So Bin Laden is Dead, what now?

Caldarin

Jan 19, 2011
King Toasty said:
You might want to do things that way, but the law shouldn't. It can't run on the whims or desires of people- everybody, no matter their crimes, deserves fair trial.
Sure, and he would have been condemned, but this wasn't some CIA assassin; he was killed in a firefight. I'd rather see him dead than have our soldiers sacrificing their lives to capture him alive.

And anybody who pulls that "nobody "deserves death" card hasn't had family in the military- Jake's right, but to put it more concisely; some people just need killing. End of story

ranyilliams

Dec 26, 2008
Johnnyallstar said:
Xpwn3ntial said:
Source please.

Maybe.
It's all over every major news source.

This is a good sign, except one major thing.

It was done over Pakistan, which is what pretty much everyone knew he was there. Pakistan is a boiling pot right now, and taking this action over Pakistani lands without consent could be disastrous. Pakistan has been in turmoil for years, has nukes, almost prepared to start a war with India, and may not take lightly to this action taken.

It will be interesting to see what happens next between Pakistani relations and America.

Props to the CIA predators, and the military for finally getting Osama's head on a platter.
Cutting off the head of the dragon only works if there was only one head to cut off.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Caldarin said:
King Toasty said:
You might want to do things that way, but the law shouldn't. It can't run on the whims or desires of people- everybody, no matter their crimes, deserves fair trial.
Sure, and he would have been condemned, but this wasn't some CIA assassin; he was killed in a firefight. I'd rather see him dead than have our soldiers sacrificing their lives to capture him alive.

And anybody who pulls that "nobody "deserves death" card hasn't had family in the military- Jake's right, but to put it more concisely; some people just need killing. End of story
Not having any family in the military gives me an objective standpoint. And from what I see, America is killing out of nothing other than revenge. It was this sort of thinking that started the whole damn thing, and last night (well, technically two days ago), you had a chance to break the cycle. To arrest him. Give him fair trial. Probably sentence him to death anyways, but at least show that you have a sense of mercy for those who don't.

Akiraacecombat

Feb 10, 2011
So there you have,cpt price from MW series killing bin laden in the next call of duty,or Medal of honor 2 doing the same but with a beared man.

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
Practically, not much will change. The war will go on since Bin Laden isn't the leader in practice. He hides all the time so he's more like their spiritual leader/mascot.

But him being dead is a major psychological victory and i would be pleased to hear such an atrocious man die in any case. And i'm not even american.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
First of:
Congratulations to the U.S. Government and the Weapons Industry in general for finally having cleaned up the mess they made with financing and supplying Bin Laden.
Maybe they will now have learned from their mistakes and stop financing and supplying people like that, and Khadaffi and Saddam Hussein.

...as if...

Secondly:
Congratulations to the army guy that actually killed Bin Laden, for trading in some much needed justice for all the victims for some personal glory by now becoming "the guy that killed Bin Laden" instead of becoming the "guy that captured Bin Laden".
So thanks to him America can now parade around Bin Laden's corpse until it starts to smell, instead of taking him to trail and putting him in prison where he can be gangraped every single day for 40 years to come.

So in short, Great Job every one, and it won't actually change much...

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
AnkaraTheFallen said:
Edit: My main reasons for this is that we have no real proof that it is him, they say that they knew he was in that compound for a week before they went in (if you've been on the run from america for 10 years you don't just stop and stay in one place), and they buried his body at sea themselves... no offence to americans but when has their government really cared about people religious wishes... there's plenty of innocent people that they don't let have their own religious burial for one reason or another, and they've just decided to bury his body before anyone can confirm it is his... seems a bit odd to me.

Please before anyone decides to hate me for this I accept this is just my view and in all reality I might be wrong, I'm just giving my own views.
To provide a bit of clarity that might better inform your views on this:

1. When your health is as bad as bin Laden's was, you certainly do stay in one place for as long as possible. Travel is just not good. Additionally, you are far more vulnerable to detection when you're on the move. "Running" is a bad idea. "Hiding," however...

