So, hipsters.

Arkham

Esoteric Cultist
Jan 22, 2009
From what I've gathered people who fit the description of hipster are not aware of it or refute it. A hipster is, to the best of my understanding, someone who does something for the sake of being 'hip' or 'cool' and sticking out because of it.

The only person I've met who used the term positively used it as a self description and made it seem sound like a synonym for 'socially acceptable nerd'. Traits or interests such as playing older or 'retro' video games; taking interest in obscure books, film, and music; and an outlandish sense of fashion may all be part of it but it's difficult to define exactly what it means to be a hipster beyond the desire for artificial coolness. Suffice it to say that not everyone who is eccentric is making a conscious effort to stand out.

The definition seems to vary according to the primary medium of art or entertainment the definer indulges in.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Azure-Supernova said:

Really? Don't see any of these things walking around? Usually self proclaimed visionaries or alternate. I see them everywhere, usually around universities and colleges.
That's kinda confusing me, because I still don't get the notion of having a certain outfit define your views on mainstream media.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Hipsters are the new Emo. Sure, they theoretically exist in droves, and there are examples of them out there, but most people who get labeled as hipsters are just people who happen to have some choices of interest, style, and appearance that other people may want to insult because of how much they don't like it.

Basically normal person + enjoyment of one indie band that an onlooker happens to not be able to stand = hipster.

Case in point: A friend of mine saw a car parked outside of a house that had a Velociraptor hood ornament. Since then, he only refers to everyone who ever goes into that house as, "Hipster douchbags"

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
PoisonUnagi said:
Azure-Supernova said:

Really? Don't see any of these things walking around? Usually self proclaimed visionaries or alternate. I see them everywhere, usually around universities and colleges.
That's kinda confusing me, because I still don't get the notion of having a certain outfit define your views on mainstream media.
I was kind of half serious. I was just pointing out that this how your average hipster will dress, often through believing the same sterotype I posted. This outfit alone doesn't exactly define someone as a hipster, you're just using this as a rough outline to find suspected hipsters.

Stilkon

Feb 19, 2011
I saw one once at work. He was a 20-something year old guy with a wild, tangled beard wearing a t-shirt with Charlie Brown and a recycle symbol on it. A truly beautiful specimen.

Also somewhat related:

Oct 1, 2009
PoisonUnagi said:
Azure-Supernova said:

What about a sweater that says "Hitler Rules?"

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Hipsters are real...I am one. I did not want to or try to...but I am. I try not to be...but people are stupid, and most things popular are crap...or atleast not as good. Regardless if you agree with me or not though, do know I genuinly feel this way. But it sometimes goes against hipster stuff. I actually like MW2.

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
I lived in and around Toronto my whole life until last year. If you still don't know what a hipster is or believe that they exist, just go walk down the streets especially near any of the Universities/OCAD...ESPECIALLY OCAD, and you'll understand. Toronto has got to be the Hipster capital of the world.

From the Scott Pilgrim is Hipster Garbage thread... I can definitely see why people could think that. Its the same reason why I love Scott Pilgrim so much... Its a totally accurate depiction of a poor 23 year old living in Toronto.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Gosh Darn Loiterers! They make me so mad!

OT: I have no Idea what a hipster is and assume it's an American term. I can't think of anybody I know who'd label themselves or anyone else a hipster.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
There are certainly hipsters, the problem is people throw around the label far more than they should. There are not as many hipsters as most would have you believe, as you said yourself: you've never seen one. The thing is they tend to hang out in specific places, and do specific things that follow budding trends. And as soon as the trend is bigger, they leave and find something else. Also, it has a lot more to do with music than most media, so a lot of people tend not to give a fuck.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I believe I've seen them from a distance, but I don't stop or talk to people I don't have to in crowded places... and hipsters seem to generally be "townie" types. I usually can't even stand "normal" townies...

Mavinchious Maximus

Apr 13, 2011
The reason you haven't seen that many is because I have been kidnapping those freaks of nature and keeping them in my basement. Some people call me the hipsterminator. my add is in the yellow pages if you need my help getting rid of these vermin!

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
PoisonUnagi said:
This has been bugging me for quite some time. All of us know full well of how much the general populace is starting to hate hipsters, but what I find strange is that I've never actually met or heard of a single hipster amongst the myriads of people I encounter on a daily basis... I'm starting to doubt if they even exist. That probably sounds stupid, but from my point of view I'm not seeing any.

