So, How About Those Drugs?

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
So I've been sick for the past two days, forcing me to pretty much ignore the all the stress in my life, which, actually is probably something I needed. Anyway, I've been reflecting on how much I enjoy having good friends, and I recently found out one of my old friends who I used to date, and was vehement about not doing drugs, now smokes pot regularly. "I'm just doing it because it's relaxing."

It's an excuse I've heard only one too many times. Now, I'm not here to make the argument whether or not pot is addictive/bad for you/whatever. I know the facts, I know that it isn't and I know it's not necessarily going to ruin your life. But on the other hand, I know other people who've gone down that similar path just "trying" it once, and now they're complete burnouts, and I hardly recognize the person they used to be anymore.

I've been pretty adamant about not doing drugs my entire 17 years of existence, because I don't think downside is worth the up, and I'm enjoying my life enough where I don't need it to be happy. I'm content with just...living, even if it is a bit "boring" sometimes.

I think what bothers me the most about it, is how someone I thought I knew, completely compromised one of their values. And I don't know why, but when I find out someone is using drugs, my respect for them does diminish somewhat. I know it's wrong to judge people, but I can't remake how I feel about the whole damn thing.

TLDR:
So, even though this thread has probably been made before, I'm wondering what your guys' opinions are on drugs, I'm curious to hear other people's views on it. Maybe it can help me expand my way of viewing the subject.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
I personally have no issues with drugs... That being said I would advise you to stay your course. I have done too many drugs in my life and a few years back almost got in some serious trouble. I dropped the habit quickly, and moved away from my drug using friends. I do miss it from time to time, and I can't say that it was a bad life experience by a long shot, however I can honestly say my life has improved since.

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
I find drugs pointless. Why waste all that time and money for a brief period of enjoyment? It just seems to me like there are far better things to do with your time and money. Why not get a fun video game or a movie or something that you can always play/watch, instead of drugs which you'll use up immediately.

flare09

Aug 6, 2008
Theron Julius said:
I find drugs pointless. Why waste all that time and money for a brief period of enjoyment? It just seems to me like there are far better things to do with your time and money. Why not get a fun video game or a movie or something that you can always play/watch, instead of drugs which you'll use up immediately.
So I take it you only buy the essentials for food don't you? You only buy bread, milk, eggs, apples, and corn right? Since you only use them up it's pointless to buy anything else by your logic.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Green drugs are mostly fine, if you know what you're doing, but those pharmaceutical things are bullshit. There is no moral dilemma here, because the laws are inherently faulty, both in origins, intent and execution, and thus not worthy of being followed. If you are smart about your habits, there really are no fundamental downsides. Drugs get two thumbs up!

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
My method of relaxation, a good video game or hanging out with friends.

My method of having a good time, a drink or two along with good company at a nice bar/pub OR a movie night with friends.

My method of dealing with stress, talking to friends and knowing they can support me.

So i have the 3 major bases for taking drugs covered, no addiction to anything and money in my pocket that WOULD have gone to a scummy dealer somewhere, win i think.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
I have one or two friends that are as you call them 'burnouts' one of them is particularly bad and has tried and failed several times to go to college, got laid off etc. He's just hanging around at home now and he's 23 living off the dole which he uses to buy more drugs sad story. I saw him a couple of weeks ago when I was walking home from college and he looks like shit if I'm honest, getting laid off due and sitting around smoking weed all day (not everyday mind) isnt really doing much for his self esteem. He used to be one of the funniest people I knew but when I saw him he just didnt seem to be all there. Not a shadow of his former self but he definatly wasnt all there.

Another friend from my childhood became a serious user of class A. I've seen him a few times one of the last was when he was selling drugs at night when I was walking home. Havent heard much but I think he's trying to kick his habbit and get on and do something with himself, I've heard him say that numerous times before. I just hope he's able to do it before he ends up in prison or dead.

A lot of my friends do smoke weed when they're drinking. Sit around smoke a joint or 2 but it doesnt seem to have had much effect on them apart from making them smoke slightly more everytime they do go smoking it. I wouldnt be to worried about them, smart enough guys who can take care of themselves.

Personally I reckon people don't do drugs for no reason, you hear stories of people taking acid/mushrooms/mdma/cocaine and they say its awesome when it works out well. I've never even tried any of them not even weed/pot whatever, I already drink and smoke and I dont want to add to my list of things that I have to have to enjoy a night out. I've a pretty addictive personality so I reckon its for the best if I just stay away from them.

