So...Am I in the right?

Raiha

Jul 3, 2009
when i read the title of this topic my first thought was "probably not". now,upon reading the story i can say "definitely not". you should have held onto the camera tighter, you owe her a camera.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Camera's tend to have wristbands to prevent them from falling. If this one did not, it his her own fault for bringing it to the party.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Even if it's not entirely your fault, just give her the money anyway.

If she's your friend you really don't want something as small as this becoming a big issue. It's got nothing to do with sacrificing your integrity, just being a gentleman.

ChippedShoulder

Nov 10, 2010
Think about it this way; if it was your camera, would you expect the guy who bumped you to pay for it? If he hit you hard enough to make it his fault then yes, you are in the right.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I wouldn't pay. If I had dropped it all by myself, I would, I'd feel obliged too.

Alas, you were bumped into which caused you to drop it so, no, don't cough up any money.
She took the risk assesment and took the risk of giving you the camera, it's her fault for handing it over to you (and the dudes for bumping into you).

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
That's a ridiculous question. Perception and reality have never had too much of anything to do with each other, in as far as what we call "reality," is much more akin to a consensus of perception. What you have here is a case where a consensus of perception can not be reached.

This isn't about being right or wrong, it's about you deciding whether you want to be on this girl's good side in the future, or if you really just don't give a shit. If you don't care what she thinks of you, then sure, don't buy a new camera. If you do, suck it up, be the bigger man, and buy the new camera.

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
See if you can have it repaired or buy the exact same model (if it's old use the internet you'd be surprised what you can find) Don't be a sucker and pay more than it's worth.

Obviously I'm in favor of paying for a new one. I've had something similar happen to me and it's just easier to replace it and move on than have them label you as a jerk and your reputation be permanently damaged.

Also I'd look into seeing if that guy that bumped you will chip in considering it's his fault from the sounds of it.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
You were smashed, she gave you the camera while you were smashed...she should have seen it coming, I say it's her fault