species, they have no purpose in life. And they are unloved. With no caring owner to snuggle them. It's a pretty sad existence. I believe just euthanizing them would be far better. For them, and for the wildlife.
Simple: Because mice, rats, and various other vermin that are prodigious multipliers, incredibly destructive in high numbers, and famous for carrying diseases that can cross species barriers. A rat can chew through brick, concrete, even solid steel; when they do, they find food, make themselves at home, and start making babies (up to 24 babies per female every month. do the math)

Cats like very much to hunt such creatures & are very good at it.

It has been documented that increased euthanizing of stray cats is swiftly followed by an explosion in rodent populations

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Damn it stop wasting our money on these pointless studies! >.<

All cat owners and home owners with feral cat population on the block already know this. All the headless birds/squirrels on the porch is testament to this.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Nothing is going extinct so I don't see the problem. Unless everyone wants a sudden and massive increase in disease carrying vermin No? Okay then.

Also for every cat I have had that's been a super hunter I have had a cat who couldn't find it's butt with it's paws.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
CrossLOPER said:
redknightalex said:
We could all just keep indoor cats instead.
I think I read in the BBC version of the article that all you have to do is fit your cat with a collar with jingly bells; it greatly diminishes their ability to hunt effectively. Also, you are always aware of where your cat is.

Also, the guy who said that dogs aren't territorial has never owned a German Shepherd before.

Moonlight Butterfly said:
Nothing is going extinct so I don't see the problem. Unless everyone wants a sudden and massive increase in disease carrying vermin No? Okay then.

Also for every cat I have had that's been a super hunter I have had a cat who couldn't find it's butt with it's paws.
The problem is that they are hunting animals like birds as well, many species of which are on the decline. Also, many predatory birds rely on rodents, so they are diminishing their food supply. Again, these animals are endangered.
If there was a huge increase in cats you might have had a point but there isn't, numbers of both predator, prey and related species have been consistent in number.

Therefore it isn't a problem.

Cats have as much right to live as anything else.

Also they take their own collars off, which is a pain :p

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Ed130 said:
Trap-Neuter-Return?

What the fuck? Cats aren't even a native species! Why the hell do you want to send ferals back into the wild after 'fixing' them?
Have you ever seen a feral cat up close? I have. They are skittish at best. At worst, they are downright aggressive. You cannot, nor should you want to, adopt them. If you catch them, fix them, then return them, they cannot reproduce and that will lead to an eventual decline in the population. True domestic cats live for about 15 years, ferals live for half that, so it doesn't take long for the population to decline and potentially even disappear.

Unless your question was pertaining to releasing them. The "wild" you refer to is actually wherever they were caught. My family did this exact thing with a few ferals some years back. They live in a semi-rural suburb (oh the contradictions!), so it isn't as though the cats are sent into the middle of nowhere. Also, having them around means that the neighborhood has never had a rodent problem.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
RandV80 said:
"Lies Lies Lies!!!" is what my cats are telling me right now as I look over the article. They then kindly directed me towards a few pictures that cats are cute and loving creatures that would never harm other cute small animals

Nothing to see here people, move along.
Your cats have been feeding you lies for years. Under their fluffy exterior of properly-groomed fur...

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
Ed130 said:
Trap-Neuter-Return?

Because they are wet-behind-the-ears, namby-pamby idiots who think that euthanizing/culling feral cats is some how less humane than stopping the hundreds of kills each cat will have to make each year to survive?

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
This just in: Cats are murderous fiends.
Fixed for you.

OT: This further proves my lifelong assertion that cats do NOT make good pets. More like cult-leaders.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Zombie_Moogle said:
Simple: Because mice, rats, and various other vermin that are prodigious multipliers, incredibly destructive in high numbers, and famous for carrying diseases that can cross species barriers. A rat can chew through brick, concrete, even solid steel; when they do, they find food, make themselves at home, and start making babies (up to 24 babies per female every month. do the math)

It has been documented that increased euthanizing of stray cats is swiftly followed by an explosion in rodent populations
No, someone whose government utilises a multiple vector control plan that targets all pests and who have cleared out several offshore islands as well as some mainland sanctuaries of all invasive species.

Also if you bothered to read the entire article Zombie Moogle, it states that most of the cats hunting efforts catch natives instead of pests like rats and mice.
JonB said:
Additionally, it appears that the majority of predation was on native species like shrews, chipmunks, and voles - not introduced pests like brown rats (Rattus norvegicus).

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Fappy said:
They are catching on to us... uh... well... I....

Catnip! It's catnip's fault! It is polluting the minds of young kittens everywhere and making them commit these atrocities!
:( It's true...

Anyway, I am with the Alley Cat Allies on this here. Make it so the ownerless cats can't make any more kittens, and then just let them be.

Cats are awesome, but the problem with them that we don't usually get with other animals is that they will kill even when they are fed, and not hungry. That said, the last time we got rid of a lot of cats, 1/3 of Europe died of the black death. Just saying, cats do these things for good reasons, but yes we don't need them to

:D Cats are still awesome!

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Ed130 said:
Zombie_Moogle said:

No, someone whose government utilises a multiple vector control plan that targets all pests and who have cleared out several offshore islands as well as some mainland sanctuaries of all invasive species.

Also if you bothered to read the entire article Zombie Moogle, it states that most of the cats hunting efforts catch natives instead of pests like rats and mice.
JonB said:
Additionally, it appears that the majority of predation was on native species like shrews, chipmunks, and voles - not introduced pests like brown rats (Rattus norvegicus).
If you gave that statement a bit more thought, you might've realized that native rodents can be and often are just as destructive.
Ever been a roommate to a family of squirrels? Well let me tell you, native rodent species can destroy property same as any other
The breeding of animals is one of the oldest human traditions for a reason

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Raggedstar said:
As someone who owns a cat that has repeatedly tortured mice and rats, I agree that cats are vicious little bastards. Once I found my cat sitting by a beheaded mouse, looking very accomplished with himself.
I prefer dogs, but they can be similarly vicious. My old dog once triumphantly came prancing up to me covered in blood as the mangled corpses of three possums lie scattered about the yard. I'd seen him play with animal corpses in the past. Perfectly lovable to humans and babies mind. I mean, there's a reason they make so many dog toys resemble the corpses of small critters.

That said, yeah, cats definitely win the battle of sadism overall.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Lieju said:
redknightalex said:
We could all just keep indoor cats instead. Overall I find the cats that stay inside are calmer than the ones that continually go outside. Then, if cats aren't going outside, you'd have a much lower level of songbird deaths. Easy solution.
Or only let the cat out on a leash.
I don't know why more people don't do this. I dunno about most cats, but our cat is fine with a lengthy leash. I can understand if you live in an apartment or area with limited space though.