So apparently Madcatz are up poop creek...

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
Yeah, I know it's RTU, but the info is the info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF-XltIrKRI

I thought Madcatz were swimming it it? The have the SF crowd pretty much under wraps. I suppose the crap Android console didn't do them justice and the Rock Band thing didn't do great.

Back on the PS2 I was quite fond of the micro wireless controllers but in recent years I have no interest in that brand, and tbh I'm currently facing the realisation that I might have to get a PS4 stick in order to play SFV (there's rumours that the the drive that was made by the Skullgirls devs that was also used by Never Realm to allow PS3 sticks to work for MKX isn't in SFV, partly at least due to the partnership they have with Madcatz).

I hate buying from a company that's down the pan because their hardware is crap. That always sucks ass.

Who knows, I suppose we'll have to wait and see how it goes.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Damn, I know one of my favorite streamers is part of the "MadCatz Twitch Team", really hope he isn't going to get screwed over by this :/

I remember getting a few MadCatz controllers back in the day, I'm not sure if the FGC market will plug that hole but I know that no matter what happens, those guys will get their fight sticks somewhere.
Still, I don't recall MadCatz doing anything to get them a EA-style hate mob so I would be sad to see them go.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
I was really fond of the Mad Catz peripherals back in the PS1 / PS2 days. I had a few controllers and steering wheels from them, most of which were pretty decent.

In recent years, I think the market for third party accessories for consoles seems a lot smaller, similar story on the PC too. I figure patents and restrictions on third party controllers from Sony, Microsoft and certainly Nintendo have a lot to do with that?

I've not used anything Mad Catz have put out for some time but I hear from friends the quality of their products has been on somewhat of a decline lately?

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
This is disappointing, because since MadCatz bought Saitek(SP?), they're who I'd have to get a HOTAS set from them. A HOTAS I'll desperately need to go with a new gaming PC I might be getting, the HOTAS is basically dead necessary for Elite Dangerous. If MadCatz goes down then there is basically no decently compatible HOTAS sets for use with Elite Dangerous, especially Elite Dangerous: Horizons.

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
This is disappointing, because since MadCatz bought Saitek(SP?), they're who I'd have to get a HOTAS set from them. A HOTAS I'll desperately need to go with a new gaming PC I might be getting, the HOTAS is basically dead necessary for Elite Dangerous. If MadCatz goes down then there is basically no decently compatible HOTAS sets for use with Elite Dangerous, especially Elite Dangerous: Horizons.
There are other HOTAS out there from Thrustmaster, but you tend to be stuck on the extremes with them price wise, you can either get the really cheap one with not the greatest quality in materials for about 50 US Dollars, or you get the ridiculously expensive one that costs 500 US Dollars, they don't really have anything in between.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I bought a Madcatz controller for Gamecube, it was such a piece of crap! After a couple months, half the buttons started malfunctioning, so I went and bought the Wavebird and haven't had any problems since.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Supernova1138 said:
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
There are other HOTAS out there from Thrustmaster, but you tend to be stuck on the extremes with them price wise, you can either get the really cheap one with not the greatest quality in materials for about 50 US Dollars, or you get the ridiculously expensive one that costs 500 US Dollars, they don't really have anything in between.
For some strange reason a lot of people complain about even the good Thrustmaster sticks and HOTAS when it comes to Elite Dangerous, which is probably the biggest reason for me to get such things. As long as I can pick up an X52 I'll be happy, though an X55 would be even better.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I'm not surprised... there doesn't seem to be the huge market for 3rd party accessories there was back in the day. Certainly there is no more Cheat Devices, which is a bummer.

I miss the days we could hack our games. Gameshark FTW!!!

They're also the last owners of InterAct, which makes me doubly sad :(

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Not a fan of madcatz controllers. I've had a couple and in all cases the buttons or triggers would start malfunctioning after less than a year of use.

I had this controller:

which was fucking awesome. It had programmable buttons on the underside of the controller so I could use those buttons to jump, crouch, and go prone without taking my thumbs off the sticks. Unfortunately the triggers stopped working after about 6 months. I could pull the trigger 4 times and it would only shoot once, made the controller totally useless.

Madcatz has some great designs but their quality has been crap.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
FileTrekker said:
I hear from friends the quality of their products has been on somewhat of a decline lately?
i can atest to that they made high quality stuff back in the N64 era had some great stuff from them but as of late their stuff has become total shit

Jan 19, 2016
It's a pity because they make some of the best fight sticks you can buy (even if they are ridiculously expensive). With Street Fighter 5 launching this week they should be selling a ton of sticks, so hopefully that helps the business survive, because otherwise the fight stick market is limited to Hori (who also make great sticks) and a bunch of Chinese knockoff brands.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Danny Dowling said:
Yeah, I know it's RTU, but the info is the info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF-XltIrKRI

I thought Madcatz were swimming it it? The have the SF crowd pretty much under wraps. I suppose the crap Android console didn't do them justice and the Rock Band thing didn't do great.

