So far, the Witcher 3 seems kind of sexist

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
I would agree with 70% of the OP if it wasn't for Geralt being a fully fledged person in a developed world. What I find more weird about the Witcher series (I haven't played them, except for 1 for about 10 hours (The Swamp area got so laggy)) is that you have dialogue choices. At all. I know he had amnesia in the beginning of part 1, but people with a lack of memory still have agency.

Yeah, I am also aware of the genre and its implications, but it doesn't make it any less weird to me.

That said, if Geralt was a woman-beating rapist, tough luck imo. Don't play it. I could understand if you can not stomach that.

But imagine this: You're the writer for the The Witcher games. You have pretty specific source material. And you have the game in a rather specific genre with its tropes like dialogue choices. What are you supposed to do?

- Geralt has a pretty specific background
- The The Witcher-world is pretty specific
- You have dialogue branches that need to be consistent within the world
- Fans of the source material will fling poo at you if you screw up majorly
----- Again, you need to respect the source material

So how would you handle that?

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Naldan said:
I would agree with 70% of the OP if it wasn't for Geralt being a fully fledged person in a developed world. What I find more weird about the Witcher series (I haven't played them, except for 1 for about 10 hours (The Swamp area got so laggy)) is that you have dialogue choices. At all. I know he had amnesia in the beginning of part 1, but people with a lack of memory still have agency.

Yeah, I am also aware of the genre and its implications, but it doesn't make it any less weird to me.

That said, if Geralt was a woman-beating rapist, tough luck imo. Don't play it. I could understand if you can not stomach that.

But imagine this: You're the writer for the The Witcher games. You have pretty specific source material. And you have the game in a rather specific genre with its tropes like dialogue choices. What are you supposed to do?

They are perfectly fine with ignoring the source material whenever it gets in the way of tits even though was plenty of that to work with from the books.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
The Almighty Aardvark said:
So, let me recap.
The main reason that you are upset about the witcher 3 is the fact that you have the option to choose a dialogue choice which doesn't completely condemn an abusive husband?
Were is the problem? Like really, there still is the option to completely condemn the bloody baron for his actions. Are you really complaining about the fact that your character says something sexist, when you choose a sexist dialogue-choice. Then just don't choose the sexist dialogue-choice, maybe? It's not rocket-science.
As for the superhot babes. It's pretty much part of the source material and lore. The main female characters are all sorcerecess that change their body with magic. Did you know Yennefer originally has a hunchback? Yeah.
When you look at the normal NPC characters the female characters look at best average and most look just as ugly as the male ones.

DementedSheep said:
They are perfectly fine with ignoring the source material whenever it gets in the way of tits even though was plenty of that to work with from the books.
Please name one concrete instance were they actively go against the source material in order to have some naked breasts show up, I'll wait.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Phasmal said:
wulf3n said:
It doesn't though. It's actually one of the few games that treats it's audience as adults. It's not telling you what to think, it's crafting a realistic scenario and letting you decide for yourself.

This is a depressingly common attitude though, and it makes me wonder if games can be more than toys if so many of it's core supporters aren't willing to give more than a superficial analaysis.
I'm willing to give things more than a superficial analysis if they're not domestic abuse. Games are and can be more than toys. But I reserve my right to go 'Oh domestic abuse? Nawp'. And then not engage.
There's no reason to despair just because I personally do not like it. I don't watch films or TV with domestic abuse either, if I can help it.
There's a difference between "not wanting to engage" and saying the game is "trying to make you sympathise with a domestic abuser".

The former is fine, the latter however is an objective statement that's demonstrably wrong.

Phasmal said:
I must say, for all the moaning about SJW's and 'triggering' and all that, gamers take it awfully personally when someone doesn't like a thing that they like.
I'd hardly say anything that has been said in this thread demonstrates "taking it personally". Simply disagreement.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
The degree to which everyone seems to fawn over Geralt, attractive stud that he is, is kind of remniscient of a harem anime.
Please god let a manga spoof of the witcher be made. I haven't played the witcher, and likely won't unless it goes on sale and they haven't released any Walking Simulator sequels that might steal away my attention, but I would totally support a joke-y, harem manga take on the character.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Naldan said:

Geralt is dead in the books. The ship on being 100% faithful to the source material sails at the start of the games.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
The Chinese Room, is that you? You still mad Rapture didn't get as much attention as Witcher?

