So... concerts

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Could I ask what is the point of them? You're paying a minimum of $50 to $500 for one night of music that you can hear at home for $10. That seems like a rip off to me.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
One day you'll be old enough to understand the real reason that people go to concerts.

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010

I think Maynard sums its up pretty clearly here. Its just not the same. Plus, bands don't make money from CD sells, so going to concerts is another way to support them.

edit: Tried to set the time to start where the interview starts, but for some reason it wouldn't work. skip to 51 seconds

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
is it really that hard?

its the thrill, the atmosphere of seeing your favorite artists in person (even if its from like 500meters) the drugs and the sex helps too

now LIVE recordings? THATS the pointless, a screaming crowd ruining your music and reminding you you werent there

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Well, back in November I saw the death metal band Nile live, and you know what? I couldn't fucking hear shit. I forgot my hearing protection back at the hotel, so it was all a big ass blur to me. Did that effect it? Hell to the no, man. I already know the songs anyway. I was there to be in a crowd of like-minded people and have fun to something we are all mutually passionate about. That's where the fun came from (add alcohol to the mix and it was top-notch). It's more about the experience than listening to the music. If I wanted to just listen to it, well, I have the band's albums here at home in pristine quality. Granted, the metal subculture tends to be pretty intense during live performances, but I'm sure the same can apply to almost any genre of music.

The87Italians

Jun 17, 2009
It depends on the concert. I never go to a concert expecting an artist to play their record exactly how it sounds, and it's always a joy to see them mix it up a little live. I feel like its only a rip off if the artist uses a prerecorded track or plays everything EXACTLY like it sounds on the record.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Why do people pay hundreds of dollars to watch a football/hockey/soccer/basketball/baseball team when they could watch it at home for free? Why do people go to bars/restaurants when it's cheaper to eat at home? Why do people go to the movie theater when it's much cheaper to watch things at home? Why do people go to strip clubs when the internet is right here?

The camaraderie and atmosphere.

Watching The World Cup from home is nice. Watching The World Cup in person will blow your freaking face off.

That's what a good band will do to your face when you see them Live.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
In the metal scene 50$ is considered exorbitant, something only King Diamond could get from me in recent memory. For your 10-20$ you also get to hang out with all those people you've been talking to on forums and there's a good chance you can hang out with the band afterwards, mingling at the bar and on more than one occasion getting stoned in the parking lot.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Why do people pay hundreds of dollars to watch a football/hockey/soccer/basketball/baseball team when they could watch it at home for free? Why do people go to bars/restaurants when it's cheaper to eat at home? Why do people go to the movie theater when it's much cheaper to watch things at home? Why do people go to strip clubs when the internet is right here?

The camaraderie and atmosphere.

Watching The World Cup from home is nice. Watching The World Cup in person will blow your freaking face off.

That's what a good band will do to your face when you see them Live.
What if you really don't like the band and you're just going as a favor to someone? I can't even go see who I'd want to cause their stuff sells out in 5 minutes and you can only get it through scalpers.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
RaikuFA said:
What if you really don't like the band and you're just going as a favor to someone? I can't even go see who I'd want to cause their stuff sells out in 5 minutes and you can only get it through scalpers.
Well then it's probably not worth it.

Some bands might be able to change your mind after seeing them live but going to a band you don't like to watch is like watching two teams you don't care for play a sport; you might still get entertained but your chances of a fun time jump the more you want to put into it.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
RaikuFA said:
Could I ask what is the point of them? You're paying a minimum of $50 to $500 for one night of music that you can hear at home for $10. That seems like a rip off to me.
If that's your experience with concerts, I'm afraid you've been going to the wrong ones. Concerts come in a few different flavors. One flavor is the dancing and visual effect extrrrrrrrravaganza, such as Beyoncé or Lady Gaga.

There's dancing and choreography that you'll get neither from the music alone nor even the music video. Plus, many live arrangements are different from the album arrangements. This version of End of Time made for concert openings is very different from the album version.

Another flavor of concert is the "getting to know the band" concert. Bands often don't have the kind of intense choreography that solo performers have, but what they do have is a dynamic within themselves. They talk and riff on each other between songs, they do special things to interact with the audience, and like the other flavor give different arrangements of songs tailored to take advantage of the fact that they've got an audience to play off of (such as encouraging them to sing along and letting the music taper off at the end, just leaving the audience singing together).

Another flavor is basically like the last one, but specifically bands in smaller venues like bars and clubs. These bands can even more closely interact with the audience by taking requests and talking directly to them without having to bring them up on stage or whatever.

