So...anybody want to talk about the anime prospects for this season?

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I still need to watch some of the new anime beginning this season but im waiting for more episodes to come out so I can binge them.

Right now I am mainly interested in continuing Log horizon. Im really excited about the new seasons of Jojo and Durarara though, I always like Durarara but thought it would never get another season.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
JoJo's back. I don't really follow anime by season, I just watch it whenever. There's plenty of backlogged stuff I haven't seen.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Yeah I wanna talk about anime. About JoJo's bizarre adventure to be exact

Its going to be glorious. More stands more poses, more manliness, more bland Jotaro, more plane crashes, more racial stereotypes, more terribly written females, more Dio and most importantly more muscles.

I'm also happy to see more of Log Horizon. Its how Sword art online should have been, although its a lot more silly (I haven't laughed at one joke yet) and the lack of perma-death entirely removes any sense of suspense the show may have had. I only really watch it because I enjoy the setting, the plot goes nowhere and I really don't like Akatski or whatever the ninja girl is called. She just seems to provide smelly boring Lolli relief whilst doing nothing to make herself likeable other than have flash backs to how she has no friends in real life, and fantasise about Shiro rubbing her head. I mean for gods sake fuck off and show me some dragons.

I dont think I see the point in any more Aldnoah Zero, none of the usual highschool rejects were particularly fascinating. It seems Slaine on a plain is now the new hero, and quite frankly I know goldfish with more personality than him. The series focused too much on the boring ass human mechs rather than the cool martian ones.
then again if the soundtrack is half as good as the last part I'll probably give it a go.

I flat out refuse to watch slice of life anime. I don't watch anime to see average people get into realistic and believable situations I could watch some crap drama like easteneders or go outside and live my own fucking life if I wanted to see shit like that.
No I watch anime to get what western television refuses to give me, cool art, creative settings and fantastical bizarre stories. so since I refuse to watch anything slice of lifey I often have to miss out roughly 70% of all anime every season, which is good because I have enough to choose from but not so much that I'll never feel satisfied.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Shaft is delivering with two series this season. Tsukimonogatari for good-ole monogatari stories and newcomer Koufuku Graffiti for a food-centric show full of sweetness and happiness, both culinary and char-based. I'm sure most know monogatari but Graffiti is basically a lot of this:

[http://s117.photobucket.com/user/Dreikoo/media/KoufukuGraffiti-Episode1-Omake-1_zpsknqxdtmd.gif.html]

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
For new shows this season, I liked the first episode of Death Parade, and will probably check out Assassination Classroom. Continuing from last season, Aldnoah.Zero is good for it's Real Robot vs Super Robot concept and the soundtrack, even if it doesn't meet the expectations I had when I heard Urobuchi's name attached to the show. And I'm still enjoying Akastsuki no Yona, so there's that. Otherwise, I may try some random show or other, but I'll be walking in with no expectations at all.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
i only watch english dubbed anime so.. i'm not really sure whats out.. um Neon Genesis Evangelion 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo... will be out this year some time

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
Durarara!!x2 Shou - Similar to Psycho-Pass this was a show I really liked and felt like it didn't need an additional season (or in Durararas case several additional seasons). We'll see if it manages to match Pyscho-Pass' additional material or if these new seasons are shitty cash grabs.
Except that Durarara is an adaptation of a LN series that goes far beyond where season 1 ended, so for the series to have stopped for so long was pretty jarring in the first place. Not to mention that there were a lot of unresolved plotlines in season 1 that had a lot of build up and no pay off in the end...

Izaya's plan with Celty's head

So saying that this is an uneccessary cash grab seems really innaccurate to me. Psycho Pass was an original IP-Durarara is an adaptation of a story that still has a lot of great material to adapt.

Ragnoon

Aug 9, 2014
I'm just hoping that A Certain Magical Index 3 is announced or a new railgun season. I know the show is not perfect but I like the characters and has a lot of charm.

Jiggle Counter

Sep 18, 2014
Dirty Hipsters said:
I'm trying to figure out if I want to keep watching Aldnoah.Zero or not. On the one hand, the first season was kind of terrible, but on the other hand, the ending of the first season seemingly killed off most the characters that I hated the most, and the premise is still entertaining. So...eh?
I watched the first episode of season 2 last night, and I don't know how I felt about it...

Season 1 ended with heaps of WHAT??? and I NEED ANSWERS NOW DAMMIT!!!