OT: From what I can gather, the female characters you meet are pretty strong characters.

Sep 13, 2009
What bothers me about this whole thread and countless others is that consumers get so rattled about anything not politically correct. For one thing, it's a video game depicting a time when this type of behavior was normal. Even if it wasn't, that's the creator's choice, and if the consumer doesn't like it, they don't have to buy it.

Not directing this at any one person including OP, but IMO that's where these issues should end.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
MeatMachine said:
This was exactly the point I was going to make. The Witcher series is a medieval fantasy world, with a heavy, heavy, HEAVY emphasis on the "medieval" part. Nothing about the Witcher universe is supposed to seem contemporary, and by design, it draws inspiration solely from wordviews, cultures, and problems relevant to an obsolete time period. The sexual subordination of women is only one drop in the bucket for the rest of the world's medieval injustices and culture (such as children being taken to watch public lynchings and the live pyre burnings of non-humans and witches in order to instill a sense of justice and loyalty to a particular authority).
Except this is not really true. The Witcher universe has a lot of anachronistic quirks, which is what sets it apart from standard fantasy fiction. For one, the sciences are far evolved and use a lot of modern day terminology, from the witchers talking about mutating their genes (in those very words) to chemists using modern day chemistry theory and healers discussing concepts like antiseptics, bacteria and other medical terms that weren't around during the middle ages (antiseptics became a thing in the 19th century, for the record). The most striking example is that there's an entire quest line in Novigrad where you work with a coroner, a job description that only appeared in the late 19th century and didn't really flourish until the mid-20th century.

Whatever else the Witcher world is, it is not simply "medieval" even if it draws obvious inspiration from medieval Poland. It keeps astounding me that people are totally okay with monsters (definitely not a real thing), modern day terrorists (the Scoia'Tel, who are even framed in the contemporary freedom fighter/terrorist dichotomy), and modern political thought (the right of people to be free and decide for themselves, a running theme with Geralt) in their Fantasy setting, but the moment someone criticizes the one-sided portrayal of women as subordinated to men it becomes all about "realistic portrayal of medieval times". The Witcher is not alone in this (Game of Thrones, anyone?) but it makes for some tedious "Fantasy", when no author can ever imagine a world where women could be equal to men, apparently.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Gethsemani said:
it makes for some tedious "Fantasy", when no author can ever imagine a world where women could be equal to men, apparently.
Depends on who's doing the fantasising.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Meh. I wonder if people are just trying to find reasons to down on something. Shoehorning labels into works, or otherwise dropping overanalyzed critiques on videogames as a medium... sure there's probably something we could all nitpick about just about anything in the medium. But the question is, do we need to do this? Is it really helping the hobby? Is it making things better or really bogging things down with hypercritical arguments?
Sure its a good thing to be inclusive, to try to be sensitive towards minority issues, etc. However, games aren't real life and perhaps we shouldn't try to force real world issues on fantasy stories and games. I'd rather save my higher criticism for absolutely blatant missteps that truly harm others in their portrayal. A fantasy setting mixed with medieval themes isn't necessarily being sexist if its portraying a time period, even if its got fantastical overtones and themes. Its capturing a way of life and viewpoints that yes we might not agree with, but are nevertheless something that did exist. Even if its a story set in a world that isn't real, its still a theme of a certain era that doesn't make the game somehow evil and marginalizing to modern real world folks.
Its like going hypercritical of a game with slaves set in a world or time period that still has such a thing. Just by playing a game that has possibly uncomfortable things in a setting does not mean you or the devs support it. Its part and parcel of a story. However if there's a clear line where the story/game seems to be actively supporting said issue that we find abhorrent or wrong in the real world, then perhaps its a problem.
Just sayin'.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Phasmal said:
B-Cell said:
Phasmal said:
Yeah but Geralt is ugly. That's one of the reasons I can't get into The Witcher.
so you want main characters to looks like super model my friend?

come on, main characters should looks badass. not supermodel.
Yeah. If every woman is immediately down to drop her panties at the sight of Geralt, he should at least be good-looking enough to merit that.

