So Escapist! What University will you be attending? (/do you attend?)

e033x

Sep 13, 2010
While not techically a University, I have started at the Norwegian Academy of Music, studying conducting.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
DoPo said:
I'm actually still an undergrad. I'm on a 4 year MEng course. Yeah, you could say I also did my Bachelor's here.
Ah Okay, so you've been around for a while then. How did you manage with the housing crisis each year then?

Sorry for all the questions, the only other current students on the fb page are all nobs and find "trolling" freshers to be hilarious.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Raven said:
DoPo said:
I'm actually still an undergrad. I'm on a 4 year MEng course. Yeah, you could say I also did my Bachelor's here.
Ah Okay, so you've been around for a while then. How did you manage with the housing crisis each year then?

Sorry for all the questions, the only other current students on the fb page are all nobs and find "trolling" freshers to be hilarious.
Meh, no big problem. The housing crisis is overrated. My current place is 50/week with no bills included and I got it back in February. Last year I was paying 65 a week with all the bills (gas, electricity, internet) and I found it in the end of July. Basically, you just have to look at the right times - November-December-ish first, then the end of January and February-ish, afterwards it's a bit harder but still entirely manageable if you just stroll through town for a while. I know of nobody who was left in the street.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
DoPo said:
Meh, no big problem. The housing crisis is overrated. My current place is 50/week with no bills included and I got it back in February. Last year I was paying 65 a week with all the bills (gas, electricity, internet) and I found it in the end of July. Basically, you just have to look at the right times - November-December-ish first, then the end of January and February-ish, afterwards it's a bit harder but still entirely manageable if you just stroll through town for a while. I know of nobody who was left in the street.
I've heard the problem was more of a captive market thing with it being a case of hit and miss whether or not you get a dick of a landlord? How many will provide really shitty accommodation and take students for a ride with contracts and stuff. But I guess that only really applies if you don't follow the normal channels to find accommodation etc.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Raven said:
DoPo said:
I've heard the problem was more of a captive market thing with it being a case of hit and miss whether or not you get a dick of a landlord? How many will provide really shitty accommodation and take students for a ride with contracts and stuff. But I guess that only really applies if you don't follow the normal channels to find accommodation etc.
Yeah, dick landlords are a nuisance. I'm using the same agency for a second time, though, so I'm OK. Also, word of mouth can warn and/or recommend some places over others, so you it's not too hard to avoid them. It's the lettings agencies that cause the bad stuff - they gradually release their properties in a few batches (as I said, November-December-ish, then around February and a couple more times), so if you don't get a place then, you might be forced to either wait hoping for something to show up, or take a gamble with an ad. The former approach almost seems fairer, but again, the lettings agencies might hike up the prices because they know people would be desperate. Actually, same goes for all the prices. So, if you look around early, you avoid most of this.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
DoPo said:
Yeah, dick landlords are a nuisance. I'm using the same agency for a second time, though, so I'm OK. Also, word of mouth can warn and/or recommend some places over others, so you it's not too hard to avoid them. It's the lettings agencies that cause the bad stuff - they gradually release their properties in a few batches (as I said, November-December-ish, then around February and a couple more times), so if you don't get a place then, you might be forced to either wait hoping for something to show up, or take a gamble with an ad. The former approach almost seems fairer, but again, the lettings agencies might hike up the prices because they know people would be desperate. Actually, same goes for all the prices. So, if you look around early, you avoid most of this.
Thanks for the tips, Guess I had best start looking for a place early on... What sort of prices/space/location is a good deal? Also, what would the average deposit be for each housemate?

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Raven said:
DoPo said:
Thanks for the tips, Guess I had best start looking for a place early on... What sort of prices/space/location is a good deal? Also, what would the average deposit be for each housemate?
Well, my place is quite cheap - 50 a week. Average low price (no bills included) will be around 65-ish probably 70. You may be looking at 80-ish as a normal price. Deposit will be somewhere between 150 and 300 pounds. I'm with GD Lettings (on the main road, in the centre of the town) and I'm quite pleased. If anybody is desperate, I can refer them to my last landlady - she's a super nice Chinese lady, and the place is quite nice, only problem is that the room offered is also small (I'm talking really small). But that's my previous place - £65 per week, all bills included. It's nice and cosy, if you don't plan on having many people in your room.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
DoPo said:
Well, my place is quite cheap - 50 a week. Average low price (no bills included) will be around 65-ish probably 70. You may be looking at 80-ish as a normal price. Deposit will be somewhere between 150 and 300 pounds. I'm with GD Lettings (on the main road, in the centre of the town) and I'm quite pleased. If anybody is desperate, I can refer them to my last landlady - she's a super nice Chinese lady, and the place is quite nice, only problem is that the room offered is also small (I'm talking really small). But that's my previous place - £65 per week, all bills included. It's nice and cosy, if you don't plan on having many people in your room.
Okay well thanks for the info dude and maybe I'll bump into you in the pub one day ;)