Season 2 episode 1 starts with more WHAT??? and WHY? HOW? WTF? and then ends in an OHHHHH... Wait, what? Why?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I recently found a place. A place with tons of anime. A magical place with magical charms. Hulu, Hullllluuuuuu!!!! Just browsing their selection and seeing shows I missed, like Nisekoi, Tokyo ESP, etc. Now I can watch them all on my sweet TV. So yeah, I'm mostly going to be playing catch-up. The only thing I may watch this winter is The Testament of Sister New Devil. It looks like Highschool DxD with a smaller cast.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Sure, let's play. I took a much needed break from anime during the fall, when I despised everything from that season before even watching the first episode, despite that apparently being quite a strong season, but now I'm back. I'm keeping myself on a strict "good anime only" diet this season, though. No hate-watching, and anything I'm not sure about I'm waiting until I can assess the consensus on the first couple episodes. Well, I guess that's not a hard and fast rule.

Yurikumaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Arashi
Notice anything weird about Yurikuma? Okay, you probably noticed a lot of weird things about Yurikuma, but I just wanted to call your attention to something about the sexual imagery. It's absent of most (not all) of the sexual imagery anime usually deals in. Not that it doesn't have sexual imagery - it's laden with it - but it's not the familiar kind of imagery we euphemistically call "fanservice". Now I'm not sure if eternally young spaceman Kunihiko Ikuhara is capable of telling a coherent story in less than 30 episodes (Penguindrum suggests no), but I guess we'll find out.

Recommended if you've seen Penguindrum or Revolutionary Girl Utena. Otherwise it will more than likely mean less than nothing to you.

Death Parade
Uh so the second episode comes out today and I guess I shouldn't talk about it until I've seen it but I will anyway. Death Parade is an expansion of a short movie from 2013 called Death Billiards, and has the exact same setting and premise: two people arrive in a weird bar, and the bartender informs them they have to play a game against one another with their lives on the line. I won't spoil the rest, but if you've seen Death Billiards the revelations are exactly the same in the first episode of Death Parade.

Quite frankly, I didn't like it. Death Billiards got by on the ambiguity of its ending, and Parade seems to have erased that ambiguity in a manner I find rather unpleasant. Some people have mentioned some alternatives, which make less sense to me. I can envision a satisfactory scenario, but I don't think the show is headed in that direction.

Yatterman Night (or Yoru no Yatterman)
Gatchaman Crowds makes a point, and Yatterman Night makes a line. One more "weird-ass reboot of an ancient superhero anime" and we'll have a pattern! Yatterman is a 70's anime about...hell if I know, because just like Crowds you don't need to know anything about the original. Unlike Crowds, though, Yatterman Night is actually a sequel of sorts, with the main cast being the descendants of the villains of the original show. The first episode doesn't tread beyond series description on wherever it is you happen to read descriptions of anime, but it's cute and dramatic and the reveal of the Yatterman at the end of the episode has a surprising amount of punch. Also - and I don't usually care about this so I don't want this to come across as a selling point - the first episode is really visually powerful. I wouldn't count on that continuing because first episodes are always the best-looking, but it's springy and stretchy and fluid and cartoony and the CGI is nowhere to be found this is all hand-drawn as far as my limited eyes can tell. Gurren Lagann, of all things, might be the closest comparison.

Recommended if you like the description. Not recommended if you dislike the description.

Next, the returning champions...

Durara!!x2
You grownups can take your "where's muh baccano s2" and shove it cuz Durarara!! isn't just as good as Baccano!, it's better. Yeah, I said it. Durarara is better than Baccano. You can quote me on that. If you're one of the three people (me, myself, and I) who like DRRR more than Baccano then you're going to love this episode because - as anyone who's seen it will tell you - nothing much happens. Nothing much happening is great news. This is literally a show about nothing much happening (in a very un-Seinfeld way).

On the other hand, you know those three crazy otaku characters who drive around in that van? Yeah, well it's been a couple years since DRRR was last on air and they've been doing plenty of reading in the intervening years. Read of light novels. One particular light novel series, to be precise. Multiple mentions are made of Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (Irregular at Magic High School - it got an anime adaptation last year), which is...well. I guess the polite way of putting it would be that Mahouka is the worst thing ever made by a human, but I can't even say that because I'm pretty sure the author isn't human at all. As such, Durarara!!x2 receives a -100 on its final score, for a 0/10.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventures: Stardust Crusaders - The "We Don't Care That We Ran Out of Tarot Cards" Arc
It's JoJo, man.