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
flare09 said:
Theron Julius said:
So I take it you only buy the essentials for food don't you? You only buy bread, milk, eggs, apples, and corn right? Since you only use them up it's pointless to buy anything else by your logic.
Ah, you found a nice hole in my logic. Well, allow me to patch this up to the best of my abilities. Food, I think, gives us a long term benefit unlike drugs which are strictly short term. Healthy, good food leads to many more benefits than a brief high. From good, healthy food you'll lead a healthy life, which I believe makes up for the minor dent in your budget. With a drug you'll end up with nothing but a bit less money in your pocket afterward.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Hey, OP, I hate to say it, but those burnouts would probably have burnt out without the drugs. Sure the drugs are intrinsic to the "scene" or whatever, but it's a full on attitude that makes your a burnout, not a sudden change caused by marijuana.

OT: My thoughts on drugs are pretty simple.

Drugs made in a factory (read: public toilet) out of random artificial chemicals=bad.
Drugs that grow naturally=potentially poisonous, but not so bad

We have pubs and bars, it's time we had cafes and suchlike for the smokers. I know they do in some parts of the Netherlands, and good for them. I say tax it, and legalise it. It brings more money into the country and would have less of an impact in terms of "burning out" people. Don't believe me? Look at the people who randomly, sensibly, have a drink in a restaurant or bar. Think of the people who drink at home. Who is more likely to be the alcoholic? People are addicts while it's illegal, so nothing will change per se, but I can only see the good outweighing the bad. That, and it keeps money out of the hands of criminals, and into the hands of the criminals we elected XD

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Drugs have been around for thousands of years, my man. They don't stay relevant in society for no apparent reason. Drugs are just another tool for humanity. Some of the most prolific people on the planet have used drugs - Jimi Hendrix, Bill Hicks, Keith Richards, John Lennon, George Carlin, Layne Staley, Kurt Cobain, Dave Grohl. Yet, we have demonized the tools we used, rather than criticize the user. Drugs are potentially dangerous when overused or abused, but then the same could be said of any tool we have ever used. George said it best, I think, about drugs and its uses...

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
MatsVS said:
Green drugs are mostly fine, if you know what you're doing, but those pharmaceutical things are bullshit. There is no moral dilemma here, because the laws are inherently faulty, both in origins, intent and execution, and thus not worthy of being followed. If you are smart about your habits, there really are no fundamental downsides. Drugs get two thumbs up!
See, that is something I find curious, a lot of drug liberals claim that "natural" drugs are all fine and well, whereas "chemical" drugs are the devil? Why is this? Why would Cannabis be better than LSD?

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
Pot's not a huge deal (usually); I've got an engineer friend who uses pot and shrooms and manages to hold down a job, a fiance, and interns with the DoD. It really just depends on the person.

Stay away from the hard shit though, unless you want to meet the Zookeeper.

djfranza

Jun 18, 2010
I felt exactly like you did when I was 17. And my best friend had started hitting the pot pretty hard, after being opposed to it previously. He still does it today, 8 years later, and honestly, I like him better when he's high. Since then, I've picked up some social drinking, and I will smoke pot with a friend of mine on some very rare occasions.
My advice is: Don't condemn or approve of anything until you give it a fair shake. I don't recommend this for hard drugs, of course, but pot, alcohol, and maybe some of the more common pharmaceuticals...if given the opportunity, try it once. Then afterwards you can give it the thumbs down if you want. Becoming a burnout is not the result of the drug, but rather the person using it losing their control.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
Arachon said:
MatsVS said:
See, that is something I find curious, a lot of drug liberals claim that "natural" drugs are all fine and well, whereas "chemical" drugs are the devil? Why is this? Why would Cannabis be better than LSD?
They aren't, that's a bullshit excuse. "It's from the eaaaarth man" Yeah? SO IS HEROIN"
They SHOULD be judged on their actual affects.
Pot? Harmless.
LSD? Harmless.
Methamphetamine and heroin? Will fuck your soul.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
Pills Here!!

I don't do drugs at all. Anytime that I've been stoned is at a concert, and it was all secondhand. I don't believe that you need drugs to enhance music and I would much rather try to avoid drugs altogether.

Ohhi

Nov 13, 2009
My opinion "TTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY'RRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEE GREAT" I do them for fun mostly X though because it's the only way I can have sex now word of advice never have sex on X it ruins the whole experience for you trust me.