So are rednecks/religious people the new boogeymen now?

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Smithnikov said:
Listen and listen good;
I don't really care about your hatreds and prejudices, i was just semi curious because you accused me of saying shit and insinuating things about you and where you lived, when i didn't even know where you are from or who you were and you didn't deign reply when i asked for clarification. So now i know you're from redneck country (i guess? im assuming just by what you're saying anyways) it seems there was indeed no substance to your previous outburst to me. Whether you just felt like being a dick, helping out your buddy,or some other reason, i care not, what matters to me is your accusation was baseless and thus that mini mystery is solved ^^

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Happyninja42 said:
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Are the antagonists in FC5 Christian, or just another cult that borrows messianic elements, fire and brimstone OT symbolism and psuedo-religious iconography? I'm leaning it toward being the latter.[footnote]Yes, I'm aware there are people that level the same criticism against modern Christianity[/footnote]
Considering there are over 3000 variations on Christianity, and none of them can agree on any of the same aspects of their faith, your question doesn't actually matter. They have a lot of the Christian iconography, they are in the most stereotypical "Christian" looking church you can have in classic Americana, they are in the middle of the United States of America (a predominantly Christian country), and have a guy talking about being their father and leading them, and all that shit.

So yeah, they're Christians. You can consider them variation 3001+ if you like.
I think it's time I should point that most religions have this problem. There are Buddists suicide bombing Myammar (although all of that county is f'ed up at the moment) and Hindus massacring Muslims near the top of India. ISIL, Al Qaeda and Boko Haram dissavow each other becuase they aren't the right type of Musilm, Just to make sure that I'm completely anti-religious, massacres of religious people were carried out by atheists under Mao and Stalin. Fortunately, nothing lately. So points to atheists I suppose. Those two had a completely different idea of what Communism was.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Smithnikov said:
Listen and listen good;

People like them are NOT my "fellows". They're at best, edgelords who aren't that popular even with pretty traditionalist minded people around here, and at worst, they're public menaces who threaten to abduct and murder police officers and judges, okay? I like the idea of a game where I get to vicariously fry their bacon.

That clear?
Basically this. I know I posted it already, but so far, FarCry 5 is shaping up to be the government's "worst case scenario" regarding the Montana Freemen. Massive cases of fraud, self-appointed courts trying gov officials in absentia, the first Montanan ever convicted of terrorism, armed stand off with the Feds.

This is just the video game version.

Edit: Also, pertinent info in that link: Garfield county is the size of the state of Connecticut, and has less than 600 households.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
altnameJag said:
Smithnikov said:
Listen and listen good;

People like them are NOT my "fellows". They're at best, edgelords who aren't that popular even with pretty traditionalist minded people around here, and at worst, they're public menaces who threaten to abduct and murder police officers and judges, okay? I like the idea of a game where I get to vicariously fry their bacon.

That clear?
Basically this. I know I posted it already, but so far, FarCry 5 is shaping up to be the government's "worst case scenario" regarding the Montana Freemen. Massive cases of fraud, self-appointed courts trying gov officials in absentia, the first Montanan ever convicted of terrorism, armed stand off with the Feds.

This is just the video game version.

Edit: Also, pertinent info in that link: Garfield county is the size of the state of Connecticut, and has less than 600 households.
The article was interesting and echoes a lot of my encounters with isolated rural communities characterized by extreme self sufficiency and absolute mistrust of the federal government. As a state employee I tend to get a weirdly increased level of trust versus say, some of our federal level programs and workers, those types of people tend to trust me more if they see me as a fellow Nevadan rather than an American, even if the federal worker is also a resident of Nevada, anything labled federal is instantly mistrusted.

Even that's not sufficient in some cases and some of the free citizen types won't trust anyone above the county level, we have informal procedures for selling clients on state assistance or county assistance programs versus federal programs like SNAP or Section 8, because they will shut you down as soon as you suggest they give any info at all to the federal government, it's interesting running into people that will take state or county money but won't touch anything federal.

Even some of the non-free citizen types tend to have wicked self-sufficiency streaks, even if they could get help from the government, they will refuse and handle issues within the community even to the point of freezing out government workers and not reporting crimes. Basically the rural version of "snitches get stitches", much like urban ghettos, some rural areas share a kind of view that the government has failed them so develop a mistrust of government authority.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
We need more positive energy for Rednecks in games. Here, play these games:

I just realised....is there a NOT serious game which the Rednecks being evil?

