Snacking While Gaming Can Hurt Weight Loss

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
*looks at plump belly*

Golly gee wilikers i never would have guessed eating too much while not exercising could be bad for you.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Oh. Well I never snack while gaming. Not even Celery sticks

*Hides MASSIVE bag of Bacon Rashes*
Me neither! I definitely do not snack will browsing internet forums or during 12 hour gaming sessions!

[sub][sub]its a good thing I put those chips and the queso dip away already...[/sub][/sub]

On topic, it isn't a problem for me. I'm currently training for marathon (I'll be running one at the beginning of May, and that is in addition to Tae Kwon Do, AND drumming. I've got my weight handled just fine.

JimJamJahar

Dec 18, 2009
I don't have the hand-eye co-ordination or the patience to eat while I game. However, I do eat whilst watching TV. The main problem for me is that I don't eat a lot, which may benefit from distractions, causing me to eat more.

Napalm_Man

Jul 18, 2009
Just reading the title of this article I felt insulted. hmm if I don't eat all the time i will lose weight??!?!?! WOW NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED THAT! I really shouldn't be as mad as I am but is common sense really something people think people who play video games don't have?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
JerrytheBullfrog said:
Wow.

I mean... wow.

Do this many people really lack basic reading comprehension? Escapist forums, this is not a very good showing. JFC.
Re-read it just to give you the benefit of the doubt. My comment stands.
Seriously, the whole "absentminded snacking" thing was old news a decade ago. Associating it with gaming is no different than the old studies involving TV, really.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
NO WAAAAAAAY!?!?!
Ok now that I've gotten that outa my system and read the article, they aren't just stating the obvious. What the study says is actually that if you eat and do something else at the same time then you end up being hungrier later, and so eat more. It's interesting from a psychological perspective it's almost like your body doesn't know that it's full because it didn't see you eating, it saw you playing games and thought "wow it's been a while since I've last eaten something lets get some food".

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
WHOA! Who'd have thought that eating while not moving makes one gain weight?!

This just blew my mind. Next, they're gonna tell me that the only way to walk is to put one foot in front of the other.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
JerrytheBullfrog said:
Wow.

I mean... wow.

Do this many people really lack basic reading comprehension? Escapist forums, this is not a very good showing. JFC.
I guess I'm not allowed to use my mistake card on this one?

Also, it's not the lack of basic reading comprehension. It's simply that I didn't read the article. Whether that's better or worse is up to you, I suppose. So yes, I made a mistake.

Why do I feel like I'm being crucified for not reading an article though?

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
I first read the title as 'Snacking While Gaming Causes Weight Loss,' and I thought, "What? Really? No way... I gotta check this out..." Then I re-read the title and was like, "Oh, wait... WELL NO SHIT, Thanks."

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
That's some really cool psyche work there, and I have to say, I've noticed that in myself quite a bit. I do usually end up eating more when I'm gaming.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
I would think this would work with anything not just video games. alternative perpetrators include reading a book, watching TV, etc...
just more shit about video games making people fat...

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Snacking between games or binge eating between prolonged gaming sessions--that doesn't work so good either.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
JediMB said:
Sitting still and eating calorie-intensive foodstuffs can cause an increase in weight?

Madness!
Eh while this might sound like a headline from the "department of obvious things" the article goes on to detail that eating while distracted leads you to actually eat more.