So...Anyone here play Dungeons and Dragons?

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
OK, before we start, I'd like to say that I really have no idea where to put this. D&D isn't the kind of game that usually gets discussed here. I know there's a section for roleplaying, but this isn't a thread to roleplay, it's more of a thread to talk about roleplaying...so, yeah...

All right, well...Does anyone here play D&D? I'm a D&D virgin, so to speak, and I'll be taking part in my first campaign over the course of the next few months, so I'm wondering what to expect. What are your expierences, my fellow Escapists? Any advice would welcome, too.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
We have a tabletop gaming user group dedicated to such things. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tabletop-Gaming]
Join up and discuss.
EDIT: To fully answer your question, just roll with it (hehe 'roll'), the character making process is boring but it's really how you will learn the basic rules. Try to be interesting as a character. Don't cause trouble for DMs. Other than that you can only hope that your DM puts together a good campaign.

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
My number one advice:
Remember that spells have area effects.
My first time, I had no idea (but I was quite young). And I ended up ruining almost everything I owned trying to save an ally from a spell (as she cast a spell herself). xD

Other than that, just remember to take chances. It can be a boring game if you choose to follow everyone else all the time or only stay on the road.
And make sure you know how the DM wants you to interact with him/her in-game. Because it's just easier to know how they run the game (and how you're supposed to act when you want to say/do something in character) beforehand.

DannyBoy451

Jan 21, 2009
Beowulf DW said:
OK, before we start, I'd like to say that I really have no idea where to put this. D&D isn't the kind of game that usually gets discussed here. I know there's a section for roleplaying, but this isn't a thread to roleplay, it's more of a thread to talk about roleplaying...so, yeah...

All right, well...Does anyone here play D&D? I'm a D&D virgin, so to speak, and I'll be taking part in my first campaign over the course of the next few months, so I'm wondering what to expect. What are your expierences, my fellow Escapists? Any advice would welcome, too.
Think of it as improv theatre that you're both acting in and writing. If you've got a good DM then you'll have a lot of freedom to do what you want within the story, this can result in brainfuckingly awesome solutions to problems you encounter.

cynicalprophet

Oct 14, 2009
I've just started playing with some close friends (only one of us having played it before) and it has been pretty interesting. I guess it would depend on what your DM is like but I find the amount of freedom in the game is what makes it really fun. Its also nice to play a game where you can socialize in person with the people your playing with (like splitscreen or golf).

cynicalprophet

Oct 14, 2009
I've just started playing with some close friends (only one of us having played it before) and it has been pretty interesting. I guess it would depend on what your DM is like but I find the amount of freedom in the game is what makes it really fun. Its also nice to play a game where you can socialize in person with the people your playing with (like splitscreen or golf).

alloneword

Jul 9, 2008
I've been playing version 3.5 for a few years now. Our group changed alot through highschool, people would drop, people would join (we even had to ban a guy for a year until he got smarter about it). We were never hardcore players, but we adhered to enough of the rules to make it enjoyable for everyone.

It was probably the most fun I had during highschool, and it actually transpired into our social group. We all soon found ourselves hanging out more outside of the game, and the game would just sort of happen around us.

It's alot of fun with the right people, and even today I was designing three characters to use for a new campaign that we will be starting in March.

Enjoy your time.

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
Yeah i find it fun if your Dm is good and flexable, and is good at creating stuff, im playing my first real compaign and i am a Bone Bender Minotaur (shammanistic but uses bones of people) and yeah.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Fightgarr said:
We have a tabletop gaming user group dedicated to such things. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tabletop-Gaming]
Join up and discuss.
*joins*

In case you haven't noticed, the publisher of the Escapist, Alex Macris himself, loves D&D.

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
DannyBoy451 said:
Beowulf DW said:

Think of it as improv theatre that you're both acting in and writing. If you've got a good DM then you'll have a lot of freedom to do what you want within the story, this can result in brainfuckingly awesome solutions to problems you encounter.
The DM and all the other players are friends of mine, and some of my other friends have told me that our DM has been very good with allowing the players a great deal of freedom. Apparently, he sets out a general plot and eventual goal, but he improvises with the players when it comes to filling in the little details. That there's no railroading (that is the correct term, right?).

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
i played a long time ago until my group kicked me out because i wouldnt use my ring of invisibility to sneak past a guard so they could loot a chest. So i fired back with: "Hello? Chaotic Evil?" I only do things to benefit me. So while i was distracting the guard they could take all the loot. Well screw that.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I've been playing for a few years now. But i started migrating to Dark Heresy because of my fanboyism to GW and the fact that none of my friends wanna play 3.5 anymore. I WILL NEVER PLAY 4.0 NEVER

DannyBoy451

Jan 21, 2009
Beowulf DW said:
DannyBoy451 said:
Beowulf DW said:

The DM and all the other players are friends of mine, and some of my other friends have told me that our DM has been very good with allowing the players a great deal of freedom. Apparently, he sets out a general plot and eventual goal, but he improvises with the players when it comes to filling in the little details. That there's no railroading (that is the correct term, right?).
Yeah that's the correct term, sounds like you've got a good group there.

Any idea what setting/edition you're playing?

Edit:
lax4life said:
I've been playing for a few years now. But i started migrating to Dark Heresy because of my fanboyism to GW and the fact that none of my friends wanna play 3.5 anymore. I WILL NEVER PLAY 4.0 NEVER
Now, you've probably already heard of this, but just incase...
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=78

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
i always wanted to play the game but could never find a place for it or enough people to play it with so i never really got to

would still like to play it if i could though....

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
DannyBoy451 said:
Yeah that's the correct term, sounds like you've got a good group there.

Any idea what setting/edition you're playing?
I don't know what setting we are using, but I think we're using 3.5 edition. Some of my friends helped me create a character according to those rules anyway.

DreamKing

Aug 14, 2008
A small tip, write down everything that has to do with abilities. The game comes to a screeching halt if you have to look through the character creation book. A small notebook to keep track of items and gold is a good idea too.