Female main characters are always sexy. Give me a sexy Geralt.
I'm pretty sure you're in the minority who thinks Geralt isn't an attractive male.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Is it me or are we getting a lot of 'Blog' like topic starters lately? Not complaining but it's starting to get noticeable. Anyway, I don't agree that the Witcher seems sexist and so rebuttals ahoy!

First off, this game is blatantly one sided in its sex appeal, and it's shown off quite frequently. Out of the three main female characters I've seen so far, two of them were introduced totally naked, and one of them is your daughter figure. From what I know of Triss, I wouldn't be at all surprised if she was introduced with a similar level of apparel. The degree to which everyone seems to fawn over Geralt, attractive stud that he is, is kind of remniscient of a harem anime.
Man, if I had an oren for every dude walking around in just their pants in Oxenfurt I could afford to buy a blindfold so I don't need to see the sea of sinewy Polish dockworkers ever again.

I'm assuming you're talking about Keira for the second one since we aren't introduced to Ciri naked. But as regards the sexy sorceresses, it's a little context sensitive. AND oddly enough, is part of the setting.

In the Witcher universe sorceresses are, traditionally, ugly girls who are taught magic and can then use it to smooth out the features they don't want. For example, Yennefer was a hunchback. It's also a pretty handy feature since, as you might have gleamed, they're quite politically active and it never hurts to be a stupidly attractive woman when you're manipulating people. As you will hopefully discover, even one of the smartest men in the political landscape of the kingdoms got completely taken for a ride by one sorceress in the second game and is still very bitter about it. As regards the Geralt being attractive thing... barring two, one (gotta be honest, it really does just feel like one sometimes) example they're doing it to manipulate him. Because Geralt is many things but one thing he is not is good with women.

Speaking of Geralt being an attractive stud, this is not chiefly because he is particularly attractive, but because just about every other male NPC in the world is incredibly ugly. You see this kind of trope very often in games, movies, etc... where the world is full of drop dead gorgeous female NPCs, and fuck ugly male NPCs. Except for the player character of course, because the player doesn't want their avatar to be ugly, they just don't have any interest in the other male NPC's attractiveness because the player is quite evidently assumed to be a guy.
Peasants gonna peasant. There are good looking people in the world just not many humans among them, NPCs in particular do not have a good run of handsome or beautiful faces, quite equal opportunity hideousness.

Which leads me to the Bloody Baron questline. Now don't get me wrong, I think this questline overall very good, and I love just how personal it is, as well as how they didn't straight up paint the Baron as an inhuman monster. From here, it's worth noting that there's spoilers for the Bloody Baron questline. It made me kind of uncomfortable watching the Bloody Baron's questline, I liked that they made him human, but they kept toeing the line between making him understandable and human, to making him seem sympathetic and justified. Now that I've almost finished the quest, I have a better idea of where it stands, and as things look, it's kind of shitty.
Now, I'm trying to abstain from personal takes on this, but I'm confused how you can like how they try and humanise him but then object that it makes him look sympathetic (though notably, I and many other players would never say he's shown as being justified), is that not what makes this questline so interesting? That the Baron has a complete and rounded character who is very much reprehensible but at the same time you understand why he does what he does?

