So escapists, what is the oldest game you own a PHYSICAL copy of ?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Aussie502 said:
Battlezone for PC, such a wonderful game mixing RTS and FPS elements together. Best game Activision ever developed.
I saw this and thought of a different Battlezone, the Atari arcade game from the late 70's or early 80's. Which makes me wonder: do ports and re-releases count? Because if so, I've got ports of things like Pong and Space War, the latter of which would be an /thread unless someone had room for a 1950's era computer to run Tennis for Two on. If ports and re-releases don't count, I'm not sure, but it's almost definitely something for the NES. All of my 1980's era PC games are re-issues, and the few floppy based games I managed to save from being thrown out when my parents were getting rid of the floppy discs are 3.5" floppies, so we're talking, like, 1989 or so at the latest, and 1991 being a more likely date. My NES collection could conceivably include launch games; I'm not entirely sure how old everything I have is.

Edit: I had some free time, so I pulled out my NES games and started looking up release dates. The absolute oldest game I have is Super Mario Bros, but since it's one of the Super Mario Bros/Duckhunt/World Class Trackmeet carts that were pressed in 1990 or 1991, it doesn't really count. Same with my next oldest, The Legend of Zelda, which was first released in February of 1986, but my copy is the rarer grey cartridge, which was made in 1989 if I remember correctly. That means the actual oldest hard copy of any game I have is my copy of Gumshoe, which was also released in 1986, but later in the year than Zelda. The thing is four years older than I am...

ihax4snax

Jul 26, 2011
super mario world for the snes, it is a shame because while I liked that game I no longer have a working snes

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Tomm0505 said:
Either Low G man, Kabuki or Zelda II for Nes

All very fun games. Exexpt Zelda II.
? Zelda II is awesome. It gets a bad rap for being so unlike the rest of the series, but on its own merits, it's one of the best games on the NES. The sidescrolling combat was brilliant, especially when you get to the tougher enemies that have abilities similar to Link.

Ryu-Kage

May 6, 2011
I might have other Atari 2600 games around the house, or I might not, I'm not sure. The oldest game that was made that I own is E.T. It cost 75 cents at a hobby shop near my college, and I've had it for two years or so.

If you mean the game that I've owned for the longest time, though, it's Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt. My folks bought me that for Christmas one year.

Ymbirtt

May 3, 2009
Lying around somewhere I've got a public domain software library disk with all sorts of old treasures on it. I think the oldest on there is Rogue, widely heralded as the first ever dungeon crawler.

IvanRosski

Apr 24, 2008
Hard to say exactly, but collectively, the several hundred Spectrum 48k+ games that i still have. On tape. And the Spectrum to run them on!

On a side note, I now feel really old...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I have a copy of Aliens versus Predator 2 from 2002. I'm fairly young so I don't have many games from older consoles.

Demonicdan

Dec 8, 2010
Pokemon Red, but that probably doesn't really count because I only bought it a few months ago. Come to think of it I have sonic the hedgehog for megadrive still with the box, I'm fairly sure that's older.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
Populous the Beginning from 1998. I thought it was really good back in the day, but wikipedia tells me the ones before it were superior.

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
I have my dad's NES with Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, World Class Track Meet, Tetris, Rad Racer, and Top Gun (BWAAAAAAAAAAH, THE HORROR) in my closet at this very moment.

Otherwise, my dad still has copies of Tomb Raider Gold and MechWarrior 2 for PC, and I still have my old Putt-Putt and Fatty Bear point-n-click games from the 90s.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Uh, probably Fable: The Lost Chapters. A great classic, but I don't have a great tolerance for 'retro' games. I had many cherished Xbox Originals but had to give them away after my console died and the 360 refused to support 3/4 of them.