All the flavors of concerts have one thing in common: they take whatever type of music the artist performs and puts it in its ideal environment, or fully realizing it. Beyoncé's music is great, but paired up with her dancing and the deafening boom that concert speakers can produce with the energy of a stadium full of people rely drives home the passion and fun of her music. Enter the Haggis on the other hand, which is a Celtic rock band that specializes in modernized folk tunes, airs with bagpipes and fiddles, and drinking songs is best enjoyed in a bar or pub, with a nice beer in your hand and an audience intimate enough to belt out their favorites arm in arm.

Plus, as you can see at the end there, concerts are a chance for the instrumentalists to just let loose and really savor the performance and the sound of the music.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
If there wasn't a point to concerts I wouldn't have work, and for the most part my profession would be pointless.

But I digress.

People go to concerts for escapism, and to jam to their favorite act in a social setting. I've seen people lose their shit over their favorite band play their favorite music, and get to experience it with other people. I could very well make the same argument for sports events since you spend roughly the same amount, but can do it for free from the comfort of your own home.

Also, the reason they're that expensive is because, outside of merch sales, that's their main revenue, and if no one shows up, or not enough to cover the costs of everything, the band will die.

One other thing, I've been to awesome shows, and I've been to horrible shows. Some bands don't play well live, and some are great live. It also depends on who is behind the console too because that can help make or break a show.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
$50-$500? What the fuck kind of shows do you go to? The last concert I went to was only $14 bucks. It was also hella fun.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Most concerts I go to are no more than $30, and even the few that get a bit more pricey the experience and camaraderie that you will experience with drunk people and the band is incredibly worth it.

Especially when the moshing starts.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I can't talk for people who listen to pop/hiphop/dance/techno or anything else outside of the Rock/Metal genre.
But for me it's the thrill, the atmosphere and the whole happening around it.
Usually the Rock/Metal bands that I've seen live, includes IronMaiden, Kiss, Stratovarius, Sabaton, Crashdiet and many more, these guys are all A LOT better live than on record. There's a certain energy that you just don't get out of a CD.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Why do anything when you could do it alone at home? People. Atmosphere. Experience. Journey. Excitement. And you say "one night" like that diminishes its value? Big concerts are often once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. But, hey; maybe you don't listen to the kind of music that benefits from live performance. In which case, cool. But most music is just so much more alive in person.

VyseRogueKing

Oct 27, 2011
Concerts are experiences. You get to see and hear stuff that normally doesn't happen.

For instance in a They Might Be Giants concert there was a bit of sock puppet stand-up that was actually pretty hilarious. There was also one of the best guitar solos I've ever heard in one of my favorite songs by them which already had a decent solo. That was pretty frickin' sweet. Plus Jonathan Coulton opened for them which is awesome as well. It's cool to see your favorite musicians in person. (Also got a free poster from that event)

At a chiptune concert event on top of having some serious energy Anamanaguchi played a couple of songs from their most recent album a couple years before it was released. It also introduced me to other chiptune bands.

I'm pretty damn anti-social but it's fun being in a crowd of people who enjoy the same thing you do and aren't afraid to show it.

There's also the fact that even though our recording software is pretty damn good but it still isn't perfect which at a concert you get to hear every detail. Especially important for orchestras since the hall you listen to them in is specifically designed to accentuate every detail. It made Symphony of the Goddesses WAY better than the CD. I nearly cried listening to that and one of my friends had tears running down their face.

Don't knock it till you try it. I recommend heading out to see a band you like just to experience and balance whether or not it's actually worth it because I believe it is.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Concerts are experiences. Personally, I prefer music festivals as they tend to be a lot more worth my money because there is more than one band there and usually over 2 or 3 days.

Also, fact, some bands sound a lot better live.

I despise crowds and people and get really anxious in situations like that. However, I make exceptions for shows and music festivals. Some of the coolest people you'll ever meet go there. And some of the nicest. However there are always the complete assholes too. You'll unfortunately get that everywhere.

But the energy of the crowd, the energy of the band, the music you like listening to seeing it live, sometimes meeting the band (I can't tell you the number of bands I've made friends with because they like to sell their own merch and shit)...You can't get that on a cd. Not even a live cd.

I could do without the energy crash I get after highly social events like that but that's something I can't really help and part of me being an introvert but the rest of it is so amazing. However, it's not for everyone. The best way to determine is to go out and experience it yourself.