So... College?

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
I just started at Arizona State University this semester and I'm majoring in Computer Systems Engineering.

IcyEvils

Sep 9, 2009
Hagi said:
I enjoy it. It's good, but don't expect a programming course. Programming languages are included but it's not really what it's about. It's much more about algorithms, logic, CPUs (bits, instructions, gates etc.), project management and math.
Agayek said:
I quite liked it. The program, at least in my school, focused mainly on logic and algorithmic design more than anything else, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It could have used at least one course that introduced me to C++/C#, but other than that, I have no complaints.

I've since used my degree to get a job developing apps for Android thingamajigs, which I also quite enjoy.
Okay you are both talking a lot about math, how advanced are we talking here? And in what way are these algorithms actually applied to computer systems? Sorry, I really just want to know before I jump into it!

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Graduated last year, Computer Engineering at MIT. Currently working as a software engineer for UST Global.

That's Mapua Institute of Technology

matt_newgrove

Aug 1, 2009
First off is college the same as university? If so then yes I'm going.

Problem is I live in a country where army service is mandatory for every male citizen of legal age, so I'll be getting that out of the way before shipping of to uni next year.

iDoom46

Dec 31, 2010
Graduated from community college.
Currently in the process of fervently rushing through a last-minute application to NYIT because SVA couldn't be bothered to tell me I wasn't accepted.
Oh, yeah, and I'm an art major.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
ALthough no one is likely to be interested this far in, I'm studying a dual degree in Education and Science. As in a Ba Sci and a Ba Arts (Edu). Not some weird Ba Arts with a Science major (is that possible) or some shit.

So yeah, second year at ECU in Australia.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
IcyEvils said:
Okay you are both talking a lot about math, how advanced are we talking here? And in what way are these algorithms actually applied to computer systems? Sorry, I really just want to know before I jump into it!
I found high-school math quite easy. Never really had to put any effort into it.
And I just failed one advanced math course at my uni even though I put a decent amount of effort into it.

Not quite as advanced as a pure mathematics course, but it's certainly not basic stuff.

Algorithm-wise about half are actually usable, the other half are background on how your processor and other hardware work and function. You're not likely to ever use those in an actual program but they're interesting to know and if you're dealing with time-intensive programs that knowledge can be used to your advantage.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
instantbenz said:
MellowFellow said:
Go Beavs.
Hold on. Someone else goes to a college with a beaver as a mascot? Do you get those ridiculous tee shirts like 'dam right we're beavers' or 'beavers! catch the excitement'?

We do ... le sigh.

I'm in a shit college where all of the professors use 'irregardless'. Luckily I'm nearly done, being a super-senior.

le sigh

I need to do my exhibition and then I'm done. Illustration, photography and graphic design.
We do have the "dam right I'm a beaver" t-shirts or bumper stickers. At one of our football games, there was a student who had a sign that said "No one licks our beavers!" I thought it was pretty funny.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
IcyEvils said:
The most advanced math classes I took were Calculus 3 (Multivariate Calculus, or Calc with 3+ variables) and Differential Equations (essentially, Applied Calc 3). It wasn't terribly complicated in my opinion, but I'm very good at math and the like.

As for algorithms, they are the very heart of computer science. When you boil it down, an algorithm is a sequence of steps to achieve a desired goal. Whether this is to print text on the screen, record the user's input or any of a million other things. Computer Science courses generally teach you how to construct good algorithms from a set of requirements, and that is by far the most vital skill out in the real world (if you're a programmer at least).

Jacco

May 1, 2011
I go to the University of Colorado and I'm a junior. Today is actually my first day of classes there. Imy free time I waste my life wishing I had a life to waste.

geezah91

Feb 17, 2010
Colour-Scientist said:
geezah91 said:
University College Cork.
Snap!

I've just completed my BA with Single Honours History and I'm starting my MA in September. I can't wait to go back.
Neither can I :D Living in the middle of Tipperary countryside for the past 3 months hasn't exactly been the most exciting thing in the world

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I wanted to. I've been out of High School for nearly two years and have no social life what so ever. I was going to go to the local community college but I couldn't get a car/driver's license to go. Classes started today, so I'm really depressed.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
brodie21 said:
Beginning the new college semester, I was curious if the Escapist goes to college? where do you go? What do you study? what year are you? what do you do in your spare time?

I go to West Virginia University, i am studying Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, i am a Junior. Last night me and my roomate went to a Hookah bar and blew smoke bubbles.
University of Houston. Starting my Junior Year. Majoring in English with a Minor in Psychology and heading off to Law School once I graduate.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
brodie21 said:
Beginning the new college semester, I was curious if the Escapist goes to college? where do you go? What do you study? what year are you? what do you do in your spare time?

I go to West Virginia University, i am studying Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, i am a Junior. Last night me and my roomate went to a Hookah bar and blew smoke bubbles.
I'm a 4th year university student at Brock university, down in St Catharines, Ontario. I'm studying Interactive Arts and Science course (academic speak for video game design), and I do in my spare time about the same as I do in my classes, namely play, talk about, and build video games (my specific specialization being a concept/3d artist)

FuzzyRaccoon

Sep 4, 2010
Yep, I go to college, in the University of Wisconsin system.

I study Psychology. I'm a Junior, but I'm in my Senior year, creditwise.

I go to he video store and rent free kids movies. I go online a bunch. I study, and I hangout with my buds. I rarely have time to play videogames, and these next few semesters I'll have less time. Sucks when you're trying to make up for a few grades.

FuzzyRaccoon

Sep 4, 2010
chaosyoshimage said:
I wanted to. I've been out of High School for nearly two years and have no social life what so ever. I was going to go to the local community college but I couldn't get a car/driver's license to go. Classes started today, so I'm really depressed.
Why don't you find out if someone nearby can carpool with you? Pay for some of the gas or something, and they should be fine with that. Or maybe lookup if your school has a shuttle system, mine does.