Back on the PS2 I was quite fond of the micro wireless controllers but in recent years I have no interest in that brand, and tbh I'm currently facing the realisation that I might have to get a PS4 stick in order to play SFV (there's rumours that the the drive that was made by the Skullgirls devs that was also used by Never Realm to allow PS3 sticks to work for MKX isn't in SFV, partly at least due to the partnership they have with Madcatz).

I hate buying from a company that's down the pan because their hardware is crap. That always sucks ass.

Who knows, I suppose we'll have to wait and see how it goes.
Actually from what i hear, you can use whatever old arcade sticks you had from last gen and use them with SFV. Which is definitely going to hurt madcatz. Not to mention that their sticks are ridiculously expensive. Especially their Tournament edition sticks.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Me and Madcatz have this ritual we go through every few years where I'll want a few extra controllers, I'll eye up the pricey official controllers, but then there Madcatz will be, like the Resident Evil 4 merchant selling cheap ass controllers out of his trench coat, and I'll buy them, thinking they can't be that bad
But they are, and I end up spending even more money on official controllers later
Still, I would be sad to see them go, I guess

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
...who?

Not trying to be a dick, but I've legitimately never heard of them. They make 3rd party game controllers and some games?
Which are better than the standard edition ones because...raisins?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Madcatz have a history of being shit. They'd finally started to shake some of that, though. Between RBB accessories and some of their (admittedly expensive) fight sticks, they were finally to the point of not being complete crap.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DrownedAmmet said:
Me and Madcatz have this ritual we go through every few years where I'll want a few extra controllers, I'll eye up the pricey official controllers, but then there Madcatz will be, like the Resident Evil 4 merchant selling cheap ass controllers out of his trench coat, and I'll buy them, thinking they can't be that bad
But they are, and I end up spending even more money on official controllers later
Still, I would be sad to see them go, I guess
I'd recommend a different company.

I've had 2 PDP Afterglow AX wired controllers almost since they first came out, and one died due to soaking in the wreckage of a burning building, but the other is my go-to PC controller. My only complaint is that the casing feels a little cheap and slippery, but it's been a reliable piece of hardware, lasting longer than my official Xbox Wireless ones. Which more than makes up for the light gimmick being dumb.

...now if only they'd make purple ones again.

If I have more than two people over, they do the trick.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Silentpony said:
...who?

Not trying to be a dick, but I've legitimately never heard of them. They make 3rd party game controllers and some games?
Which are better than the standard edition ones because...raisins?
Riesen's, actually.

More seriously, never heard of them either, but then, I'm one of those people who don't buy third party peripherals, since all the games I'm interested in play perfectly fine with a keyboard and mouse/PS controller.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Bought a memory card a controller and a 4 player adaptor off them back in the PS1 days. The memory card lost all my saves (and other non official ones did to except one for some reason which is fine to this day) the controller is possibly the most hideous thing I have ever used. We used to use it as the punishment pad in CTR because playing with it for to long took the skin off your fingers. The adaptor broke in a few months it was utter garbage.

So yeah I wasnt impressed. I did much later buy a fight pad and Tournament edition fightstick from them for my PS3 and while I was not that impressed with the pad the stick was and is fine. I personally prefer Hori now but thats just preference as I no real issue with the madcatz one.

Surprised they lasted this long though tbh their products have always been garbage until last gen when they started to get some decent fighting game controllers out there but thats pretty niche I would imagine and by the few other accounts I have heard they did not really improve their image or quality in many other areas. Also apparently they put a lot of their eggs in the Rock Band 4 basket possibly because they had already backed themselves into a corner and it was pretty obvious that was not going to blow up again in the way it had before. I mean its what barely a 5 year gap since the last one which if I wanted to play I could and I am sure many others could as well.

If they collapse I will neither celebrate their closure or lament their loss.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Drathnoxis said:
I bought a Madcatz controller for Gamecube, it was such a piece of crap! After a couple months, half the buttons started malfunctioning, so I went and bought the Wavebird and haven't had any problems since.
Lucky. The one I got didn't even last 2 weeks! The A button gave the ghost really fast.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I remember them! They were the people behind the terrible controllers non-gamer family-members bought you for your birthday/Chanukkah. Everyone had one of their controllers that was only broken out as the fourth controller and given to the kid your mother made you invite.