So how do I Monster Hunter?

Psycho11Edge

Mar 17, 2012
With the release of the "NEW" 3DS XL and MH4U coming with it (I have the special MH 3DS pre-purchased), I have to admit I'm actually new to the MH series itself. I've played other monster hunter-esque games on the Vita such as Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice (and Delta) and the port of God Eater Burst, so what can I expect jumping into this game on the 3DS?

Also, any starting tips and tricks would be nice. The reason I ask is because I have people I intend to play with, but can't ask them before the game comes out, so I want to be at least somewhat competent when I join them in the co-op hunts. And yes, there's the single player that will help me learn the game, but I mean things that it might miss or not convey as well (as I've heard several reviews state it does sometimes not convey things well)

BraveSirRobin

Mar 17, 2010
The biggest tip I'd give is to try every weapon in the game at least once. Each one has its own crazy unique properties and idiosyncrasies to get used to. Chances are that, of the 14, you'll find at least one that fits your style. Beyond that I'd definitely recommend watching each new monster carefully to get a feel for it's patterns before just jumping up close and personal. Finally, the most important thing is have some fun! Starting this series can feel a little like being dropped in the ocean and told to just start swimming but if you can get into it you're in for a hell of a ride.

Psycho11Edge

Mar 17, 2012
BraveSirRobin said:
Starting this series can feel a little like being dropped in the ocean and told to just start swimming
The general feeling I get when it comes to MH, but thank you. I intend to have some fun.

And as for trying all the weapons, I had planned to, but a friend of mine made a few specific ones sound interesting to me.

As for watching each new enemy, that's actually kind of helpful since most other games don't require this so much, especially since a lot of their monsters are repeated, so I'll keep this in mind.

BraveSirRobin

Mar 17, 2010
Psycho11Edge said:
As for watching each new enemy, that's actually kind of helpful since most other games don't require this so much, especially since a lot of their monsters are repeated, so I'll keep this in mind.
While you will fight the same monsters more than once, they're basically all giant boss fights with their own unique mechanics. As you go further into the game you'll find most monsters have unique subspecies that appear similar but can fight in drastically different ways.

I would also recommend getting at least some start on the single player before just hopping into multiplayer with a group of friends. It will give you a chance to get a feel for how the game plays before having to deal with other hunters knocking you around. It will also help you get used to the gathering and upgrade mechanics so that you aren't just jumping into whatever the group wants to kill and you can get some idea of what you want/need to progress. Plus it can be kind of disappointing if you kill a monster with a group and feel like you really didn't do a ton.

Monster Hunter is fairly unique in that 80% of your power comes for how well you as a player can handle whats going on so focus on learning the mechanics and you'll figure it out pretty quick.

Psycho11Edge

Mar 17, 2012
BraveSirRobin said:
Psycho11Edge said:
While you will fight the same monsters more than once, they're basically all giant boss fights with their own unique mechanics. As you go further into the game you'll find most monsters have unique subspecies that appear similar but can fight in drastically different ways.

I would also recommend getting at least some start on the single player before just hopping into multiplayer with a group of friends. It will give you a chance to get a feel for how the game plays before having to deal with other hunters knocking you around. It will also help you get used to the gathering and upgrade mechanics so that you aren't just jumping into whatever the group wants to kill and you can get some idea of what you want/need to progress. Plus it can be kind of disappointing if you kill a monster with a group and feel like you really didn't do a ton.

Monster Hunter is fairly unique in that 80% of your power comes for how well you as a player can handle whats going on so focus on learning the mechanics and you'll figure it out pretty quick.
I have a few days before they can even play as they did not pay for immediate delivery like me, but they will be away until then, so I assumed I'd take on the single player, but a lot of avid fans have been repeating that it can miss some things here and there to tell new comers.

As for what I said about duplicate monsters, I meant that, in Soul Sacrifice for example, there are only about 15 original monsters, and then a palette and element swap and bam, it's a new (not really) monster. Jack 'O' Lantern, Gargoyle and Jack Frost are literally the same monster, just with 3 different skins on it.

