So EA outdid themselves again

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Edit: Come to think of it, though, I honestly don't even remember if they got so far as releasing the demo. And yes, I know, they called it a "prototype version". Tomay-to, Tomah-to.
Nope, Capcom never released the demo at all. There is only one person in North America who has ever played the Demo for Megaman Legends 3, which is fully complete by the way, and that was one of the journalists at D-toid. No one else has played it.
Interesting thing though is that the entire demo was shown off in multiple videos, and now a group of Japanese gamers are recreating the demo for the PC right now, and I believe they are almost done with the first mission too.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
I thought we're already accustomed to paying for demos...*COUGHearlyaccessCOUGH*

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
There's already an explanation halfway through the comments and OP still hasn't changed anything, so really it's an EA hate train thread.

Also Early Access beat them ages ago and that's not even a good thing.

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
They only decided it was an "error" because people didn't like it, it's nothing but Microsoft-esque backtracking.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Seth Carter said:
Isn't this what ninety percent of Early Access is?

EA seems late to the party, if anything.
OH SNAP!

Though no, not really. Early Access isn't the demo, it's full access to the game as-is as it gets developed, and you still get to keep it when it's finished. It's closer to a pre-purchase that gives you the game right away instead of waiting for the release date; for better or for worse.

Neta said:
They only decided it was an "error" because people didn't like it, it's nothing but Microsoft-esque backtracking.
That would certainly be EA's modus operandi. Though I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in this case and assume that it was an honest mistake.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
canadamus_prime said:
As much as I hate to defend EA, charging for demos is nothing new. Years ago you used to be able to buy sample versions of some PC games for $5. The displays for these would be everywhere, even in stores that didn't normally sell games.
Really? I'm interested in this as I don't think anything like it every existed in Britain. Years ago games magazines would often have a disk, or if you go far back enough a cassette, with a number of demos or in somecases full games, but those were nominally free, it was the magazine you were paying for. I don't think I've every bought, or even seen for sale, a demo (or sample) version of a game for sale individually. Maybe just down to "cultural differences". You mean one single demo would be on sale for 5 dollars? Sound's like a lot to me. What era are we talking about? (if you go back far enough even full games sold for less that 5 dollars.)

Neta said:
That would certainly be EA's modus operandi. Though I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in this case and assume that it was an honest mistake.[/quote]

Taking things the other way around, if it was an honest mistake, hopefully not too many people bought the game for those five euros. We don't want EA getting any more ideas...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
LaoJim said:
canadamus_prime said:
As much as I hate to defend EA, charging for demos is nothing new. Years ago you used to be able to buy sample versions of some PC games for $5. The displays for these would be everywhere, even in stores that didn't normally sell games.
Really? I'm interested in this as I don't think anything like it every existed in Britain. Years ago games magazines would often have a disk, or if you go far back enough a cassette, with a number of demos or in somecases full games, but those were nominally free, it was the magazine you were paying for. I don't think I've every bought, or even seen for sale, a demo (or sample) version of a game for sale individually. Maybe just down to "cultural differences". You mean one single demo would be on sale for 5 dollars? Sound's like a lot to me. What era are we talking about? (if you go back far enough even full games sold for less that 5 dollars.)
I recall seeing those displays as late as 1992, I think.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
*Takes deep breath*

tippy2k2 said:
Sorry to derail the hate train before it gets any kind of traction but all gaming sites are reporting that it was a system mistake and will be fixed (or has already been fixed but I don't have a Xbox One so I can't go look for myself):

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/4/5870363/xbox-one-ea-charges-for-fifa-14-ea-sports-ufc-demos-error

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/humorous-glitch-briefly-shows-5-ea-demos-fifa-14-ufc-xbox-one/

http://www.totalxbox.com/78962/paid-for-fifa-14-and-ea-sports-ufc-demos-are-an-error-ea-confirms/
...Well I supposed I should look on the bright side of this. Even EA is THAT stupid.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Hazy992 said:
It was just an error guys, cool your jets. Not everything involving EA is a grand, evil conspiracy to part you with your cash, sometimes mistakes happen.
Yeah, these days that's Ubisoft's gig. :p

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
I don't believe it to be just an error: the price is far too believable. And even if by some chance it is, it's EA's own fault people are so quick to blame them.

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
I wonder if anyone actually paid for the demo before they noticed the mistake.

Sgt. Sykes said:
Remember when the first chapter of Quake sold for $10 on CD and you could then buy the rest?
I still had the disc for that up until a few years ago when it was lost while moving house. Good memories.