Smoking in games- love it or hate it, not enough or far too much...

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
A rating shouldn't change in any way just because of smoking if you ask me. I don't like smoking, and I don't smoke, but in movies and video games, I see no problems with it.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I was gonna say it is something that I don't notice, but then I thought of Mass Effect 2, Vanquish, and Metal Gear Solid. It was used in cool ways the (the first being a character who retains the pride of human vices, despite the universe having moved on. The latter two being actual gameplay elements).

It's really just like anything people enjoy that is put into games, though. I was actually disappointed with smoking not being everywhere in LA Noire. Phelps doesn't even smoke! Though that game isn't very much like noir in general.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I'm indifferent with smoking in games. On the one side, of course its a bad habit, but that doesn't mean it has to be expelled from a certain type of media.

Films have it, books have it, games have it. It's just a social norm. In fact a character having a cigarette can often help characterize the persona the developers want to five him/her.

For example, picture a Mexican man, smoking a cigarette. You are probably picturing the average Joe mexican civilian right?

Now, picture Mexican smoking a cigar. Your view of that Mexican has now completely changed. The cigarette helps stereotype a character accurately and effortlessly.

Janosuk

Apr 17, 2008
Personally I'm all for smoking in games, I've been smoking for 15 years and i'm sick and tired of this whole politically correct crap that's been thrown around about smoking an how those that smoke are being demonised by the general public.
To carry over those kind of views to gaming and it's rating system is just beyond pathetic an down right stupid, I wouldn't be able to grasp the thinking behind giving a game an 18 rating due to characters in the game smoking when games like modern warfare comes out that has you killing people by the hundreds. A games age rating shouldn't be influenced by a character smoking.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Combine the facts that smokers are in the minority, smoking is declining, and smoking promotes self harm and poor health.

That's probably why it isn't in games much.

Plus you have to keep in mind that in the US only 8% of college graduates actually smoke, and those are the people who actually make major decisions about big games.

Now if games were being made by highschool dropouts or people who received a GED your chances would go up to 26.2-39.6 percent respectively. Of course even then the whole negative attitude thing would probably make some of those people rethink their plan of adding smoking.

In short- Enjoy vanquish (if that's possible) since you probably won't be getting many other games that waste a button just to let your character smoke.

PS: I got my data from the national health survey.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
CrazyMedic said:
Supertegwyn said:
CrazyMedic said:
Supertegwyn said:
Last Hugh Alive said:
OT: I absolutely DESPISE smoking in real life, to the extent I have gotten into (physical) fights about it. I do however have no problem with it in games, as long as it has a purpose. No smoking for the sake of it.
why as long as the person isn't a douche bag and smokes in a restaurant I don't see the problem, I mean when my dad needs to smoke he goes to a corner and smokes I don't see the problem with it. and unlike alcohol once he stops his smoking no longer affects others where as a drunk person still could go drunk driving or what ever. so over all I don't see why smoking is so bad.
Because it kills you? Fairly simple.
so you hate bacon,cake,waffles,ice cream, booze, vitamins and allowing people to move, see just about everything CAN kill you and a lot of these murderous things have worse side effects then smoking and besides who are you to tell a grown as man what to do?
You honestly know NOTHING about smoking do you? It is true that bacon, cake, waffles and ice cream can kill you, but only if you choke on them (which is an accident).
Alcohol and Vitamins can kill you, but moderation is the key. If you only have moderate amounts of each, you aren't going to die.

Smoking on the other hand will kill you eventually, moderate or not. My grandmother ONLY smoked once a week, until she died of Lung Cancer three years ago. I don't suppose you know what it's like to see a family member die right in front of you, from an illness that could have easily been prevented?

b3nn3tt

May 11, 2010
Never really thought about it to be honest. I suppose I don't really have a problem with it, but I think there are few games where it would actually work. Since a lot of games are firt-person shooters, I can't really imagine a point when the character would actually have a chance to light up. Perhaps in a cutscene.

Really, it makes no difference at all to the actual gameplay. I can't see it being an issue that anyone really cares about to any great extent.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I don't care for smoking in games. People smoke, so I don't mind when people smoke in games, but smoking does not make people "cool". Still it's better than smoking in reality since it doesn't smell like shit.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
darth.pixie said:
The games where I've seen characters smoke is Vampire: Bloodlines, Fallout 3/NV and LotR, the MMO, Mass Effect 2 (TIM) and there's chewing tobacco in Oblivion off the top of my head. I can't honestly say I've seen a character and thought "You know what this guy needs? A cigar" but I believe it should be acceptable...I mean, alcohol is (you can't walk two steps in a fantasy game without going into a tavern/brothel or tripping on a bottle of mead/ale/wine) but I haven't thought about it being necessary.

For a realistic modern world at least, it sort of should.
After or before a tough mission perhaps even the last mission, certain characters or the entire small team taking out cigars and smoking them wouldn't be entirely illogical to see, though cigars last hours, and so unless we're just standing there waiting for an hour or 5 minutes while they smoke I don't see much reason, of course if the cinematic began while they were smoking already and then left out then sure, but a 5 minute cigar would just make it back into a cigarette.