Still, looking forward to this game. (And Amiibo support on my 3DS for Smash Bros., hehe)

BraveSirRobin

Mar 17, 2010
Psycho11Edge said:
I have a few days before they can even play as they did not pay for immediate delivery like me, but they will be away until then, so I assumed I'd take on the single player, but a lot of avid fans have been repeating that it can miss some things here and there to tell new comers.
It's pretty good on the whole but if there is a specific thing that is confusing you can always look it up. I don't remember having many issues with it when I started with 3U and from what I hear 4U is even better with the single player aspects.

As for what I said about duplicate monsters, I meant that, in Soul Sacrifice for example, there are only about 15 original monsters, and then a palette and element swap and bam, it's a new (not really) monster. Jack 'O' Lantern, Gargoyle and Jack Frost are literally the same monster, just with 3 different skins on it.

Still, looking forward to this game. (And Amiibo support on my 3DS for Smash Bros., hehe)
That's somewhat what subspecies are but for the most part they have additional or altered moves and are generally all around harder. The tend to be a natural evolution of the mechanics of the first one rather than just a palette swap. But given that there are 75 large monsters total in the game and less than half are subspecies there is still some crazy variety.

Psycho11Edge

Mar 17, 2012
BraveSirRobin said:
Psycho11Edge said:
It's pretty good on the whole but if there is a specific thing that is confusing you can always look it up. I don't remember having many issues with it when I started with 3U and from what I hear 4U is even better with the single player aspects.

That's somewhat what subspecies are but for the most part they have additional or altered moves and are generally all around harder. The tend to be a natural evolution of the mechanics of the first one rather than just a palette swap. But given that there are 75 large monsters total in the game and less than half are subspecies there is still some crazy variety.
Well, that's all good to hear then. I can't wait for my "New" 3DS XL (still a dumb name) to get here so I can transfer everything and get to playing. Thanks for the feedback.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Let see-

As Brave already mention, try out all of the weapons to see which you liked and can handle the most and stick to it (for me it's the lance and shield since the shield can block most attack and I liked the stabbing attack from the lance. Unlike the sword and shielf, I can move when the shield is out abliet move slowly. Granted I haven't try the gunlance but I will when I get the game.)

At the start of the game, I suggest you fight that first boss a few times to gather its part to used to make the armor. That armor should be able to protect you further for the next few bosses althought I don't know if they had changed it.

Learned to cook the meat at perfect timing. Last thing you want is wasting the meats you got by ruining it.

Look up online for the armors stats and ability to see which one is best suited to you (some are tied in to your weapon or others).

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Well, if you'd rather not look online for how to beat monsters, the in-game shops sell books that contain unseful info on monsters you can hunt (or at least every previous iteration has, I haven't gotten the new one yet). For instance, the Deviljho info from MH3U says:

The dreaded, nomadic Deviljho have no specific territory of their own. Their muscles swell if provoked, revealing old wounds. Needing to feed constantly due to high body heat, they can hunt nearby animals to extinction.

Which tells you that he gets hungry very quickly so you can lay lots of poisoned/tainted/drugged meats for him to eat. Also, don't be afraid to dodge to end combos (especially with the slower weapons like Great Sword and Hammer) as not dodging may leave you wide open as your character recovers from the last hit.

Also, there are 4 different types of damage; cutting, impact, shot and explosive.
Impact- repeated impact hits to the noggin will temporarily stun a monster. Yellow particle effects will show you if you successfully do impact damage.
Cutting- many monsters' tails can be cut off with cutting weapons, neutering their tail based attacks.
Shot- piercing type ammo/arrows have the most potential damage (for ranged attacks), but you have to angle your shots right, typically you want to shoot things so that the projectile travels from head to tail or from one wing to the other.
Explosive- Does fixed, consistent damage regardless of there the attack lands.

Also, sleeping monsters take double damage from the attack that wakes them, so be sure to bring barrel bombs if youre having a hard time.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I downloaded the MH3U demo recently, with a view to possibly getting 4 when it comes out. I'm not sure whether I just wasn't getting the combat right-- the furry beastie just trampled me. I got in a good few hits, but there were only the two spear attacks, and all I could see to do was to spam them. The monster could run around, but moving into position was an arduous process for my little hunter dude. Eventually, it kicked my ass, with its superior freedom of movement and better range of attacks. There was so little I could actually do.

Am I missing something?