So.... yeah. Can anyone shine some light on me here? :s
All you need to know about hipsters is contained within this one UrbanDictionary definition. Not only about Hipsters themselves, but why people hate them:

Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities. Consequently many hipsters tend to have jobs in the music, art, and fashion industries. It is a myth that most hipsters are unemployed and live off of their parent's trust funds.

Hipsters shun mainstream societal conventions that apply to dating preferences and traditional "rules" of physical attraction. It is part of the hipster central dogma not to be influenced by mainsream advertising and media, which tends to only promote ethnocentric ideals of beauty. The concepts of androgyny and feminism have influenced hipster culture, where hipster men are often as thin as the women they date. The muscular and athletic all-American male ideal is not seen as attractive by confident and culturally-empowered hipster women who instead view them as symbols of male oppression, sexism, and misogyny. Likewise, culturally-vapid sorority-type girls with fake blond hair, overly tanned skin, and "Britney Spears tube-tops" are not seen as attractive by cultured hipster males who instead see them as symbols of female insecurity, low self-esteem, and lack of cultural intelligence and independent thinking. Hipsters are also very racially open-minded, and the greatest number of interracial couples in any urban environment are typically found within the hipster subculture.

Although hipsters are technically conformists within their own subculture, in comparison to the much larger mainstream mass, they are pioneers and leaders of the latest cultural trends and ideals. For example, the surge of jeans made to look old and worn (i.e. "distressed"), that have become prevalent at stores such as The Gap, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister, were originally paraded by hipsters who shopped in thrift stores years before such clothing items were mass produced and sold to the mainstream consumer. The true irony here is that many of the detractors of hipster culture are in fact unknowingly following a path that hipsters have carved out years before them. This phenomena also applies to music as well, as many bands have become successful and known to mainstream audiences only because hipsters first found and listened to them as early-adopters of new culture. Once certain concepts of fashion and music have reached mainstream audiences, hipsters move on to something new and improved.

Because of the rise of various online photo-blog and social networking sites, insights into urban hipster culture is reaching sheltered suburban audiences at an exponential rate. Cultural "norms" have been deconstructed by hipster culture as a whole. Hipsterism is often dismissed as just an image thing by some, but the culture as a whole is effecting changes in society, leading to feelings of insecurity and resentment in people who are no longer a part of the cultural ruling class. For example, a lot of anti-hipster sentiment evidently comes from culturally-clueless suburban frat boy types who feel that the more sensitive, intelligent, and culturally aware hipster ideal threatens their insecure sense of masculinity. Anti-hipster sentiment often comes from people who simply can't keep up with social change and are envious of those who can.
A conversation outside a hipster bar in downtown NYC:

Frat Boy #1: Dude, are you having any luck picking up chicks in there?

Frat Boy #2: Man...I haven't experienced anything like this before. These chicks are totally rejecting me and going for all these hipster guys in tight pants and shaggy hair instead.

Frat Boy #1: Maybe we should head back up to that bar in Murry Hill where you hooked up with that drunk b*tch from Alpha Sigma Phi last week?

Frat Boy #2: Yeah...I don't think we have what it takes to compete with these guys in here. These hipster chicks won't even give us the time of the day!

Yes, this is how Hipsters really view themselves. Sad, I know.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Irridium said:
Pfft, please. Being hipster is so mainstream. That's why I'm mainstream, it's the cool thing to do since everyone's a hipster now.
Hipsterception!
OT: My school is pretty much full of 'em. Well, internet hipsters. Like, just finding out about memes, thinking that they're "so 1337".

The Horse

Mar 19, 2010
Living in a college town, I see Hipsters all the time. We actually have a game where whenever we go downtown, the person who says "Fucking hipsters"(when they see one)the most wins.

Kalabrikan

Jun 10, 2010
PoisonUnagi said:
This has been bugging me for quite some time. All of us know full well of how much the general populace is starting to hate hipsters, but what I find strange is that I've never actually met or heard of a single hipster amongst the myriads of people I encounter on a daily basis... I'm starting to doubt if they even exist. That probably sounds stupid, but from my point of view I'm not seeing any.

So.... yeah. Can anyone shine some light on me here? :s
Pure stereotypes cannot exist. All liberals aren't welfare mommies, just as all conservatives aren't God-toting libertarians. A great deal of "hipsters" are simply people who are into some form of alternative culture, be it through indie music (Pitchfork, arguably Scaruffi), "arthouse" movies (Criterion) or books that cater to those types of niche cultures.

People like hipsters tend to live in large cities or their nearby suburbs, so if you live in a rural town or one of the many states without a New York or Boston, you're less likely to find them. College campuses tend to be full of them, but it largely depends on the school.