So... Borderlands Pre Sequel. Gearbox milking the ip like Atlus with Persona

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Maybe it's just me but it feels almost as if one of the DLC packages for 2 got a little too big and Randy Pitchford decided, "Hey! Let's put DLC into our DLC!"

So now we end up with Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

I hope I'm wrong. And I sincerely hope this new one is more fun to me than 2 was. [footnote]loved 1, but could not bring myself to finish 2. Couldn't get past the massive increase in juvenile humor and poor story-telling in 2.[/footnote] But I don't know...

As for the OP question:
No. They're not milking the franchise.

Yet.

However, given the overabundance of premium DLC we're starting to see, the prevalence of things like Shift Codes, and the start of spin-offs, they may very well be on their way to warming up the machine..

Simskiller

Oct 13, 2010
josemlopes said:
Voulan said:
And the two female classes as part of the core game! If you don't count Claptrap as a male, the female characters actually outnumber the male ones, which must be a first for a shooter title.
Geez, its the second time I see this, its as if people dont know about the existence of games like Perfect Dark.

OT: This one is certainly milking, everything about it is exactly the same, other then lenght it could easily be DLC. The jump from 1 to 2 wasnt all that big but in this one there is no jump. A picture from 2 is the same as from this one

The DLC were good (although they could have wrapped things up a lot better like it was on the first game, way too many very small DLCs).
First picture: Wtf is that, where can I find it, what does it drop?

Looks like a sorta mini blue crawmerex, the anchor in the picture wants me to saw scarlets booty dlc but I've never seen it.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
josemlopes said:
Voulan said:
And the two female classes as part of the core game! If you don't count Claptrap as a male, the female characters actually outnumber the male ones, which must be a first for a shooter title.
Geez, its the second time I see this, its as if people dont know about the existence of games like Perfect Dark.
Well, the first for mainstream, AAA first-person shooter titles aimed at a broad audience.

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
josemlopes said:
Voulan said:

OT: This one is certainly milking, everything about it is exactly the same, other then lenght it could easily be DLC. The jump from 1 to 2 wasnt all that big but in this one there is no jump. A picture from 2 is the same as from this one

The DLC were good (although they could have wrapped things up a lot better like it was on the first game, way too many very small DLCs).
I'm sorry, are you saying that the interface between two games must change in order for the second game to be a 'new' game? I find that to be a somewhat absurd notion. By that logic, Fallout New Vegas could have been DLC for Fallout 3. Halos 2 and 3 are just Content packs for CE. Heck, Starcraft 2 is just DLC for 1 with a nice graphical upgrade.

Keeping the interface does not mean they are keeping the entire game. In fact, I rather like the fact that they are keeping the interface, rather than creating a new one 'to do something different.' Why did Windows 8 fail? Because they decided to scrap the interface they had been using for decades. Why do I get lost every time I try to boot up LoL after not playing for months? Because they decide to completely change every picture/item name in the game for no reason. Maintaining an interface is good.

OT: I, for one, enjoy a good romp on Pandora, so I'll be interested to see how this turns out.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
The DLC was pretty excessive in two. Rather unfortunate, has gave me a sour taste for the series.

m0ng00se

May 5, 2005
Voulan said:
josemlopes said:
Voulan said:
Well, the first for mainstream, AAA first-person shooter titles aimed at a broad audience.

Perfect Dark.

Do your parents know you're not doing your homework?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Voulan said:
josemlopes said:
Voulan said:
Yes, Perfect Dark.

Fine, the game is rather old (it was released at the same time as the PS2, 2000) but it was a big game back then. The same way Goldeneye was like Doom for consoles (the first and very functional FPS for the system it was released) Perfect Dark was basicly Quake for consoles, the semi-sequel of the original. For the time it was a "AAA first-person shooter title aimed at a broad audience". Whatever reasons they have now to not release a game with that many female lead characters they also had back then (maybe even more)

Gincairn

Jan 14, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Tanis said:
Atlus isn't milking Persona.

Unlike BL with all the DLC...
The Borderlands DLC is actually substantial, and good. You totally get your money's worth. In fact, I would say that Borderlands is one of the few game franchises that actually does DLC correctly.
I agree with all of that, with the exception of the Underdome, which to me felt forced.

the majority of downloadable content of borderlands 2 is superb although I wasn't too keen the head hunter missions, they were a bit short and the only real reward were heads that you rarely see anyway

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I will say though the fact its apparently coming this year gives me....AC:brotherhood vibes

spacewalker

Sep 13, 2010
Vault101 said:
I will say though the fact its apparently coming this year gives me....AC:brotherhood vibes
or far cry blood dragon perhaps? lots of people liked that, and it came out less than a year after far cry 3

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
spacewalker said:
Vault101 said:
or far cry blood dragon perhaps? lots of people liked that, and it came out less than a year after far cry 3
true but blood dragon was essentially an expansion pack/DLC it wasn't being touted as a "full" game like this seemingly is

spacewalker

Sep 13, 2010
Vault101 said:
spacewalker said:
Vault101 said:
true but blood dragon was essentially an expansion pack/DLC it wasn't being touted as a "full" game like this seemingly is
from what i can tell, blood dragon is being sold as a separate game, not an expansion pack or DLC. It was more of a total conversion i feel.

spacewalker

Sep 13, 2010
Vault101 said:
spacewalker said:
Vault101 said:
from what i can tell, blood dragon is being sold as a separate game, not an expansion pack or DLC. It was more of a total conversion i feel.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
spacewalker said:
yes but not a *full* $60 game, I mean like brotherhood there was I supose enough content there to make it a full game but it was recylced assests

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
josemlopes said:
Voulan said:
josemlopes said:
Voulan said:
Yes, Perfect Dark.

Fine, the game is rather old (it was released at the same time as the PS2, 2000) but it was a big game back then. The same way Goldeneye was like Doom for consoles (the first and very functional FPS for the system it was released) Perfect Dark was basicly Quake for consoles, the semi-sequel of the original. For the time it was a "AAA first-person shooter title aimed at a broad audience". Whatever reasons they have now to not release a game with that many female lead characters they also had back then (maybe even more)
My mistake then. I've heard of it but I assumed it was more of a hidden classic. Still, it's fantastic to see that we're not just now coming into this trend, although it's not as popular as it could be.

m0ng00se said:
Voulan said:
josemlopes said:
Voulan said:

Perfect Dark.

Do your parents know you're not doing your homework?
There's no need to be disdainful just because I'm not as familiar with the things you are.