So how bad are Mass Effect 1's driving segments?

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
Burst6 said:
It wasnt really that bad. The problem is that the vehicle felt a bit too light. A small bump can send you flying and you can climb up 85 degree inclines.
PurePareidolia said:
I had no problems with it - the Mako was apparently filled with helium, but it was very difficult to overturn, and had a great deal of traction.
The Mako was very light due to having a small mass effect core. The Codex entry for it told me that.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I found it pretty athmospheric and exciting. A lot better than probing.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Bad? Who called driving the Maeko around on a planet bad? It was fucking awesome. It was easy to handle and fun to use. I hope its back in ME3.

Carboncrown

Oct 17, 2009
It controlled fine on the PC imo, and you can even almost justify the silly physics, with the fact that it uses element zero.

I actually kinda enjoyed climbing the mountains(then again, I also did that by jumpwanking in WoW) until it gets repetitive but those are just side quests.

The only real problem I had, was with the very hardest difficulty, when it gets boring and repetitive as shit when the tank-geth really don't want to die and you actually have to dodge.

Also, Mass Effect is fucking awesome.

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
E-Penguin said:
Burst6 said:
It wasnt really that bad. The problem is that the vehicle felt a bit too light. A small bump can send you flying and you can climb up 85 degree inclines.
PurePareidolia said:
I had no problems with it - the Mako was apparently filled with helium, but it was very difficult to overturn, and had a great deal of traction.
The Mako was very light due to having a small mass effect core. The Codex entry for it told me that.
Yeah, I know, but I think it'd have made more sense for the ME core to be used for jumping and it just having normal physics otherwise.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
The driving isn't bad. People are just bad at it. You can't drive the mako like a tank and rush right into the thick of things. You have to skirt around the edge of battle sniping dudes off. After you get used to the movement controls, you should do just fine if you do as I said and don't rush straight into the thick of combat.

Purplecoyote

Feb 10, 2010
I played it on the pc and it can be a little strange when you drive it for the first time but it's a matter of getting used to it. Before you know it you'll be diving of mountains while doing many Kool-Aid Man impressions.
Don't be afraid to scale very bumpy hills as practice, it's almost impossible to get stuck. Also the guns can zoom in quite far, that's handy.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
the Mako is a MASSIVELY powerful tool, and you should at least TRY to like it. yeah we all know the handlings horrible, but it makes up for that in pure awesome! i mean, what other vehicle can climb a 70-degree-incline??? xD

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
Wayneguard said:
The driving isn't bad. People are just bad at it. You can't drive the mako like a tank and rush right into the thick of things. You have to skirt around the edge of battle sniping dudes off. After you get used to the movement controls, you should do just fine if you do as I said and don't rush straight into the thick of combat.
Your discussing tactics, and yes superior tactics will win you the day in the vehicle segments. However even though I was not "bad at it" the mako was annoying as hell. The controls were flat out buggy, at times it would get muddled as to how to re-orient the mako. Not much of an issue on the main story missions but planet exploration required extreme patience to crawl your way at 1 inch a minute up a cliff and if you needed to turn during that climb you may well just lose all traction and slide down to the bottom. The idea of surface exploration of planets is great and the first couple times you do it, it adds a lot of immersion to the game, makes the planet hoping feel more real, than the loading screens of ME2. But the vehicles physics just feel wrong, it's too light bounces all over the place, inexplicably is a 6 wheel vehicle with 2 wheel steering. While i would have really enjoyed these sections returning in ME2 with improved physics and controls, I'd rather spend 3 hours planet scanning than the 10 it took to run the mako to the same bunker 15 times on a different color hell of 130 degree inclines. My thumbs, dear lord my thumbs.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
It's pretty lackluster (though some people like it), but they're not so frequent (especially if you discount the side quests) that they should impact your decision to buy the game, even if you don't like them.

stueymon

Aug 29, 2009
It's pretty easy to control the Mako in ME1.

Unless you're me and you forget to try all of the buttons, spending ages trying to kill a giant worm critter with the piddly machine and run away by driving not realising the car has very useful rockets.

destiny_1989

Jun 25, 2011
I see some people say that the console version of the Mako driving is not so fun. I have the PC version myself so I can only say that they're not so bad. After I watched Yathzee's review one more time before getting the game I really dreaded getting to the vehicle parts but it's not that bad. It takes a little getting used to, the Mako does feel very light as someone already said, but, if you find yourself rotating uncontrollably in mid air or going in a completely different direction than the one you want to go because you hit a small bump, all you have to do is take your finger off the accelerate button and it stops.

As far as the boring parts go, this usually happens when you're in a wide, flat field but it doesn't usually take too long until a giant Thresher Maw bursts out of the ground trying to gobble you up. Admittedly, I didn't explore the planets much besides going for what's already marked on your map. There was only one time I got really frustrated but that was because I just couldn't find a debris field no matter what route I took.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
flaviok79 said:
I agree with you 100%. I even think Bioware tried to give the driving sessions an Alien feel, with low gravity and such. What really screw things up are the mountain ranges. But vehicle physics have always been Bioware's weakness, ever since Kotor and those swoop bikes. They really should hire someone from Gothan Racing or whatever.
I loved Swoop racing though. That was one of the best parts of KOTOR.

CRRPGMykael

Mar 6, 2011
lucky_sharm said:
I'm thinking about giving Mass Effect a try and the only thing that worries me is all of those horror stories about how bad the driving is. Is it something that you do a lot of during the game?
"Horror Stories"= Watched a Zero Punctuation episode about it and immedialty decided to judge it because Yahtzee talks about it like it's some kind of hobo who broke into his house and stole his hat?Don't worry,pal,I ultimately judge games just by watching Yahtzee review them too ^^