So... Black Mesa

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Gonna download it tonight. I've been watching this project crawl along for years. I'm thrilled it's finally out!

K1CKER

Jul 24, 2009
lol your speeds are funny

here`s mine:

I was actually thinking of replaying the old Half Life, good thing this came out before I did.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
This is really great! Totally worth the wait.
They've improved so much more than I expected. I always thought of it as a graphical overhaul of Half-Life 1 but they've remade pretty much everything and it still feels like Half-Life. The best part is the soundtrack, I love it. I wouldn't mind at all paying for this mod.

I'm really eager to see now what they're going to do with Xen. I can understand if they need more time to make it not suck.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Played a bit, love the updated visuals and voice acting. Was slightly confused by the new layouts but the new set pieces are great. Well worth the wait.

ScaryAlmond

Sep 12, 2011
ToastiestZombie said:
DoPo said:
Matthew94 said:
Well, I actually have used torrents before and even with legit torrents they always seem to go VERY slowly compared to my download speed normally. Like, 30kb/s at most! My normal download speeds are just more reliable. Even if I'm getting only 180kb/s...

... god I hate living in the one part of my whole town that hasn't got fibre-optic broadband yet.
You don't know the worst of it i'm located less than one km from a one gigabit hub the problem is i'm not eligible which means I am currently sitting a 50kb/s 20 hours left for BM:S yay

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
As someone who replays the original Half-Life at least once a year I was at first really thrown by the layout changes and when you get certain weapons, but after a few more hours it was nice as even though this is a game i have played many, many times, there where still surprises there for me.

Love this Mod and All hail the amazing men and women who made it.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Anyone know what the go is with it being greenlighted on Steam?

I was thinking of waiting until the Steam release so that I don't have to download it twice, but if I can download it now and easily and add it to steam later without having to re-download it, I may justgrab it now.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
It's pretty much exactly how it should be. A faithful update that mixes it up a bit but doesn't make it all too different. And it feels like something Valve did themselves, which is really, really impressive for a mod.

Kayevcee

Mar 5, 2008
I've just moved out to the US, and my flatmate has a pretty hefty connection. I should have this downloaded in about 2 hours :D I'll leave it to seed overnight. Good luck to all our friends in broadband-limited regions. It sounds like it'll be worth the wait :)

-Nick

Amgeo

Apr 14, 2011
Mac. Sad times.

A friend of mine will be downloading it soon, so I plan on joining him on this journey.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I hate Steam, doesn't seem to enjoy working on my computer for some reason.

So, yeah...

I'll probably skip this, for now.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
The torrent file is probably the best way to go until it gets onto Steam GL, the other download mechanisms are getting hammered by requests.

Tanis said:
I hate Steam, doesn't seem to enjoy working on my computer for some reason.

So, yeah...

I'll probably skip this, for now.
What on earth are your specs? Steam is one of the lightest programs.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
K1CKER said:
lol your speeds are funny

here`s mine:

I was actually thinking of replaying the old Half Life, good thing this came out before I did.

I envy you and you download speeds at my highest speed I push around 900kbs and you trippled looking forward to this my first half life game yay

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Amgeo said:
Mac. Sad times. A friend of mine will be downloading it soon, so I plan on joining him on this journey.
Me too, only I don't have a friend with it.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I've noticed that the game is a lot easier than HL1. Like, everything seems to do a lot less damage and take less hits to go down.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
I've noticed that the game is a lot easier than HL1. Like, everything seems to do a lot less damage and take less hits to go down.
You know the game defaults to easy right? Did you check the difficulty before you started?

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
matrix3509 said:
Kopikatsu said:
You know the game defaults to easy right? Did you check the difficulty before you started?
I have to agree. The military will shoot your head off if you stand around for one second. Then again, turning Always Run on kind of helps since you'll need to do alot of dodging.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Damn, it's so good...
It's obvious they've been working on something here for 8 years, and not something they've slapped together in 6 months. Immense amount of detail to models and layout, voice acting and characters are also great. Barney sounds like Barney, but each Barney looks different. Kleiner looks and sounds like kleiner, and the rest of the scientists are just as great. My only complaints would be some of the female scientists' voice work didn't seem s convincing, and Eli looks like Eli, but his voice doesn't have that same warm and fuzzy feeling to it.
Other than that my only minor game-play oriented complaint would be that jumping is a little bit too short, or the obstacles a re little bit too high. You really have to time your crouch-jumps a lot in sections where you'd usually just jump over it and be done with it. In Black Mesa though it feels like I have to try 1-3 times before I can actually get on top of something.
Also only had 1 crash so far.
Music is great, better than the original.
EDIT: More