To start off with, the Baron requests that you find his missing wife and daughter. You don't have much detail to start off with, but he appears to just be a doting father and husband. As the quest unfolds, however, you see that this is a facade, and that his wife and daughter ran away because he regularly beat his wife. To the point that she apparently miscarried the child. As even more unfolds, it turns out that the child was not miscarried from the beatings, but from a deal she made with the Crones because she couldn't stand the thought of giving birth to child of this husband who she didn't love and beat her.
Important to mention, the Baron IS a doting father. He quite legitimately loves Tamara and she doesn't mention him striking her while listing in detail his other faults (Tamara is kind of important to understanding the Bloody Baron a little more since she offers another perspective on things)

Where this turns south for me, is the conversation you have with the Baron after you find out Anna's (The wife's) fate. The Baron explains that he's not the only guilty party here, and elaborates more on the story. When they first wed, the Baron was a soldier, they were in love to start off with, but then he spent all his time in battle, in campaigns. During that time, Anna fell out of love with him, and cheated on him with another man. When he returned, she declared that she was in love with this new man, and that she was going to take their daughter and go live with him. The Baron was furious, and drunk, so he killed the man his wife loved, tore him to pieces and fed it to his dogs. Anna became upset, and tried to kill him with a knife, the Baron then hit her, because it was the only way to calm her. Over the remaining years of their marriage she would keep trying to kill him, kill herself, or goad him into violence, after which he'd continue to beat her until she stopped.
Haven't played that bit in a while but from what I remember the beatings were usually that Anna knew exactly what to say to set him off and would do it because of the mental distress it would cause. But I'm glad you mention his backstory because it does actually illustrate why the Baron does what he does; he is a soldier. He has exactly one way to handle problems and like the old saying about hammers and nails, he couldn't handle Anna doing her best to harm him the only way she knew how. Plus, as you go on to point out-

First of all, Anna cheating on her husband was wrong, no question. So was her just taking their child and leaving. However, the Baron's response to dismember the man that she loves, feed him to dogs, and then expect his wife to then continue living with him happily? Holy fucking shit, that's just whole other level of wrong.
Indeed, this was a gross over-reaction, which the Baron himself acknowledges. Pretty fair to say booze was involved. But then the follow up question would be; what would have been the right response? Bear in mind, this guy has been fighting, killing and maraudering all for this woman he's loved, think of all the things he must have done in the wars, what would you expect him to do? I highly doubt his thought process was vicious murder -> everything good, it was just how he wanted to try and get back at Anna AND the guy who cuckolded him.

If the Baron was still portrayed as in the wrong after this, then that would have been fine, but the two dialogue choices were:
"Sounds like you two deserve each other"
And
"You're still in the wrong".

What happens if you choose the latter? The bit that Geralt decides to pick at for what makes him in the wrong is that "The Baron was in the wrong for being away from his wife, which led her to cheat on him". Uh... what? Out of everything that happened - having driven his wife to the point of suicide by slaughtering the man she loved in front of her, keeping her trapped in a relationship with a man who murdered someone he loved, and beating her regularly in fits of rage - the mistake he made was "Putting her in a position to cheat"? All this leads me to believe is that they wanted to have a dialogue choice besides "You were both in the wrong", and the closest they could figure out was "Uh, how about if he was somehow responsible for her cheating?". This is further reinforced by how Geralt is totally shut down if he says that. Showing that anything besides "You were both in the wrong" is the answer for people who clearly didn't think this situation through enough.
To be fair, Geralt's OWN relationships are gigantically fucked up, the very core of the current love triangle is the Triss/Yennefer issue and the complications of who's cheating on whom. A certain amount of this exchange could well be Geralt's own somewhat toxic past with relationships and zeroing on what is probably the minorest point. Also, how does saying they deserve each other exonerate him? It's just acknowledging that Anna was equally shitty. While it is the minorest point, it's possibly also the one defensible one given he acknowledges he over-reacted.

Frankly, the elaboration that the Bloody Baron gave make him seem a lot worse to me, as opposed to more sympathetic. And everything following it gives rise to this notion that cheating on your husband is pretty much equivalent to murdering your wife's lover in front of her, driving her to suicide, then beating her regularly over the years. Thus far, everything that I'm seeing is convincing me that they were going for a "Both people were at fault" situation.