2. They knew he could be there, which is why they waited for a week and gathered more information to make the decision. They wanted to avoid tipping their hand.

3. Burial at sea, as noted in other posts, prevents shrines or grave robbers (on either side). It would have been a simple matter to get the body out of there on military transports, rather than civilian, so logistically it's a sensible solution, too.

4. The most important: Yes, in the past, America has been (mostly unintentionally) insensitive to certain Muslim beliefs and customs. That's part of what contributed to the hatred that led to the attack. Why shouldn't you expect that over the past decade, we've tried to learn a bit more?

We've recognized that we're dealing with two separate groups: Muslims and terrorists. There is overlap, sure, in the form of extremists, but they are still two separate groups. If we had refused bin Laden--a Muslim man--proper funerary customs, the non-Muslim world would see it as little problem. The Muslim world, however, views him as a Muslim first, and then as whatever monster we believe him to be. If we had refused to bury him in a timely fashion, we would surely piss off the Muslim world (and among them, many of those extremists, who could potentially ally with the terrorists).

This was a tactical and political decision. We follow the customs to avoid raising the ire of the Muslim world. We avoid making a martyr of him to both his organization (who surely already hold him as such), but also anti-Western Muslims everywhere (who could use our disregard for the customs as an excuse to turn extremist).

Our military from top to bottom has been doing a lot of work over the past decade to learn more and be more sensitive about Muslim customs and Mid-East culture. You don't see all of that publicized, of course, but it is constantly going on. This is a good result--the body is dealt with in a way that caters to Muslim custom, but also prevents shrines and trophies from popping up at the burial site.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Akiraacecombat said:
So there you have,cpt price from MW series killing bin laden in the next call of duty,or Medal of honor 2 doing the same but with a beared man.
Calling him by name at first, then 3 days before launch, changing it?

Pyroguekenesis

Jan 20, 2010
Well, I think it's bullshite the fact he is dead but whether he is actually dead or not I do not care. I am not supporting either side but the US gov. already has enough 'incredibility' in my books. And since now that thats over - America and all nations can now and should pull out of Afghanistan and whatever - unless they are still there over the goddamn oil.

As for what now?
Await the end of the world as we know it next year.

The war has not been won.

Cubilone

Jan 14, 2009
I don't really get it.

I heard the news today and thought it might be true. But then I saw the only published photo of him dead, which turns out to be a blatant photoshop. I mean, I've seen better 'shop jobs on 4chan.

Why?

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Meh, yes I guess it's a good thing.

But someone is just going to step into his place. They're a big operation, they're like anyone else, ready to re-place, when he passed etc..

Shits gonna hit the fan, man.

misty55

Mar 15, 2011
http://griffinwatch-nwn.blogspot.com/2011/05/bin-laden-death-photo-fake-we-think-so.html

looks like they have faked pictures

Caldarin

Jan 19, 2011
King Toasty said:
Caldarin said:
King Toasty said:

Not having any family in the military gives me an objective standpoint. And from what I see, America is killing out of nothing other than revenge. It was this sort of thinking that started the whole damn thing, and last night (well, technically two days ago), you had a chance to break the cycle. To arrest him. Give him fair trial. Probably sentence him to death anyways, but at least show that you have a sense of mercy for those who don't.
My point being that it's hard to arrest a guy who's shooting at you- to reiterate, I'd rather have him shot without casualties than be taken alive after losing soldiers

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Pilkingtube said:
emeraldrafael said:
Its live on NBC now for anyone that wants a source.

ZombieGenesis said:
Don't have a TV and not familiar with much US news.
Someone give me the skinny on this? Did they find a body, or was this a claim from his country?
Supposedly he was killed in a military action by US troops.

EDIT:
oka, now, what I wanted to say. I'm carefully optimistic that its him and not a double. as for what now, I dont know. i dont think its going to be a huge blow because he's bound to have a number 2.
I heard that everybody does that when they die, it's nothing to be ashamed about. :3

..oh. :(
I can only say classic and WHAMMY!