Shirobako
This is a leftover from fall that I mention mostly because I didn't pick it up until January. I'm not caught up yet but, um, wow. My heart. So good, so cool, and yes, so moe. I just want to snuggle everyone in that show.

Recommended for: humans.

And last, things I'm not watching (but might watch)...

Kantai Collection (KanColle)
Ehehehehe oh no you don't, Japan, you can't fool me. I watched and liked Code Geass, and watched and hated Guilty Crown. I am not obligated to subject myself to any further Japanese nationalism, no matter how thinly or thickly veiled. Also, I've already seen Arpeggio of the Blue Steel, so I'm pretty much soured on the concept of boat-daughters to begin with. Speaking of which, a certain amazing twitter account pointing out that they should very clearly be called boat-wives, not boat-daughters. If it turns out that KanColle is like really cute, or if something interesting happens, then I'll pick it up but not until then. And no, "boat-daughter shooting arrows that turn into fighter planes" does not count as something interesting.

Gourmet Girl Graffiti (Koufuku Graffiti)
*checks anichart as I write this* Wait series composition by Mari Okada yeah lol I'm almost definitely not picking this up. I was hoping for Shinbo or at least faux-Shinbo, but without him as director (and no one attempting to visually emulate him either) all that's left is the description, which includes the phrase "slightly erotic meal scenes". Which, let's be honest, sounds fantastic. Again, I'll pick it up if I have reason to.

Junketsu no Maria (Maria the Virgin Witch)
Uh, yeah, you have fun with this one, guys. The description sounds terrible. I've read previews by people who liked it (a lot) and they made it...sound terrible. If this show gets really, really, really good I'll take a look but that's not going to happen.

Rolling Girls
To be honest I kinda want to switch this with Death Parade because I didn't dig Death Parade and I could always use more cute in my life, but oh well. I'll wait until two or three episodes are out and then almost undoubtedly pick it up. Rolling Girls has, however, managed to generate this season's 'controversy', because Hope Chapman, one of Anime News Network's more vocal reviewers, made the error of not liking something and saying so on the internet while being a woman. So that happened I guess.

And that's it! That's me this season.

Remember kids, friends don't let friends watch anime based on light novels.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Elfgore said:
I recently found a place. A place with tons of anime. A magical place with magical charms. Hulu, Hullllluuuuuu!!!! Just browsing their selection and seeing shows I missed, like Nisekoi, Tokyo ESP, etc. Now I can watch them all on my sweet TV. So yeah, I'm mostly going to be playing catch-up. The only thing I may watch this winter is The Testament of Sister New Devil. It looks like Highschool DxD with a smaller cast.
Hulu? Seriously?

animedreaming.com is what you want bruvva. No unskippable ads!

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Two words...

Magical Boys. Or more specifically...

Binou Koukou Chikyuboibu LOVE!

It's going to be bloody hilarious. I can't wait to watch it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then there's most of what everyone has mentioned so far: Death Parade, Log Horizon 2...

CaptainMidlands

Jul 6, 2010
None of them, I've found Anime boring for a while now, besides the odd gem like Jojo and Space Dandy and F/SN UBW they are all either cutesy slice of life stuff or fanbait (Kancolle, that's you)

Until UBW Season 2, I will mostly be watching:

Black Lagoon (again)
Jormungand
Hajime no Ippo
Baki the Grappler
Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple
Hayate the Combat Butler
and if I have time Air Master

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
CaptainMidlands said:
None of them, I've found Anime boring for a while now, besides the odd gem like Jojo and Space Dandy and F/SN UBW they are all either cutesy slice of life stuff or fanbait (Kancolle, that's you)

Black Lagoon (again)
Jormungand
Hajime no Ippo
Baki the Grappler
Hayate the Combat Butler
Complains about cutesy bullshit and fanbait, watches Hayate the Combat Butler.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
CaptainMidlands said:

Black Lagoon (again)
Jormungand
Hajime no Ippo
Baki the Grappler
Hayate the Combat Butler
Complains about cutesy bullshit and fanbait, watches Hayate the Combat Butler.
Man, I used to hate cute. Then I realized cute was great, so I stopped.

Also apparently this guy doesn't realize how moe Jojo's is. Grandpa Joestar so kawaii.

Also also, I judge people who like Fate/stay night. =3