Why is this sexist? The notion of years of spousal abused being even close to equivalent to cheating on your husband is incredibly dismissive of the severity of spousal abuse, and gives the suggestion that somehow she was asking for it by goading him, and cheating on him.
Are you forgetting that Anna sacrificed the life of a baby? Remember how the Bloody Baron looked when he had to name her? The Baron's claims that she abused him verbally and knew how to make him fly into a rage make a pretty solid argument that Anna was at least as at fault. If you want to chalk it blow for blow, Anna did a pretty solid job of fucking her husband up, too. I count one person dear to their spouse killed on each side, the question of whether mental or physical abuse hurts more and Anna has cheating under her belt too. Now, I wouldn't necessarily say it was equivalent but you can't deny Anna did some pretty shitty things to her husband. Bearing in mind he loved her; he may have been a TERRIBLE husband, but he did love her.

Just to end this off, I want to remind everyone again that I like this game, and moreover, there is a lot that I really like in the Bloody Baron arc. That being said, the way it handles a lot of things leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
There really is no GOOD way to address this. Philip and Anna Strenger are an absolutely awful pair of people. I think that CDProjekt RED were attempting to balance the books with how you perceive the couple. It'd be immensely easy to portray either Philip or Anna as the victim but having them BOTH be complete shitsacs to each other? Well, you feel they swung too far into the Baron's court. I can't say I agree but that's your take. I DEFINITELY wouldn't say that trying to show a violent husband as a human being makes the game sexist.

I would also add, you might want to get a bit further into the game before trying to examine the sexism of an entire game. You sound like you've very nearly gotten to the end of the first third of Act 1. So... you have a while left to go. You are, of course, still entitled to an opinion. But you may want to get a bit more information before you begin Chinese Room-ing it.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Adam Jensen said:
People just have to see sexism in everything. If they can't find it easy, they'll dig and dig and dig until they can find something and call it sexist. It's bullshit.
"If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail."
People often just want to talk about an issue that is particularly close to them, so they grab every occasion they can get to talk about it. I never skip an opportunity to rant about the definition of a scientific theory, for example, even if the context isn't really 'about' that. It just bothers me.

Oct 22, 2011
wulf3n said:
I think the OP's assessment of the Bloody Baron quest does the developers a disservice.

As Casual Shinji pointed out, the Bloody Baron trying to justify his actions is not the developers trying to absolve him, but rather them crafting a realistic character, not a saturday morning cartoon villain.

I can't remember who said it but I remember a quote that's basically saying that very few people who do bad things see themselves as bad, even if they acknowledge their actions were bad.

I actually find this refreshing in games. All too often devs feel like they need to make a point with these sorts of issues, and in doing so end up creating rather 1 dimensional scenarios and characters.
It says something about the road this medium has still to tread, if that kind of writing is lauded as unique and/or perceived as controversial.

Haven't played WIII yet so i don't really want refer to OP's pleas, but i have two cents to add, regarding Eau d'Yen:
In the books, she's probably the only character that has this kind of pretty intimate feature attributed to her. Those lilac and gooseberry perfumes are as important description of her appearance as her violet eyes or obsidian star necklace. It's supposed to lampshade the special, different kind of bond Geralt had with her. It was also very distinctive, so i can
I can see how some people can perceive telling someone that she smells nice as creepy. Just as telling the opposite is perceived as being rude. Don't necessarilly agree with this sentiment, but... *shrug*
I'd also check this under old-timey ways of signalizing affection. Like, for example, giving loved one lock of one's hair(which reminds me more of a voodoo fetish).

