So here's an idea for a co-op game

Apr 25, 2009
I had this idea a while ago, and I wanted to share it with you guys. I was thinking about game mechanics and co-operative play, and I came up with this: How about a game, perhaps a shooter, based around two players surviving against waves of enemies...

BUT WAIT! The enemies spawn with one of the two players as a target. Both players can only see and kill the enemies that are going for the OTHER player. Almost like a game based around a twist of perception. It would really put your life in the other player's hands and encourage ACTUAL co-operation and effective communication between the two players. It wouldn't be like a lot of co-op games where one player will run ahead and eat all the medpacks.

To prevent griefing, YOUR healthbar would be based off the damage the OTHER player receives, but if one of you dies it's game over for both.

Would you play a game with this kind of concept in mind? Do you think it would work or would it be a nightmare to play? Any ideas to further the concept?

Just a little thought experiment :)

Dec 14, 2009
That actually sounds like a really cool idea...

I don't think I'd make the 'target' enemies completely invisible though. Maybe some kind of air shimmer or otherwise some kind of indication where the enemy is, just so it's not a clusterfuck for coop players without mics.

But yeah, a really cool idea, especially the swapped healthbars.

Apr 25, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

I don't think I'd make the 'target' enemies completely invisible though. Maybe some kind of air shimmer or otherwise some kind of indication where the enemy is, just so it's not a clusterfuck for coop players without mics.

Thanks buddy :) yeah, it would be a game pretty much based around vocal communication, either through mics or yelling at your buddy next to you on the couch. Even just an indication that enemies are nearby or that you're in danger would eliminate SOME of the clusterfucking.

I was thinking it could be possible with more than two players. Every player has another they have to 'babysit', to make a messed up love/death triangle and forcing all the players to stay together. Could get VERY clusterfucky though.

Dec 14, 2009
Digi7 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Thanks buddy :) yeah, it would be a game pretty much based around vocal communication, either through mics or yelling at your buddy next to you on the couch. Even just an indication that enemies are nearby or that you're in danger would eliminate SOME of the clusterfucking.

I was thinking it could be possible with more than two players. Every player has another they have to 'babysit', to make a messed up love/death triangle and forcing all the players to stay together. Could get VERY clusterfucky though.
When I think of a clusterfuck, I think of this.

Could potentially be a very fun game :D

Dec 14, 2009
Politeia said:
Unsolicited ideas on the internet? That are actually good?! QUICK! I need a couple of people who aren't Digi7 and really good at programming to follow me to the patent office!
I saw it first!

*Slams Daystar stamp on thread*

Y'all posting on a thread about my amazing idea.

Do not steal.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It is very interesting but rather constrained, that one trick pony wouldn't have enough steam for a full game but for a neat little mod that would be quite the trick.

And who knows after that someone might come up an extended plan for a proper game.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Wow, I was preparing to bash the OP for a typically amateur game idea on teh netz, but I'm fairly intrigued. I wouldn't base an entire game around it, but it would make for an interesting lobby-based online game match.

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
Why not make it a horror survival game where the 2 players are really the same person suffering from paranoid schizophrenia thus the shared life bar.

Apr 25, 2009
Nightmonger said:
Why not make it a horror survival game where the 2 players are really the same person suffering from paranoid schizophrenia thus the shared life bar.
I was thinking abstract survival horror would be the best kind of context for the gameplay, this would work.
Daystar Clarion said:
Politeia said:
Unsolicited ideas on the internet? That are actually good?! QUICK! I need a couple of people who aren't Digi7 and really good at programming to follow me to the patent office!
I saw it first!

*Slams Daystar stamp on thread*

Y'all posting on a thread about my amazing idea.

Do not steal.
Sir! You are impeding on my brain child! :mad:

*slaps you across the face with a glove*

Pistols at dawn, sir!

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Well, now... I like this idea! This is way better than putting Capture the Flag in Super Smash Bros. or Frogger! I'd actually like to try this! It's definately a good start.

Two players on the brink of differing planes of existence, it seems. What can I say? It's... it's...

Captcha: "It's Super Delicious"!

Ehh, wasn't going to say that, but, oh, well...

fatmrbunko

Jan 24, 2011
it's never really a good idead to post your good ideas online as they will probably get stolen, instead of telling random people about it...do something about actually making it, thats what the deservadly (that doesn't sound like a real word, probably isn't) rich do.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
fatmrbunko said:
it's never really a good idead to post your good ideas online as they will probably get stolen, instead of telling random people about it...do something about actually making it, thats what the deservadly (that doesn't sound like a real word, probably isn't) rich do.
I believe he doesn't have the capability and thus throwing the idea out for those that can to give it a try. Just a guess :)

scarecrow350

Apr 4, 2010
For some reason when I read this idea the first image I got was players stuffing healing items into each others mouths to keep themselves alive
This did remind me a lot of killer 7 however, both the invisible enemies and the whole idea of the character being schizophrenic
I think a way this might work would be to adapt the idea of Roonie's character in the channel 4 show misfits (essentially he has the power to split into 2 people, his optimistic and pessimistic halves) so the protagonist has to work with his or herself to survive, solving puzzles that require two people etc.
this could also apply to drop in co-op, if another player joins then another person could split from the protagonist
I also reckon this is a goldmine for funny inter-character dialogue
all ideas free of charge

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
I like the idea. I think it would create a better sense of co-operation if your health bar was based on your health though.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Interesting concept. Now if anyone uses this idea, you can claim bragging rights to being the mastermind that thought of it first.

It's written here, in the permanent ink of the internet!

Apr 25, 2009
RicoADF said:
fatmrbunko said:
I believe he doesn't have the capability and thus throwing the idea out for those that can to give it a try. Just a guess :)
Oh I do, I design games all the time and have fairly good technical and conceptual skill :) it's just that none of them are finished...

The catch is I can only create single player games and don't have the time to learn networking and multiplayer systems, so I figure I may as well post this as a little thought experiment for people to discuss, just for fun.

But it's still my idea, and if you steal it I'll cap a mang.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
So, the enemies don't attack your health directly, they tear out sections of your soul, and you can only interact with the ones attacking your partner? (I'm thinking on the survival horror angle that was brought up earlier in thread.)

I'd fucking buy that.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Digi7 said:
RicoADF said:
fatmrbunko said:
Oh I do, I design games all the time and have fairly good technical and conceptual skill :) it's just that none of them are finished...

The catch is I can only create single player games and don't have the time to learn networking and multiplayer systems, so I figure I may as well post this as a little thought experiment for people to discuss, just for fun.

But it's still my idea, and if you steal it I'll cap a mang.
Then I suggest you hurry up and make it before someone does steal it, as ideas can't be copyrighted or protected, especially when given out on a public forum.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
SanAndreasSmoke said:
Interesting concept. Now if anyone uses this idea, you can claim bragging rights to being the mastermind that thought of it first.

It's written here, in the permanent ink of the internet!
Screw that, just sue them for royalties and use this post as proof/date stamp of the idea.