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Silvanus said:
I downloaded the MH3U demo recently, with a view to possibly getting 4 when it comes out. I'm not sure whether I just wasn't getting the combat right-- the furry beastie just trampled me. I got in a good few hits, but there were only the two spear attacks, and all I could see to do was to spam them. The monster could run around, but moving into position was an arduous process for my little hunter dude. Eventually, it kicked my ass, with its superior freedom of movement and better range of attacks. There was so little I could actually do.

Am I missing something?
By "spear" did you mean lance? Lances can attack while blocking so hold R and keep tapping the attack button. Also, you can drop your guard and go for an all out ramming attack by pressing X+A together.

The lance/gunlance are the only weapons that can move while blocking (albeit suuuper slowly) and block the most damage of all the weapons.

One thing though, for some weird reason your stamina wont regenerate while blocking and holding still, but will regenerate while blocking and moving.

Psycho11Edge

Mar 17, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
Let see-

As Brave already mention, try out all of the weapons to see which you liked and can handle the most and stick to it (for me it's the lance and shield since the shield can block most attack and I liked the stabbing attack from the lance. Unlike the sword and shielf, I can move when the shield is out abliet move slowly. Granted I haven't try the gunlance but I will when I get the game.)

At the start of the game, I suggest you fight that first boss a few times to gather its part to used to make the armor. That armor should be able to protect you further for the next few bosses althought I don't know if they had changed it.

Learned to cook the meat at perfect timing. Last thing you want is wasting the meats you got by ruining it.

Look up online for the armors stats and ability to see which one is best suited to you (some are tied in to your weapon or others).
suntt123 said:
Well, if you'd rather not look online for how to beat monsters, the in-game shops sell books that contain unseful info on monsters you can hunt (or at least every previous iteration has, I haven't gotten the new one yet). For instance, the Deviljho info from MH3U says:

The dreaded, nomadic Deviljho have no specific territory of their own. Their muscles swell if provoked, revealing old wounds. Needing to feed constantly due to high body heat, they can hunt nearby animals to extinction.

Which tells you that he gets hungry very quickly so you can lay lots of poisoned/tainted/drugged meats for him to eat. Also, don't be afraid to dodge to end combos (especially with the slower weapons like Great Sword and Hammer) as not dodging may leave you wide open as your character recovers from the last hit.

Also, there are 4 different types of damage; cutting, impact, shot and explosive.
Impact- repeated impact hits to the noggin will temporarily stun a monster. Yellow particle effects will show you if you successfully do impact damage.
Cutting- many monsters' tails can be cut off with cutting weapons, neutering their tail based attacks.
Shot- piercing type ammo/arrows have the most potential damage (for ranged attacks), but you have to angle your shots right, typically you want to shoot things so that the projectile travels from head to tail or from one wing to the other.
Explosive- Does fixed, consistent damage regardless of there the attack lands.

Also, sleeping monsters take double damage from the attack that wakes them, so be sure to bring barrel bombs if youre having a hard time.
Thanks for the advice.

Silvanus said:

Am I missing something?
I forgot I also tried the MH3U demo and failed miserably at it. I hope the new C stick can mitigate my control issues I had with the old 3DS. But otherwise, I was in a similar boat, hence this thread before the new game comes out.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
suntt123 said:
By "spear" did you mean lance? Lances can attack while blocking so hold R and keep tapping the attack button. Also, you can drop your guard and go for an all out ramming attack by pressing X+A together.

The lance/gunlance are the only weapons that can move while blocking (albeit suuuper slowly) and block the most damage of all the weapons.

One thing though, for some weird reason your stamina wont regenerate while blocking and holding still, but will regenerate while blocking and moving.

Lances are often thought of as making monsters way too easy, since you can just shrug off any kind of damage you would normally take.
It must have been the lance, yeah.

I could hide behind block, but then I'm still just whacking him with the same attack (or a slight variation) over and over, whittling away a ginormous health pool. The beastie can still run around the place, prompting me to slooowly waddle back into position to do the same again. It seemed a very uninspired battle.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Silvanus said:
suntt123 said:

Lances are often thought of as making monsters way too easy, since you can just shrug off any kind of damage you would normally take.
It must have been the lance, yeah.