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Buchholz101 said:
Plurralbles said:
the internet explodes for 4 minutes, and then everyone goes back to their lives. I mean.. after 10 years who the fuck cares?
The family and friends of every victim of the 9/11 attacks, and of all soldiers killed in Iraq.
Yeah... their family members died and Osama was on this earth more than twice some of their lifetimes...

he still wins and now he's a martyr, so he completely won.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
HyenaThePirate said:
I won't be surprised if over the next few weeks we hear about "terrorist groups" and cells being dismantled and obliterated. I'm reasonably certain that the one thing we AREN'T being told is the tremendous amount of information we probably obtained while killing him. I mean, if that was where he was hiding, there was BOUND to be a computer, lists, names, documents, hard drives, something that gives us leads and clues to his organization... usable intel. I'm certain that Al Qaeda will probably try to mount some sort of retaliation, but ultimately the scales have tipped for now into the US's favor.

Also, who is going to step up into his role? Anyone who decides to become the "new leader" of his organizations is going to be measuring his life in days and months, not decades. They'll essentially be committing long term suicide, becoming a major target for elimination (or capture if we run out of bullets during the capture). On top of that, there is sure to be in-fighting as the few brave idiots who actually WANT to take his place start vying for dominance against each other.

I'm really wondering though if we ever had the opportunity to take him alive, or if those SEALS made the decision that dead was better on the spot.
I hope they find something but the CIA got tipped off by a detainee at Guantanamo bay to search for the two trusted couriers (Again, I am happy that gitmo remained open).
They did say he resisted and I do trust the SEALS however even if he hadn't I wouldn't care. Its difficult to take someone like that in alive without him slowing you down and making things difficult. Now that hes been buried at sea we don't have to worry about his grave site becoming a place for others to flock to.
I also agree that they will not be able to find someone to fill his shoes. The way Al Quida was structured it made it impossible for someone to usurp him when he was alive and the terrorists IN al quida believed that he was almost a prophet and immune to bullets/bombs (bullet invincibility has been disprove although I think his body should have been shipped to Aberdeen proving grounds to test out the bomb part). People just assume that they will throw anyone into his previous position but I bet there will be a power struggle and in that internal violence they will scatter or destroy themselves or raise enough shit amongst themselves that we destroy them. Anyway it goes I'm glad hes dead, I'm glad Obama pursued and used Bush's strategy of increasing drone attacks.
------------
I respect Obama for not quitting however I still will not vote for him.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Nurb said:
JWAN said:
Nurb said:
Great now republicans will want to see a long-form death certificate because there's no way he'd kill a fellow muslim

oh chill out already. The best news in years and already its turning into a political clusterfuck.

Obama said in his speech that he continued Bush's policies and expanded on them in order to pull this off and for once he made a great, neutral speech. Don't fuck this up for the rest of us.
If you take that beyond a joke, you're just bitter
Its a shit joke.
Your damn right im bitter.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
cptawesome said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Yeah, did anyone else think it was odd that the news really broke with only ten minutes left of Celebrity Apprentice (Donald Trump's show)? My mom thinks so, but personally i think it may have been coincidence.

Also, I think Trump would be great as well. Hell, if he ran the country like he runs his companies, then the US will be the most financially prosperous nation in the world in no time.
Yeah I don't know why other people can't see that. It's not like if he gets into office all of his business sense, know-how, and successful-ness, will just disappear. If anybody can reduce spending and on the appropriate things and pay off most of the national debt, he can.

You know, I have a theory; I think he has been planning this run for some time. Think about it, he has been using his normal edition Apprentice shows to find people to help run and oversee his companies. If he has enough people helping with his companies, it won't be a problem being president and having all those companies.

Bioshroom

Dec 18, 2010
misty55 said:
http://griffinwatch-nwn.blogspot.com/2011/05/bin-laden-death-photo-fake-we-think-so.html

looks like they have faked pictures
Out of curiosity, does anyone have a source that's actually legit that this photo wasn't "leaked" by somebody photoshopping from their bedroom in amusement? Cause I didn't find any results besides blogs gossiping and immediately pointing fingers like excited children. Perhaps google failed me.