So how do you feel about Margaret Thatcher's death

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I feel about her death the same way I felt about Bin Laden's death: the departure of a human being who caused countless suffering, but a human being nevertheless. I can't find a reason to celebrate someone losing their life.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Well, given that this is the FIRST time I've ever seen a series Off Topic threads spew as much bile and hate as their identical threads down in R&P I'm feeling wary of a full fledged riot breaking out at the Escapist. o.o

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
Copper Zen said:
Well, given that this is the FIRST time I've ever seen a series Off Topic threads spew as much bile and hate as their identical threads down in R&P I'm feeling wary of a full fledged riot breaking out at the Escapist. o.o
Care to join me at the bottom of the Marianas Trench. Me and my nuclear sub are still in hiding there. (Jeez, I havent seen it this bad since the end of the US 2012 elections) *battens down hatches again*

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Another one of the proponents of adhering to the status quo of old white money ruling the world dropped off the planet.

I see it as a net gain.

She was a homophobic, heartless and self-righteous shrew who was given the trappings of power. A most terrible combination for those she viewed as (and went on to treat as) disposable.

I look forward to the days ahead as more and more people like her also drop off the face of the world taking their old and decrepit views to the place their old and decrepit bodies are inevitably heading.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
All I can think of is:

Funnily enough if you go to that video there's a whole bunch of Maggie tributes being posted.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I don't know. I never saw the movie about her and I'm not British, nor old enough to have ever heard about anything she did while she was doing it. I don't recall her being a mass murderer though, so I'm confused by some of the more... colorful reactions to her death. Still, I know nothing about her and I don't really care to know more, so I'm just going to leave this one to the Brits and keep my nose out of this.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't give a fleeting fuck. Not happy, not sad, just... not giving any fucks.
But then I'm Argentine, I don't think any of us do.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
I feel as follows....

Who's Margaret Thatcher?

No, seriously, being Australian I have no idea who she is or how she has pissed so many people off.

scorn the biomage

Say no too ethics.
Jan 21, 2012
Jack the Potato said:
I don't know. I never saw the movie about her and I'm not British, nor old enough to have ever heard about anything she did while she was doing it. I don't recall her being a mass murderer though, so I'm confused by some of the more... colorful reactions to her death. Still, I know nothing about her and I don't really care to know more, so I'm just going to leave this one to the Brits and keep my nose out of this.
I think this is more Mature
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CYkZcPYXQI

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
dumbseizure said:
being Australian
The Union Jack is situated in the exact same place on your flag as it is on mine, mate... then again you are 7 years younger than me so it's probably not so much a regional thing as an age thing.

Sep 14, 2009
well, isn't this a flipped situation, usually it's some famous american citizen who died and all the brits get to go "i have no opinion one way or the other" or "who the fuck is that?"

so i'll say:

"I have no opinion on this one way or the other"

although she sounds like an evil old douchebag, so chalk one up for the victory pile i suppose. yeah yeah "she meant something to someone!", but her burning in helldeath means alot more to many other people.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
Abomination said:
dumbseizure said:
being Australian
The Union Jack is situated in the exact same place on your flag as it is on mine, mate... then again you are 7 years younger than me so it's probably not so much a regional thing as an age thing.
Just saying, watch the news most nights and don't see a damn thing about her.

soooo....

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
dumbseizure said:
Abomination said:
dumbseizure said:
being Australian

soooo....
Watching the news every day for the past 20 years you would be unlikely to hear much about her even in the UK. She WAS Prime Minister many years ago but if you were lower than middle class during her administration you saw her as the devil in disguise.

The Selkie

May 25, 2012
She did what she thought was right for the country. All of her methods, although extreme and they caused the unemployment of more than a few, were done with the aim of economic prosperity in the long run. Her actions were always with the best of intentions, so I bare no malice towards her. Depending on who you ask she either set the country on course for long term economic growth or she destroyed the North of England and she's a war criminal and quite possibly the Emperor from Star Wars. Oh and she called Nelson Mandela a terrorist once.

I'm not well enough versed in the politics of the era to argue the other points, but I strongly disagree with the allegations of war crimes that crop up from time to time. Other than that I try to stay out of it.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
Abomination said:
dumbseizure said:
Abomination said:
dumbseizure said:
being Australian

soooo....
Watching the news every day for the past 20 years you would be unlikely to hear much about her even in the UK. She WAS Prime Minister many years ago but if you were lower than middle class during her administration you saw her as the devil in disguise.
Ohhh.....shes one of those people....

What'd she do? Higher taxes for people earning under a certain amount? Make people earning under 50k a year fight for their paychecks with prison rules?

Edit:

The Selkie said:
Oh and she called Nelson Mandela a terrorist once.
Wait.....she did what now........

why............

The Selkie

May 25, 2012
dumbseizure said:
The Selkie said:

why............
Well he led an organisation in an armed struggle against the government of South African which involved quite a large bombing campaign. At the time she wanted to work with the group in power to change the regime through peaceful methods, whereas Mandela thought more extreme measures were needed. In the end up Mandela seems to have been right and the Conservative party later went on to declare she was wrong to call him and his group terrorists. At least that's my understanding of it.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
The Selkie said:
dumbseizure said:
The Selkie said:

why............
Well he led an organisation in an armed struggle against the government of South African which involved quite a large bombing campaign. At the time she wanted to work with the group in power to change the regime through peaceful methods, whereas Mandela thought more extreme measures were needed. In the end up Mandela seems to have been right and the Conservative party later went on to declare she was wrong to call him and his group terrorists. At least that's my understanding of it.
That is the thing, the ANC was right in their end state, but they did engage in the same methods as terrorists. He is a good guy, but he was a terrorist. I may even go so far as to say terrorism was, in that case, justified, but that does not change what it was.

OT: I am mostly apathetic about the news itself, she was an old woman who hadn't been relevant in years. That being said, I am pretty disgusted by the reaction, on this site in particular.