Snap Response - The Worst Weather

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I'd say either one of the hurricanes that managed to make it up the East coast within the last thirteen years or last winter. Then again I live in the weird part of Virginia that seems to have a lot of the worst weather go right around it, so even at its worst here it still usually not that bad.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Lil devils x said:
I live in Texas.. enough said?
April 3rd 2012 was crazy there were so many tornadoes no matter where you went. At work, on the way home and when you got there... you really could not escape them that day it was out of a nightmare. There were 22 tornadoes here that day.
So incredibly hot, humid, AND a litany of God's death spirals? Never moving there. o_O

Btw, that pic of the lightning storm is gorgeous. I can deal with rain and lightning. Humidity + heat? Fuck that, this desert boy is out. It's one or the other for me.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
I've only been through a handful of rather mild hurricanes, but from everything I've gathered from those who've seen them at their worst, they sound pretty nasty; the infrastructure damage alone really makes you wonder why people live in those areas. For sheer destructive terror, however, they can't hold a candle to tornadoes. I know that they have a reputation of only terrorizing trailer park denizens, but they're impossible not to take seriously if you've even so much as seen one. Three hundred mile-an-hour winds that can knock down fortified structures built to withstand nuclear attack while leaving the tarpaper shacks right next door totally untouched make them seem less like "a natural disaster" and more like "the vengeful finger of God".

AJvsRonin

Nov 11, 2010
Cyclone Yasi in Australia.

I was living in the small town of Cardwell.

in the top left corner you can see the bottom of my house.

About a mile from my house.

Crazily there was only 1 death and that was practically suicide (idiot set himself up in his basement... along with his diesel generator).
The area has a really low population, luckily it didn't hit Townsville or Cairns (>100k pop each).

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
The worst weather that I have to deal with will be happening in about a month or so here in Arizona.

Dust storms, and particularly these fuckers:
That's because we here in Colorado have hogged all the rain. :eek: Woke up to sunny skies today, which is a relief. We've seen a combined 3 hours of sun since a couple of days before May began. SO draining!

Worst weather I was in was a Denver blizzard at the end of March 2003. Snow started around 8pm, and by 7am the next day, over 3.5 feet of snow was on the ground. Not inches. FEET. It took 2 full days to shovel the driveway and 3 days until snowplows got to our neighborhood. On that third day, it was 70 degrees outside and so I was out shoveling the sidewalk in shorts and a t-shirt. ;)

Worst sunburn I ever got in my life.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Well, this is Ireland. Our weather rarely passes the "how annoying!" mark. Last week it was switching between rainy and sunny, sometimes every five minutes. But I didn't time it so it may have been even more sporadic.

For me, the worst I have to get through is the heat of summer. It's probably nothing compared to the rest of the world, but at least you can wrap up warm to Resist Frost 50%. That was a video game joke.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
The blizzards we got hit with earlier in the year. I was pretty much snowed in for 2 months. Went slightly insane.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Minus 40. Or even 30. Winters in Canada generally just suck. Unless you live on the coast.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Probably Superstorm Sandy. Luckily I live far enough inland that we didn't have to worry about much more than being without power for a couple weeks. It was still rough for me though because I hadn't completely recovered from knee surgery at the time.

Dec 10, 2012
I am lucky to live in Michigan, which is about the mildest place in America, weather-wise. We have some heavy snowfall some years, and the last two years were especially bad. Two feet of snow that hangs around as ice for three months. We also get the very, very occasional tornado. And besides a few hot days in summer, that's about it.

The real weather issues in Michigan come from the wild temperature swings. Being a large peninsula with lakes on three sides means sometimes in spring and fall, we get heavy snow one day and a sunny 55 degrees the next, a polar vortex freezing us overnight and in the morning it all melts into a statewide swamp.

Arshaq13

Jun 9, 2012
Not including storms or cyclones and the like, if you live in the middle east during the summer next to a sea like the city of Dubai, during the summer, average daytime temps are 40 degrees c and above and nighttime its 30+. It would have still been bearable had it not been for the humidity(it averages 90%+) though, it really does make the summer heat unbearable here to be outdoors here.

There have actually been verified stories of people cooking eggs on the hood of their cars during the summer heat.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
We had a really bad hail storm in Airdrie last year. I didn't so much live through it as I did shower through it. I had just biked home from work, dodging the initial stones. While taking my shower, I heard a very loud roar. The noise was still going when I went out. Hail the size of golf balls was raining from the sky. Vehicles were dented and smashed up. Houses had their roofing, siding, and windows destroyed. There were tree branches everywhere. As part of my summer job, I had to clean that shit up the next day.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Superstorm Sandy. Went without power for a week because the power company "forgot us" while every other part of town had it. Had to sleep in 20 degree weather.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
80MPH straight line winds so far. My sister's car can vouch for this, tree limb dropped right on it. I live offcenter of tornado alley, on a hill, next to a sheer cliff, so while every major city has had their share of twisters, I have yet to experience one myself, topography being a huge factor.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
Philly is pretty mild on the weather, so the worst I've had were a few heat waves, which were nothing a $30 air condition couldn't remedy, and a few moderate blizzards.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, I haven't been seeing natural disaster proportion weather like some of you guys, but the last couple of winters have been cold enough to toss around words like 'frostbite'. One's lower-lip and extremities were of concern, you could say.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Well I live in New Orleans, so, you know, it's hurricanes. Fuck hurricanes.

Even our normal storms can get really bad. The winds actually caused a train to derail not far from our house like two weeks ago.

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
I can tell you about a few big storms that I've been through, but the real bad weather is when nothing happens. I live in the Metroplex area of Texas, and this was my summer of 2000. First of all, 88+ days without rain, a record-breaker, but (un)fortunately, they weren't without humidity. Just about all of those days, the temperature exceeded 100 degrees Fahrenheit, often by noon. And, it wasn't uncommon for it to go above 110, either. My lack of morbid curiosity prevents me from knowing the number of fatalities, but there probably were many. It seems everyone talks big about storms, but they only happen a few days, tops. This was for an entire season and change, and there are no doubt more stories.