So, Google Image is racist, apparently.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I just learned this is a thing and it's the funniest thing ever. It turns out that when you google image search "american inventors" in English, everyone who shows up is mostly unknown minority/African American inventors (also the kid who made a clock that got mistaken for a bomb, who did not actually invent the clock), meanwhile if you type "American inventors" in a non-English language, almost everyone who shows is white and actually a big inventor.

So, yeah, you can test this for yourself, and if you don't know how to type this in any other language here's the Greek term for it: αμερικανοι εφευρετες

Thoughts? Opinions? This is just hilariously bizarre to me lol.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
It is weird. What's even weirder is that over half the first page are hits that react to this fact, not actual pages about American inventors. Anyone know the deal?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I thought I might as well learn something today and clicked on George Washington Carver. Who the hell was this guy? Did he actually invent anything? The whole Wikipedia article seems to be about all the things people popularly think he did but didn't actually do. How do you go from coining a couple of food recipes to being christened "the black Da Vinci"?

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
African American inventors aren't exactly newsworthy here in Finland. The first two hits go to the inventor of the red party cup who passed away last December.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
inu-kun said:
It's apperantly connected to the fact that the Google algorithm for some obscure reason adds "african" before "american inventors". At least that's what I hope it does rather than someone actually specifically makes the algorithm do that.
It would make sense. I just typed in US inventors and got a more conventional list of inventors that lived in the US.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Goolaging "European People History" used to produce the following result:

These days, it mostly produces blog posts about the fact it originally did that.

It's... Unusual.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Gethsemani said:
It is weird. What's even weirder is that over half the first page are hits that react to this fact, not actual pages about American inventors. Anyone know the deal?
Yup. First 5 results, in order:

1. http://www.unz.com - 'Alternative Media,' bitching because Oppenheimer didn't make the cut and dragging Bing into it (For some reason, it never occurs to the fellow that maybe the fact two search engines spit out the same 'slant' may be cause to consider that maybe its an algorithm thing, not a race thing)
2. Wikipedia
3. www.vdare.com - 'Anti-Cultural-Marxist' Money Begging Page
4. http://www.american-inventor.com/
5. Trump's Reddit, which I trust I don't have to describe to anybody

What fun.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
There are apparently a lot of similar search terms from what I've heard/read.

White couple is another.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Dreiko said:
Thoughts? Opinions? This is just hilariously bizarre to me lol.
As a certain unnameable lady once said: Everything is sexist, everything is racist, everything is homophobic and you have to point it *all* out!

More seriously, as opposed to this which is almost certainly just an algorithmic quirk (like Google image matching AI believing that dumbbells have arms attached to them) apparently Portland has decided to stop maintaining a list of people with gang affiliations for reasons that can be summed up as the list being racist.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Given the state of Google as a company right now, I'd suspect it's some disgruntled employee who did this to intentionally make Google look as bad on the outside as it is on the inside. Only logical explanation I can think for this.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
It might have to do with the fact that "American Inventors" will lead to some African American Inventors, but "African American Inventors" will only hit African American Inventors. So a African Americans will hit twice in a partial string search. Foreigners only care about the really big international inventions so the algorithm won't sweat the local stuff.

Nothing to see here, just a quick of culture.

Now, time to put on my Donald Trump riding a T-Rex wife beater and go drink 40s in the park.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
This certainly isn't news to me. If I was more forgiving, I'd chalk it up to an algorithm bug, but given that Google has actually manipulated search results to appease certain groups already, can't say I'd believe anything they might tell me. DuckDuckGo FTW.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Gennadios said:
It might have to do with the fact that "American Inventors" will lead to some African American Inventors, but "African American Inventors" will only hit African American Inventors. So a African Americans will hit twice in a partial string search. Foreigners only care about the really big international inventions so the algorithm won't sweat the local stuff.

Nothing to see here, just a quick of culture.

Now, time to put on my Donald Trump riding a T-Rex wife beater and go drink 40s in the park.
That's the thing though, wouldn't the order of significance of an inventor be proportionally tied to how big an effect they had on the entire world, as opposed to where they were from or what their outward appearance was etc., hence necessitating all search results be roughly the same? Like, I get if you search in French and get American scientists of French descent to be maybe slightly higher on the list than they would be if you searched in English because presumably Frenchmen care about other Frenchmen marginally more by enough of a margin to make that logical but it shouldn't be THIS grave a disparity.

This is so absurdly anti-intellectual that I can't seriously contemplate it without reveling in its absurdity and ceasing to do so almost instantaneously.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Dreiko said:
Gennadios said:
That's the thing though, wouldn't the order of significance of an inventor be proportionally tied to how big an effect they had on the entire world, as opposed to where they were from or what their outward appearance was etc., hence necessitating all search results be roughly the same? Like, I get if you search in French and get American scientists of French descent to be maybe slightly higher on the list than they would be if you searched in English because presumably Frenchmen care about other Frenchmen marginally more by enough of a margin to make that logical but it shouldn't be THIS grave a disparity.

This is so absurdly anti-intellectual that I can't seriously contemplate it without reveling in its absurdity and ceasing to do so almost instantaneously.
The Google algorithm isn't that smart, it's just a partial string search. Their claim to fame is just to make it really efficient. The thing is that current American culture is really identitarian, so searching american-*anything* will produce african-american, or asian-american prefixes. White Americans are more likely to just refer to themselves as the thing that they are, Inventors in this case.

TL:DR, don't blame the algorithm, blame the blogs and websites fixated on this shit that the algorithm finds.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
OR... maybe the image search is notoriously inaccurate and has always been.
Gibbagobba said:
DuckDuckGo FTW.
And when I tried it in Croatian, I got a bunch of pictures of Tesla.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Major_Tom said:
Gibbagobba said:
DuckDuckGo FTW.
People don't claim to use DuckDuckGo because it's a better engine, or to avoid bias. They do it to show their fighting the 'Leftist Agenda' and to snub their noses at 'SJWs.'