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
every few years the auto-villain of games change. in the 90s it was mostly aliens and robots, then later nazis. It was russians/islamic terrorists/east asian communist states in the modern warfare age, occasionally sprinkeled with private military contractors. Robots and nazis are having a bit of a resurgeance, as are cults, which have been staples of many different horror franchises. The only new thing is american rednecks and christian fundamentalist cults being loaned from other mediums as villains. When you consider how many other different ethnic and religious groups have been the enemies in video games before, i'd say fair is fair. As for the handmaid's tale, christianity is actually given a nuanced portrayal. The leaders are fundamentalists, but only military commanders are allowed to read bibles, which they keeep in locked boxes. Much of scripture is edited out or never mentioned at all. Much like Nazi Germany in real life, the republic of Gilead has run into the problem of being a brutal military dictatorship while claiming to follow the ideals of a pacifist. Priests are hanged by the government to prevent the wrong gospels from being preached, and many churches were destroyed for sheltering women that were being hunted by the government, and one of the people who helps Lucas escape is a nun. Gilead is formed on a mixture of male impotent rage and a fundamentalism that basically removes almost everything but the mosaic laws

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Oh my god who cares. How come no one gives a shit when the bad guys are russian/muslim/south americans/north koreans/whatever?

Personally I think this image looks awesome:

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8582699/Far_Cry_5_Key_Art_Wide_1495770936.jpg

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
pookie101 said:
i had blocked that episode out.. thank you for giving me nightmares again
If I can feel anguish whenever I hear Wonderful, Wonderful, it's only fair that the same applies to others.

One of the few MOTWs that Scully and Mulder don't manage to completely stop too.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Standing where I'm from, let's just say religious extremists/rednecks like that are NOT a big caricature. I actually had to deal with the kind of nutjobs so insecure in their faith they freaked out over me being an atheist which quickly made me a pariah. I actually worry about Far Cry 5 not going far ENOUGH with the villains.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
One movie, Wake in Fright, co-stars Chips Rafferty (in his last movie) who is basically Australia's Captain America, only Australian ... and real. An enlisted soldier that fought Axis forces, entertained troops, and served as a keystone of Australian war propaganda film. Wake in Fright is an awesome movie about the unseemly nature of cultural degradation, by the way. People should look it up. Sordid realism at its finest.
I realize I'm contributing little to the actual topic, but I simply can't not second a recommendation of Wake in Fright. That film is a masterpiece in every sense of the word.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Parasondox said:
I thought you were talking about this petition...

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/869476023255085056

This shit right here is too fucking funny!!
The fact that the person has enough of a vocabulary to use miscegenator probably means that this is a joke.

Then again, who the fuck knows....

OT: are these really preaching Christianity as the enemy? I thought the games were dealing with cults or fanatics. Both of those (and rednecks for that matter) have been video game enemies for quite some time.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Whaaa? Since at least the 70s. Tons of trashy exploitation movies with hillbillies for baddies.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Rednecks and Christians have, in general, been the perennial punching bag for most forms of media.

It's nothing new.

Hell, that was and has been a major element in horror movies for decades. Silent Hill 2 (1 or 3? ...I honestly don't remember.) had a thing with a religious cult, didn't it?

We've been getting a few recent examples in gaming and, sure, that may indicate a resurgence...but meh.

Again.

Not a new phenomenon.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
They always were, to some degree or another.

It's not our fault that people who deny since and think their tractor/sister is sexy are weird.
:p

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
Haven't spooky rednecks been a thing since like Deliverance back in the 70s?

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
Friend they have been the boogeymen ever since the end of the civil war when many of them donned hoods and started lynching
Cults really started to became a fearful thing in the 70s with Charles Manson and Jim Jones

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Is that a new thing? I could swear I remember many years ago a horror movie where rednecks were the "monster" surrogate. And religious people (specifically muslims, satanists or voodoo magicians) have been also quite common as villains as far as as I can remember lol.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
People have been saying that this has been a thing since the 70s. More like it's been a thing since the 30s.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/13175692.jpg

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Saetha said:
There's been a spate of media recently that seems to be drawing on the idea that people from the South/Rural areas or devout Christians are violent, misanthropic, and hateful. Outlast 2 (Which dealt with Christian nutjobs in Arizona.) Resident Evil 7 (Southern-accented psychos from Lousiana.) the new Farcry 5 (In fairness, this is hard to judge, as it hasn't come out yet, but set in Montana.) and while I admittedly know almost nothing about Handmaiden's Tale, it also seems to be depicting Christianity as the root of evil. You decide whether or not these portrayals are a true-to-life depiction or a baseless stereotype.

Given the president we have in office, it's maybe unsurprising that this seems to be the new acceptable target. Still, I'm wondering what people think of the change - if they think any change exists at all. So, uh... discuss, I guess? Meh.
Rednecks and christian have been horror movie villains for decades, which... I find really amusing? I live in the South, and am surrounded by rednecks all the time. I'm not overly fond of them, but they're hardly monsters. Many of them are quite friendly. There seems to be this fear that urban people have of rural people that I don't really understand, especially since rural people are statistically less likely to be violent : /

I think it's just a form of xenophobia that people have of groups that are different from their own. It doesn't help that there is sometimes a degree of enmity between the two demographic politically. Add in the seclusion inherent in the country, and you've got yourself a recipe for a horror story.