So, about Archeage...

Yellowfish

Nov 8, 2012
Just wanned to know know what Western gamers think of it, and whether the international servers are any good. I've played on the Russian servers for a bit a while back, and it seemed interesting enough: I liked how it remained oldschool in terms of combat and party dynamics yet had all these interesting things like freeform custom classes. One thing that interests me in particular is Trion's (it's licensed by Trion in the West, right?) monetisation model, beacuse the Russian version, while avoiding blatant pay-to-win, still effectively hid all the crafting and resource gathering and bulding behind a monthly paywall.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
The western version has most crafting, gathering and building behind a pay wall as well. So no change there. It's definitely an interesting game, but so much grinding just like all asian mmorpg's. It's still all about 'kill X amount of Y monster for quests'. I have it installed, but only because it doesn't cost me anything to keep on playing, unless I want to get into the crafting/building parts of course.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
I played it for a bit. Few hours, that is.

Yellowfish said:
it remained oldschool in terms of combat and party dynamics
That's one way I'd describe it. It didn't really interest me because it didn't offer anything other than some slightly switched up mechanics. When I hit the realisation of how much it was "just another MMO", I stopped playing.

It was OK, but not for me - if people are looking for (another) MMO to pick up, it might be for them.

Aug 31, 2012
I tried it because it was free. Bored me to tears gameplay wise and aesthetically a lot of the design choices were very much not my thing, but then I'm not really an MMO guy. I do vaguely remember something about being able to pay for something, but I feel the analysis you want is a lot deeper than my opinion on the game.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
I have thought about playing it because the ships look really cool and I want to play a pirate mmo. The combat kind of turns me off to the idea though.