So a Live action Netflix series of Avatar the Last Airbender is a thing now.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
CoCage said:
Canadamus Prime said:
minkus_draconus said:
Canadamus Prime said:
They seem to be doing that a lot lately. We now have Netflix's live action Full Metal Alchemist, that gambling anime whose name I forget, Bleach, and now this. And my reaction is the same as yours, why? In my mind animation is superior to live action so why the hell would they do this?
Live action versions of Anime is a thing, Japan has been doing it (with varied amounts of success) forever. Netflix getting into the biz is not surprising given they gave people like Go Nagi the $$ to do Devilman anime the way he wanted to (and I hear this is how they have been treating other things as well). Some will work some won't. Strangely I saw a Warner Bros. Logo (or some other stufddio) on the live action Bleach, so I suspect hey may be also just licensing stuff as well.
That's all very well and good, but that still doesn't answer the all important question of WHY? Why would they do that when, even with modern CGI, animation is still a much more versatile medium.

Plus, it's cheaper and not as much planning compared to animation. Honestly, I am so apatheic right now it's ridiculous. I agree with you.
Right, of course. It's always about the money. If I rolled my eyes any harder they'd roll right out of my skull.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013

At least we'll get dozens of hours of entertainment from videos ripping it apart when it comes out, so it will be balanced, as all things should be.

Also, how is it in 2018 there are still people who think Netflix announcing an original series that's an adaptation of something is a good thing? Their originals are crap and I'm probably going to stop subscribing once Fox-Disney, Viacom and Warner finish pulling their stuff from the service.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zontar said:

At least we'll get dozens of hours of entertainment from videos ripping it apart when it comes out, so it will be balanced, as all things should be.

Also, how is it in 2018 there are still people who think Netflix announcing an original series that's an adaptation of something is a good thing? Their originals are crap and I'm probably going to stop subscribing once Fox-Disney, Viacom and Warner finish pulling their stuff from the service.
I mostly use Netflix to watch whatever movies and tv series they have that are not their originals.

Also E;R is a anti-semitic edgelord.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Chimpzy said:
CoCage said:
Wait, is that voice D.C. Douglas? You know, the VA of Wesker from Resi Evil? Sounds like him.
Nope. That is the late Tony Jay my friend. A man's voice that resonates with you, if you grew up in the 80s or 90s.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
I mostly use Netflix to watch whatever movies and tv series they have that are not their originals.
I guess that means you'll be using it less and eventually unsubscribing in the coming years.
As a Jew with a sense of humour (and who hates Hollywood), I don't care about that fact.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zontar said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I guess that means you'll be using it less and eventually unsubscribing in the coming years.
As a Jew with a sense of humour (and who hates Hollywood), I don't care about that fact.
Fortunately for me its my Sister's subscription and she shares her account with me. And I need Netflix at the moment because Martin Scorsese's The Irishman comes out on it. Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, and Harvy Keitel in the same movie with Marty directing it...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Canadamus Prime said:
They seem to be doing that a lot lately. We now have Netflix's live action Full Metal Alchemist, that gambling anime whose name I forget, Bleach, and now this. And my reaction is the same as yours, why? In my mind animation is superior to live action so why the hell would they do this?
To be fair, Bleach is something NEtflix bought the distro rights for in the US, not original content. They've done this with quite a few foreign flicks, including remakes.

As far as the topic at hand, I'm super apathetic. I finbd it unlikely to surpass the original, but I can';t get worked up because the only way it could ruin the original series is if Netflix stormed my home and took my TLA DVDs.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Zontar said:

Well the Marvel Netflix shows are good.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
CoCage said:
Nope. That is the late Tony Jay my friend. A man's voice that resonates with you, if you grew up in the 80s or 90s.
Ah, of course, the sonorous baritone should've been a dead giveaway. D.C. Douglas has a fairly similar timbre, but more nasal.

Anyway, I should probably say something on-topic. Share my thoughts, or something. I quite like Avatar, but that I'm more interesting in knowing who the VA for a random soundbite is, should probably clue anyone in to my enthusiasm for the live-action version.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Chimpzy said:
CoCage said:
Ah, of course, the sonorous baritone should've been a dead giveaway. D.C. Douglas has a fairly similar timbre, but more nasal.

Anyway, I should probably say something on-topic. Share my thoughts, or something. I quite like Avatar, but that I'm more interesting in knowing who the VA for a random soundbite is, should probably clue anyone in to my enthusiasm for the live-action version.
Nothing wrong with your situation. I found this to be a positive divergent.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I might roll my eyes at this, but ultimately, I cant say that im not at least interested.

Besides, its not like the existence of this show is going to make the animated series any worse retroactively. If its great: fantastic! More people get introduced to the wonderful world of Avatar. If it sucks, okay, at least there is more drunk TV to be watched.

I cant say that it doesnt raise questions, though - like who even pitched this?

If I were the original creators, I wouldnt even go near an old project of mine, unless I can improve on it - so unless they have been sitting on the show for the past 10 years, picking it apart, piece by piece, I can only assume that Nickelodeon/Netflix approached them with a "We're making this. Deal with it. Do you want to be a part of it, or not" kind of deal.

And, to be fair, I probably would have taken that deal too, especially after last time.

So yeah, its right next Halo: Infinite on my morbidly curious list of upcoming things.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Samtemdo8 said:
True, there is a disturbing lack of Japanese Samurais and Ninjas in Avatar's world.
Why does the world of Avatar need those aspects though?

One of the reasons I enjoy Avatar is because it draws inspiration from a host of otherwise not well known cultures (from a popular western perspective, that is... or rather not well known aspects from said cultures... or both) from around the world, treats those sources respectfully (particularly when it considers lingual differences... could do better, but then it could have been a hell of a lot worse), resolves them with western cultural mores and is able to work without resorting to well-worn tropes.