In any case, I think certain cases do exist where they could be added to by the mere addition of cigars (not frequently though, but infrequently) but I have to wonder if other certain things could be added that would also add without subtracting.

I didn't like that Tychus in StarCraft 2 smoked though, he just did it all the time and that wasn't the image of the cigar smoker... even those in the army. As for Raynor... he just did it to be a "bad ass" and it was strange when he suddenly took the cigar... though when the fleet officer did, that was a good scene as it showed how they were going to smoke the cigar and reflect and relax on the work done for an hour or so, of course I don't think it was done the best though.

---

As for cigarettes? While I can see some positions or situations where they might add to the atmosphere of the downtrodden the person no one likes or will die soon, or a few other things... I don't see them being used as a "positive hero sense" in any format whatsoever.

In Vanquish the whole smoking thing was literally just added because of the culture of who made the game and really was just stupid and unrealistic in the first place.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Edit:

Adding it in for the mere sake of doing it just takes away from a game, it doesn't add to it.

Also, the majority of the world DOESN'T smoke anymore, it has decreased a large degree, that doesn't mean a large percentage don't though.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
I like Vanquish because I can take cover and press LB and my guy gets out a sneaky cig to take a quick break.
It's useful if you want to distract the enemy, as well.

OT: I have nothing against it. The characters are fake so I have no problem with it.

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
This has got to be the nitpickiest thing I've ever heard about what videogames are missing. Yes, people smoke in real life. Everyone is aware of that. That doesn't necessarily mean people in games should be doing it all the time.

You know what else people do in real life? Blow their nose. Why don't they put that in games? Because it's just as uninteresting as smoking is.

Plus anytime a character in a videogame lights up a cigarette you'd think they just lit a handful of incense for how much smoke comes off those things. It's distracting.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Supertegwyn said:
CrazyMedic said:
Supertegwyn said:
CrazyMedic said:
Supertegwyn said:
Last Hugh Alive said:
OT: I absolutely DESPISE smoking in real life, to the extent I have gotten into (physical) fights about it. I do however have no problem with it in games, as long as it has a purpose. No smoking for the sake of it.
why as long as the person isn't a douche bag and smokes in a restaurant I don't see the problem, I mean when my dad needs to smoke he goes to a corner and smokes I don't see the problem with it. and unlike alcohol once he stops his smoking no longer affects others where as a drunk person still could go drunk driving or what ever. so over all I don't see why smoking is so bad.
Because it kills you? Fairly simple.
so you hate bacon,cake,waffles,ice cream, booze, vitamins and allowing people to move, see just about everything CAN kill you and a lot of these murderous things have worse side effects then smoking and besides who are you to tell a grown as man what to do?
You honestly know NOTHING about smoking do you? It is true that bacon, cake, waffles and ice cream can kill you, but only if you choke on them (which is an accident).
Alcohol and Vitamins can kill you, but moderation is the key. If you only have moderate amounts of each, you aren't going to die.

Smoking on the other hand will kill you eventually, moderate or not. My grandmother ONLY smoked once a week, until she died of Lung Cancer three years ago. I don't suppose you know what it's like to see a family member die right in front of you, from an illness that could have easily been prevented?
While you have a point, I should tell you that you should look more into non-basic reviews or paid research but instead research papers and conflicting research because the truth is that it's not a thing that moderation can't stop, and there are MANY types of smoking, and cigarettes kill because of the 9000 carcinogens not because of anything else.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
neonsword13-ops said:
hazabaza1 said:
I like Vanquish because I can take cover and press LB and my guy gets out a sneaky cig to take a quick break.
It's useful if you want to distract the enemy, as well.
I only saw it happen once in the "stealth" mission bit and then I didn't really notice it.
But hey, it looks pretty bitchin' so that's cool.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Another important thing to remember is the following:

In games, you can kill people sure but the masses of kills are known as fictitious as the environment it sets you in is fictitious, or the story is obviously not what is really happening. Games use all types of methods to disengage you from believing it is real but to instead immerse you into the story itself, complicated but true.

But smoking... smoking is real, as is drinking and sex... and people can just as easily do those more so than going out and being a supersoldier.

Also, for cigarettes, you're addicted, so if they show one person smoking a cigarette, then they're labeled as a smoker who has done this many times before and is thus not a hero because he has weaknesses that the player can't relate to as properly, such as being addicted and the "slave" of something. Players usually like characters with weaknesses, but only weaknesses that they can overcome or that don't make them negatively think of the character... an addiction generally does not lead to a positive outlook.

iDoom46

Dec 31, 2010
I don't care either way.

But I will say this- I grew up watching people smoke on TV, and surrounded by smokers in real life, and I've never smoked in my life. So, I really can't buy the whole "kids seeing people smoke on TV will lead to them smoking later in life" argument.