So Did Wonder Woman Stop the Holocaust?

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
bastardofmelbourne said:
Kinda. Maybe. In a lot of ways, though, Hitler was his own worst enemy. It's debatable whether Nazi Germany would've been any less effective with him dead considering there were thirty-something plots to assassinate the guy, all coming from inside his own regime. And what do you do if the replacement Fuhrer is more inclined to ask for an armistice while he's still ahead? Now you've got a stable post-war Nazi Germany, continuing its shenanigans well into the 50s and 60s.
A Nazi Germany without Hitler might be more effective, but I'd argue that it'd be quite a bit less evil. Let's say that Wonder Woman offs Hitler, Himmler, and few high-level Party and SS leaders. That leaves Goering, Speer, and the army in charge. Are these good, nice, wonderful men? No. But to paraphrase Margaret Thatcher, they are at least men we can deal with.

I think it's reasonable to point at the most virulently evil men and say they have to go without having to guess at what might happen ten or twenty years down the line via unknowable political decisions as yet unmade. Maybe a couple decades of rule by an un-Hitlered Nazi Germany is less bad than what actually went down when the Soviets came in. Maybe it falls apart like Francoist Spain and democracy comes to Poland and Eastern Europe in the 70's instead of the 90's. Maybe a weakened USSR can't flip China. Maybe the Cold War never happens. Maybe maybe maybe. No one is an oracle and usually all you can worry about is what's in front of you.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Silentpony said:
No, 'cause the man she slept with died, therefore there's no good in the world. Remember, the entire movie was basically about how no woman can reach their true potential until a man loves them.
So Captain Kirk gets offed, Diana goes super-Sayan for like a minute, then decides everything is terrible, and I guess goes to live in closet for the next 80 years, complaining to her cats until a billionaire man tells her to stop.

Its the classic feminist story.
She wasn't cynical at the end of the movie just more realistically hopeful. She also got involved in the Doomsday battle without Batman asking

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
You don't stop WWII by winning WWI. I think history made that painfully obvious. In hindsight, screw the French and British. They had ample opportunities to meet Germany's suits for peace but felt like dragging the match out longer to farm kills and rep. At the very least, Versailles could have gone easier on Germany and put the screws to Austria whose bellicosity started the war to begin with.