Snacking While Gaming Can Hurt Weight Loss

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
Hang on guys stop, listen. They are saying that you gain more weight by eating the same things and you feel more hungry while your keeping your attention on something else. So the other group the control.... would be just sitting and eating for the duration of the study is what was probably a plain white room. Now the other group would be in a room with a computer with the game already loaded, and they found that this group showed more desire to eat more.

This is interesting research, but it can lead to many follow up questions such as why (chemical difference or cognitive memory). Does this trend the same way for other activities such as reading a book or watching tv. Does it matter whats food were consumed, ect.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
dathwampeer said:
nuba km said:
dathwampeer said:
No shit Sherlock. Even though the real point of this article, that part about splitting attention and it's relation to appetite, is quite interesting.

Still. No shit Sherlock.

Sitting still and eating for long periods of time. Who the fuck would have guessed that was a bad idea.
I think this is an early competitor for the most pointless experiment category from the no shit Sherlock's of 2012 this years winner went to finding out we need air to live also to you want to present any of the awards.
LOL

Yea. I'll get making the awards out of old hunting caps and pieces of turd. XD
actually you just give the award to a person while making a bit of bander the award is a tin trophy in the shape of Sherlock's Holmes shoe in a turd.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
chemicalreaper said:
...so, in other words, they basically wasted time and money to tell us that it's unhealthy to snack and play videogames all day? Wow, that's almost as useful as farmers setting up research on strawberries only to tell us "why yes, they are a fruit."

EDIT: Yes, I did read the article. And this is basically their summary. Just to throw a curve into their research -- I actually eat dinner while playing my 360, but then I snack on fruit after that. I doubt anyone, especially my parents, are going to turn around and tell me, "Hey! Stop eating fruit!" And I lost 3 lbs between 2009-2010 -- I mean, I walk places (thank you, local Wawa lol) and that kind of stuff, but I don't go out of my way to exercise.
Oh man! I used to live so close to a Wawa in MD. My (at the time) girlfriend and I would split a breafast chiabata almost every weekend. God those things are delicious.

I used to walk a lot on campus and then my former employer had a pond that I would walk around for twenty minutes or so but now there's no where for me to get cardio, so I literally do wind sprints at my pad. It's something! I feel like crap since I sit at a computer for 8 hours only to go home and sit infront of the TV or computer.

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
Unless I'm missing some glaring point, is this not completely obvious? Eating lots equals excess weight. It's very simple.

EDIT: Actually, now I think about it this is the second or third article from the news team that basically says: If you eat lots and sit on your arse all day you will get fat. Oh really? Well fuck me.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
Big_H said:
Cursed Frogurt said:
Wow, look at the number of people who didn't read the article!

I personally don't eat and play games simultaneously but I DO eat and watch movies or videos simultaneously for pretty much every meal since I now live alone. Hopefully that doesn't have the as severe of an affect. I'd like to think that I don't continuously eat since I already have my proportions laid out before I start eating/watching. When my plate is clear, that's it.
I'm in the same situation. I live alone, so sitting down to eat without a video on (or book open, or some other distraction) is really boring. It's boring to the point that I think I would rush through eating just to get back to doing something "interesting", and rushing your meal is bad for proper digestion and also leads to overeating.

... I guess I could always start talking to myself while I eat... though I think that creates more problems than it solves.
Yup. Even when I have a guest over we eat in front of the television. My kitchen table only gets used when I eat breakfast before heading to the office. Again, it shouldn't be an issue as long as it's a proportioned meal and not a bucket of chocolate-covered pretzels.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
"Snacking While Gaming Can Hurt Weight Loss"
....No shit?
WHY WOULD YOU NEED A STUDY FOR THIS?! Poor UK tax payers, your money is going to waste.

Ohh and FYI; Snacking in general = bad for weight lost.

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
adderseal said:
Unless I'm missing some glaring point, is this not completely obvious? Eating lots equals excess weight. It's very simple.

EDIT: Actually, now I think about it this is the second or third article from the news team that basically says: If you eat lots and sit on your arse all day you will get fat. Oh really? Well fuck me.
Yes, you and all the others are missing basic reading comprehension. I'm baffled by how many people apparently didn't read the article. Where does it say anything about sitting around, overeating, or lack of exercise? The entire point of the article is "you feel less full and tend to eat more if you're doing something else while you eat," not "you get fat by eating a lot."

Holy crap people, learn how to bloody read.

mayney93

Aug 3, 2009
mjc0961 said:
Twilight.falls said:
JaredXE said:
Wait, so eating while doing a sedate activity makes you fat?

*Looks at expanding waistline* I never would have guessed.....
What he said. Something tells me that the people doing these studies work at the Department of Redundancy Department.
My thoughts exactly. The sad thing is, they waste money to do these studies and let us all know what was already painfully obvious.
well what else are the social sciences there for other than to waste money and point out the blumming obvious?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I took one look at the title and /facepalm'd... read the meat of the opening post and moved straight to a /headdesk.

...I do believe the study missed the point...

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
*obligatory "NO SHIT" comment*

Seriously, snacking in general isn't good for your health. So snacking while doing an activity where you sit in one spot isn't exactly going to be any healthier.