So...Anime

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Pokemon and Dragonball Z like most people my age back then.

Of course my favorite animes are Fullmetal Alchemist (the original, never got around to watching Brotherhood) and Azumanga Daioh.

Now if there was ever a Yotsuba&! anime (which there probably won't be ever) that would be my most favorite anime ever.

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
Digimon Adventure was the first anime that really caught my attention, and subsequently the first anime I watched all the way through. Still pretty good, even now.
New Mobile Report Gundam Wing also made me want to watch more anime, mostly because of the mecha. Ironically, Gundam Wing itself turned out to be pretty sub-par. Needed more mecha, less angsty teenage boys.

(For those who insist on using english dub terms- Digimon Adventure was Digimon 'season 1')

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
DoPo said:
Eclpsedragon said:
My first anime was Akira, I was around ten years old.

SNIPPETY
Lolz, I also watched Akira when I was around 10.
MORE SNIP SNIP
Woot, I'm not alone! I saw it when I was nine; my brother had borrowed it from a friend. It was in the original Japanese too, so when he got hold of the English dub a few weeks later I cringed in horror at the awfulness. Always preferred subtitles I guess =P

OT: I did love Akira, even as it grossed me out, so I guess that was my "I want to see more stuff like this" moment. I don't really remember to be honest. I also loved shows like The Mysterious Cities of Gold, G-Force (or Gatchaman as it's called in Japanese), and Gundam when I was even younger without knowing that they were "anime".

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
My first ever anime was Sailor Moon and Pokemon back when I was a kid. I think the first "real" anime I watched (ie, not edited for north american children and in the Japanese language) was Trigun.

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
I think I started with pokemon when I was about 5 but I don't think I registered that it was anime, it was just another cartoon to me. I think it was digimon after that and yugioh after that. I didn't start watching anime properly til after I started reading manga.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Dragonball Z, Pokemon, and digimon. They were my favorite cartoons before I even knew what "anime" meant.

I'm fairly sure plenty of us wouldnt be as into the great stuff like Ego Proxy and Steins Gate if not for Cartoonnetwork showing us the the ridicuous animes back then.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I watched the usual stuff like Pokemon and Digimon when I was a kid. But I had no idea that it was anime back then.

The first show that I watched, and subsequently led to what made me the Aninerd I am today, was Death Note. That was about 5 years ago I think. My cousin recommended it to me after hailing it as the second coming of Christ. It was the first animated series I've seen that was so dark and serious, and made me seriously interested in this whole 'Anime' shabazz.

And then, a few years later, I find myself watching an animated show about cute girls doing cute kawaii moe uguu stuff. Something went horribly wrong somewhere down the line >.>

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
scorptatious said:
Of course my favorite animes are Fullmetal Alchemist (the original, never got around to watching Brotherhood)
You should man. Personally I preferred Brotherhood over the original. You just have to grind through the first half of the anime and then it get's really good. The problem is grinding through the first part, as it's pretty much the same but... isn't.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Either Record of Lodoss War, or Tenchi Muyo. I was in Junior High, and watched them over at a friend's house. On VHS.

Yeah I'm old. :p

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Must have been pokemon. And DBZ (Ocean Dub), and then Cardcaptors (Cardcaptor Sakura's Canadian Name.)

Never really grabbed a hold of me to make an obsession, but I'll watch the occasional series if it is interesting to me.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
It started with DBZ, then pokemon, digimon, and yugioh quickly followed.

That was when I was really young. Then, for several years I simply didn't watch any. Not out of distaste or anything (some of my favorite games are JRPGs, which often share anime sensibilities), but simply apathy. I don't watch much TV anyway, so I simply didn't care enough to try out some of the more adult-oriented stuff, now that I was older.

Most of my media other than video games comes from websites like Youtube, the escapist, or ThatGuyWiththeGlasses, for example. I really enjoyed Jesuotaku's anime reviews, and that caught my eye.

So, I decided to try some of her more favorably reviewed ones like TPGL, FLCL, and Trigun, and loved them.

I watch considerably more anime now, though my repertoire, as it were, of finished series is still limited to just over half a dozen , not counting the kid shows of my youth.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I saw my first anime,Pokemon, when I was four, and since then I've been getting into stuff like Digimon, Yugioh, DBZ, Cardcaptors, Ruroni Kenshin, and a lot of Gundam. Pretty much anything on Toonami. I even rented a few anime videos, like Fushigi Yuugi, and borrowed my first manga from a library, Ranma 1/2.

When Adult Swim came along I got introduced to stuff like Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebob, FLCL, Fullmetal Alchemist, Wolf's Rain, and Yu Yu Hakusho. I remember as a kid, before VHS tapes were obsolete, me and my sister would record late night anime.

However, after a couple of years, by the time Naruto and Bleach were getting popular, I started to grow out of the anime faze. That was until I started watching Death Note, which sparked my interest in anime once again. This was also the first anime I streamed online, and that lead me to stuff like Haruhi, Higurashi, Elfen Lied, Black Lagoon, etc. But I never got really up-to-date with anime airing in Japan until Highschool of the Dead and K-ON!!

And that's basically how I became the anime fan I am today.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
My first serious anime was probably Yugioh. The one that pulled me in was Fullmetal Alchemist, though.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Pokemon was the latest craze when I was that age so that. Pokemon was before I knew what anime was, or anything about Japan etc.

A girl I knew had episode 1 of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya up on her MySpace when I was around 17 and I started getting into anime then, so really I count this as my first one.

After then I simply looked around and chose to watch ones that had cool title names or came highly recommended. I still wouldn't classify myself as an 'anime fan' (I just look at them as any other genre of TV/film if you see what I mean), but I have decent handful of series that I enjoy.

Darker Than Black was the first series that I "chose for myself".

jbm1986

May 18, 2012
Fappy said:
Like almost everyone my age: Dragon Ball Z.

Oh Toonami...
That's exactly how I started too. Oh Toonami how I miss you.[small]*manly tears*[/small]

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
My girlfriend got me into anime starting with Soul Eater.

Then I watched Black Butler and loved it.

Then I watched Death Note and I was completely enthralled.

---

About a year ago I would have poo-poo'd any anime as "stupid." Y'know what else I did that with at the same time? Kingdom Hearts. Now look where I am.

I've never been more glad to be wrong, either. I've watched at least 5 animes all the way through I believe, and I played 6 of the 7 KH games in existence in a row, no games in between.

I'm glad she broadened my horizons.

3quency

Jun 12, 2009
Digimon I believe was my first real introduction.
After that, saw Spirited Away when it went on general release and that was pretty awesome :D

And not too long ago I started watching (can finished) Gurren Lagann, which was fucking awesome. Currently working through Darker Than Black.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
3quency said:
Currently working through Darker Than Black.
I definitely recommend the OVA's if you enjoy it. However, try and keep an open mind when it comes to the second series, it's... different, and you may not like it (personally I did not, but I know of other fans who really did).

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Started watching anime from since I can remember. All thanks to Aunty - or I should say ABC. The ABC (Australian Broadcasting Company) used to showcase all manner of anime like Astroboy, Robotech, G-Force, Battleship Yamoto and Speed Racer.

Then another channel SBS opened my tender young and innocent eyes to 'mature' anime and anime movies like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, The Ninja Scroll and Castle of Cagliostro. SBS also showed Bubblegum Crisis, G.I.T.S. Stand Alone Complex, Neon fucking Genesis Evan-fucking-gelion and Cowboy Bebop.