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
"Sounds like you two deserve each other"

And

"You're still in the wrong".
Out of respect for your not having played more of Witcher 3 (and a desire to avoid spoiling future events) I'd like to focus on the two choices that you're focusing on in this particular segment.
First of all, you do have the option to simply not listen to any of this. I do recall a dialogue choice that has Geralt telling the Baron that he's not interested in listening to his justifications. I found that choice quite refreshing because while the devs obviously put a lot of time and effort into writing all that dialogue and animating the accompanying scenes, they were still willing to give players the option to simply sidestep the whole debate and continue with the game. And that's a great thing. The devs could have easily forced the player to sit through all the dialogue and the accompanying murkiness but they didn't. They let the player skip all that in-game.
Secondly, I do recall a third dialogue option that has Geralt saying something along the lines of 'Not my business to get involved' even after listening to the whole story from the Baron. That too was a refreshing option to see. The game doesn't force the player to pick a side. It gives the option to say 'No comment'. More games need options like this rather than forcing players to declare for one side or the other.

On a more general note: Is Witcher 3 sexist? I don't know. There're certainly a lot more men in the business of fighting and in government than there are women but the few women that are presented as 'empowered' (for lack of a better term), specifically witches and sorceresses, are capable of destroying cities and summoning fireballs from the sky. These are things very few of the men in the business of fighting and government can do.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Gethsemani said:
Whatever else the Witcher world is, it is not simply "medieval" even if it draws obvious inspiration from medieval Poland. It keeps astounding me that people are totally okay with monsters (definitely not a real thing), modern day terrorists (the Scoia'Tel, who are even framed in the contemporary freedom fighter/terrorist dichotomy), and modern political thought (the right of people to be free and decide for themselves, a running theme with Geralt) in their Fantasy setting, but the moment someone criticizes the one-sided portrayal of women as subordinated to men it becomes all about "realistic portrayal of medieval times". The Witcher is not alone in this (Game of Thrones, anyone?) but it makes for some tedious "Fantasy", when no author can ever imagine a world where women could be equal to men, apparently.
Point of order; WHICH women are sub-ordinated to men?
Ciri, the chosen one and future empress of the whole of Nilfgard (if she chooses to be so)?
Yennefer who, historically, has had Geralt dancing on a string?
Hows about the Lodge of Sorceresses as a whole, which is essentially the illuminati?
Cerys an Craite, the future Queen (if you have any damn sense in who you back)?
Ves who is subordinate to exactly one man, her commander officer, and has many men subordinate TO her?
Milva who backs the sco'iatel and soldiers on through a pregnancy to help Geralt and his group?

Could you give me an example so I know what to debate?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
I'm pretty sure you're in the minority who thinks Geralt isn't an attractive male.
Perhaps. I know a few other women who think Geralt is either ugly or 'meh', none of them think he's a real panty-dropper.

--

This topic's getting into more than a little gross territory now, with such gems as 'but he loves her', 'she knew what to say to get him to hit her' (read: she hated his guts and tried to kill herself and him, making her more of a hostage than a wife, she clearly wanted out) and 'she sacrificed his baby' (read: she magically aborted the baby of her abuser because she hated him so much she literally could not bring his child into the world).

STAY. CLASSY.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
1: The only reason Triss, Yennifer, Keira, and all the other Sorceresses look like bikini models is because they use magic to make themselves gorgeous. They're actually quite hideous and deformed without it, owing heavily to their magical natures (not to mention they're about a century old).

2: With the exception of the Sorceresses, I never really noticed any women particularly fawning over Geralt (this aspect is massively improved from the previous 2 games), except for hookers, and...they're hookers. Witchers and Sorceresses tend to wind up together due to how much they have in common (both sterile, both extremely long-lived, both understand what it's like to be distrusted by society at large, both magically attuned).

3: Most of the other male characters are ugly because they are dirt poor peasants living in a very shitty world. Most of them probably haven't had a warm bath in their lives.

4: Everyone has their opinion, but I loved the Bloody Baron questline. Like many have said, it could have gone down the simple path of making the Baron a completely unapologetic jerk who beats his wife, but the game instead made it much more complicated than all of that, and went for way more shades of grey than anything else.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
My take is that being sexist isn't the same as depicting sexism. I haven't played any of the games. But when I do, I'll take notes of where the game is sexist, and where the developers show that they are making an adult game, and that they trust the audience to make their own opinion and say "that was wrong!" by themselves.