So how is mortal kombat X?

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
So far there isn't a MKX thread about the gAme yet. There was a thread about the DLC , and another about the gay guy, but none aboutthe actual game. So i'm curious how is it? What are the pros and cons? How does it play? Is it balanced? Is it smooth? Are you enjoying it?

The game is in my " maybe" list . So what do you guys think about it? Also how similar is it to mk9. Is it similar enough to Mk9 that i should pick up MK9 cheap first to see if i enjoy the gameplay before droping 70$ on MKX?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I'm not a hardcore fighting guy dude, with only a vague understanding of frame data and stuff, but its been pretty good so far. It's Mortal Kombat, and behaves essentially up to that standard. If you're a fan of the old cast, you may be a bit disappointed on the heavy story focus on the new generation of characters.

The dodgy DLC does bear some mention. Aside from pre-order Goro (who you might get free by happenstance, as stores often sell pre-order copies in the first week or so), there's 4 or 5 other characters clearly already on-disc (you fight them in story mode), but sold as DLC.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Easy and fun but not as deep as other games out there. Try guilty gear xrd if you want an awesome fighting experience.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Part of it depends how "hardcore" of a fighting game fan you are. From what hardcore folks have told me, MKX isn't as complex and deep as games like Guilty Gear Xrd or Blazblue.

But, if you're someone like me who doesn't want to memorize frames data or nanosecond timing, it's awesome. I've only played a little bit of story mode, but so far it's great. The new Krypt is fantastic. So far I'm really liking the new characters (Erron Black is especially awesome, and in my opinion is one of the coolest "Gunslinger" characters ever), and the variations system is a ton of fun because they actually do genuinely feel different from each other. Likewise, much like MK9, the sheer amount of content is staggering. It's a little disappointing that Tag-team mode is gone, but that's honestly the only complaint I have so far.

As for MK9, I'd just read the wiki on the story to catch yourself up and then buy MKX. MKX is basically MK9 improved in every way (except for lack of tag-team).

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Dreiko said:
Easy and fun but not as deep as other games out there. Try guilty gear xrd if you want an awesome fighting experience.
Guilty gear xrd is actually my main game. I was wondering since i haven't played a MK game since trilogy on the N64. The only netherelm game i played was Injustice and i found the to be pretty unbalanced, and the character movements felt a bit stiff in comparasion to capcom and arc sys stuff.

My main problem with xrd is that my server has at most 64 players on the weekends and about 30ish during the week. And the netcode is pretty hit or miss.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:
Part of it depends how "hardcore" of a fighting game fan you are. From what hardcore folks have told me, MKX isn't as complex and deep as games like Guilty Gear Xrd or Blazblue.

But, if you're someone like me who doesn't want to memorize frames data or nanosecond timing, it's awesome. I've only played a little bit of story mode, but so far it's great. The new Krypt is fantastic. So far I'm really liking the new characters (Erron Black is especially awesome, and in my opinion is one of the coolest "Gunslinger" characters ever), and the variations system is a ton of fun because they actually do genuinely feel different from each other. Likewise, much like MK9, the sheer amount of content is staggering. It's a little disappointing that Tag-team mode is gone, but that's honestly the only complaint I have so far.
This to a T.
I like to think myself as a big MK fan, and while I won't be tackling any tournaments, I do like getting good at them without having to crack open frame data and other nonsense, which the game pleasantly provides you in the moves list if you want it.

It's got a good interface, the fighting's fun whether you know what you're doing or not (and trust me, I don't, at least not yet, I'm a slow learner), the new characters are cool, even the one's I don't like to play as are at least cool as characters (yes, Erron Black is flippin' cool), and the finishers are great.

My favorite part of MK has always been how brutal it is, the series has never failed to rattle my cage and between the X-Ray moves, Fatalities, Brutalities, and Faction Kills (which honestly aren't as good as the last two though not terrible by themselves) I'm being pleasantly and thoroughly sickened. I'm kind of a lightweight when it comes to violence but I still like giving an excited "OH!" when something shocks me and MKX has some stuff in here that's so brutal I sometimes wonder if I want to keep playing.

Seriously, if it was one iota more graphic, I might actually dislike it, but right now it's the most perfect blend of shock and enjoyment.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
it's good but I was expecting more
the 3 stances actually take away from the strategy as most of the moves used to belong to previous versions of the characters, now they just feel incomplete. Not all of them but a few of them like Jax and Sonya feel stripped, there's also some fighters from 9 that didn't come back that I really liked, mainly Skarlet.
So it's not a bad game but as a fighting game it's just serviceable and I don't expect it to do much as far as drawing a crowd, like Injustice before it, it's not fun to watch... also Takeda(lasher) + footsies pretty much dominate

Kanova

Oct 26, 2011
The only problem I am having is the laggy online play. If you aren't much of an PVPer, then I would say it is a great great buy. Otherwise, you might have to wait for the online to be fixed. It is barely playable right now with a nice 1 second delay. Also, lack of characters is kind of a bummer. No Baraka, no Smoke, no Noob ect ect.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Extra-Ordinary said:
Ihateregistering1 said:

This to a T.
I like to think myself as a big MK fan, and while I won't be tackling any tournaments, I do like getting good at them without having to crack open frame data and other nonsense, which the game pleasantly provides you in the moves list if you want it.

It's got a good interface, the fighting's fun whether you know what you're doing or not (and trust me, I don't, at least not yet, I'm a slow learner), the new characters are cool, even the one's I don't like to play as are at least cool as characters (yes, Erron Black is flippin' cool), and the finishers are great.

My favorite part of MK has always been how brutal it is, the series has never failed to rattle my cage and between the X-Ray moves, Fatalities, Brutalities, and Faction Kills (which honestly aren't as good as the last two though not terrible by themselves) I'm being pleasantly and thoroughly sickened. I'm kind of a lightweight when it comes to violence but I still like giving an excited "OH!" when something shocks me and MKX has some stuff in here that's so brutal I sometimes wonder if I want to keep playing.

Seriously, if it was one iota more graphic, I might actually dislike it, but right now it's the most perfect blend of shock and enjoyment.

Frames are just a precise measuring unit of time. It's like seconds. The exact opposite of nonsense.

There's 60 of those frames in each one second. You use them to describe the speed of attacks. It's useful when memorizing which moves are fast and which are slow and how much recovery time each move has so as to figure out with which move one ought to punish them, etc.

Most players already think this way when they play, they just use words like "fast" or "slow" to describe things which is highly imprecise. Frames alleviate this problem.