I could hide behind block, but then I'm still just whacking him with the same attack (or a slight variation) over and over, whittling away a ginormous health pool. The beastie can still run around the place, prompting me to slooowly waddle back into position to do the same again. It seemed a very uninspired battle.
\

Lances are often thought of as making monsters way too easy, since you can just shrug off any kind of damage you would normally take. Theyre also kinda boring to use since all you can do is block + poke>poke>poke ad infinitum or do their pathetically short non blocking combo.

Also, I forgot to mention, there is a short ranged block+advance combo that rushes forward a short distance while still blocking and a counter attack that consumes stamina and makes you keep blocking while charging before the thrust, but I forgot what the controls were. The ramming attack is pretty powerful if you can angle it so you get "stuck" on the monster and hit repeated times.

Other than that, yeah lances are bland. GUNLANCES ON THE OTHER HAND!

Limie

Feb 18, 2010
Have you tried the demo? Even on ?expert/experienced? I found the monsters a bit easy but you can experiment with all the weapons and the new "ride a monster" and improved mobility game mechanics. I have a couple of demo codes left that I might be able to dig out if anyone wants one.
I am going to a midnight release so I will have my limited edition console and monster hunter game in 4 1/2 hours.

As for which weapon to go for pick one you like as you will persevere with it. I found sword and shield the easiest to use, however I never use shields and the damage output can be really bad early on in the game. So I tend to use longswords, great swords and the switch axe. I like bows too but I haven't figured out how to make them powerful enough not to spend 50mins trying to kill a yuan kutku. I only ever solo monster hunter as I do not know anyone who plays: YAY new wireless group hunting!!! (I'm sorry I cannot remember the correct term for this).

Tend your farm and get feylne's as soon as possible.

Limie

Feb 18, 2010
Psycho11Edge said:
Limie said:
Have you tried the demo?
Oh shit, there is a demo... how did I miss this? I need to go on the E-shop more.
As far as I know they randomly allocated codes to nintendo club members. I have UK demo codes, I don't think they will work on the US systems. If there are any kind US hunters that have a demo code left you should be able to get the free demo.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Limie said:
Psycho11Edge said:
Limie said:
Have you tried the demo?
Oh shit, there is a demo... how did I miss this? I need to go on the E-shop more.
As far as I know they randomly allocated codes to nintendo club members. I have UK demo codes, I don't think they will work on the US systems. If there are any kind US hunters that have a demo code left you should be able to get the free demo.
Its in the eshop for free now.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Psycho11Edge said:
Ill clarify for you now that most the subspecies monsters either have altered moves or statistics.

Many of them do have altered elements, and its important to note theese since each element also carries a status debuff with it, the severity of which is affected by your armours elemental resistances. Armour with high thunder resistance might work just fine for Zinogre, but that wont help you much against its Stygian subspecies.

Some monsters will have altered stats, such as Black Diablos being a hell of alot faster in rage mode than the normal counterpart, or Gold Rathian having much higher defences than its regular and Pink counterparts.

The ones that arent either element swaps or stat-buffed will usually have something unique going for them, such as the Plum Daimyo Hermitaur being able to spray you with its ranged attacks while on the move, or Brute Tigrex's ability to finish a charge with a roar.

The Squid King

Jan 19, 2014
As other people have stated, try every weapon to see which ones work best for you. You can try all of the weapon types in the demo. The controls for this game can take some getting used to so don't worry if you aren't immediately great with any of the weapons.

One of the most significant elements of a successful hunt is preparation. Always listen to what people say about a monster before you go to hunt it and prepare accordingly. During low rank there will be a chest filled with supplies for you to take at the start of a quest, this includes more specialized items such as antidotes when fighting a poisonous monster, so the game will ease you into it. Because you need to bring your own supplies later on, start gathering resources and bulk producing items such as potions and mega potions as soon as possible, you will go through a lot of these.

Do your best to break as many different body parts of a monster as possible, breaking monster parts earn you items at the end of a quest and can sometimes cause certain attacks to fail or have reduced efficiency. If a monster's tail is cut off, you can harvest it for items. Remember that you only gain the items from breaks once the quest is complete so don't put yourself into too much danger going for breaks unless you really need a specific monster part.

Try not to stress too much about the quest timer, you should not run too low on time early game but if you worry about it while hunting more dangerous monsters, you will likely die.