So how is the gay marriage ruling going to impact you?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Unless I end up having contacts in the US: not at all. Gay marriage is already a thing in the UK after all.

I like the idea that this decision will drive other nations to do the same, though.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Living in the UK, it doesn't affect me. We had same-sex marriage already (though hadn't for long)-- I don't see it being particularly likely that I'll get married, though.

It did give Pride (which was on the day after the SCOTUS ruling) some extra buzz, though, so that was a small positive impact!

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Rainbows and glitter began to seep from my pores over the weekend, and I've been told the condition is terminal. By next week, I will have dissolved into a pile of Skittles.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
So for those in the US, the ruling about gay marriages being legal nationwide is a significant event, and I'm curious how it's going to impact others. Mostly in a professional manner, but also in a private angle.

For me, it's going to impact filing claims for veterans, as they will now be able to list their same sex partner as a spouse for benefits purposes. They will be able to provide them with medical coverage, provide them with education benefits, and let them receive widow benefits in the event that they die. Which I'm quite happy for.

Personally, it might mean I get to use my status as an ordained Dudeist Priest to marry some people. xD

So how, if at all, is the ruling going to impact you on a professional/personal level?
Well, I live in Mississippi, so now I get to hear about how the country is going to hell, new Sodom and Gomorrah, etc etc. Oh, and I get to listen to local politicians try to finagle and loophole their way around having to actually follow federal law (Mississippi, for example, is toying with the idea of just... not giving out state marriage licenses at all. To anybody. Any more). The amount of obliviousness to what happened the last time the South was on the wrong side of the history and tried to defy the federal government over a Civil rights issue is astonishing. This is not a fight we win, and this is not a fight we wind up coming out looking good in the end.

Also there are some pretty unnerving ads on the radio now. There was this ad about Christians needing to buy and fly their own Christian flag, because the US doesn't represent them any more, along with a countryish song about rising evil and having to stand up to it for the children, etc etc. It didn't help that people were already super-mad about people daring to question the Confederate flag and whether we should have it (the flag of a hostile, rebel nation that started a war to try and permanently break the US apart, resulting in the deaths of over 800,000 Americans, purely to try and prop on their own slavery-based economic system) as part of our official state flag still.

The fact that I am the only pseudo-democrat in my family (I tend to lean more left than right, but I don't consider myself a raging liberal or anything) just makes all this awkward for me in general.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Not even remotely, I don't live in America.

As far as pride goes. I've honestly never cared. I mean, I get it, but, I don't really care to define myself by my sexuality quite so much.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
There has been an 90% increase in the amount of rainbows I've seen since the ruling. I don't like the rainbow pattern so I shall remain visually annoyed.

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
I am planning on going into free-lance photography, and this will probably increase the likely-hood of getting business, which is yet another reason I support this event.;)

Starwind1988

Oct 21, 2013
I predict no impact on my personal or professional life. Though I will say that I was relieved that the court came down on the right side of this. I was worried that they'd either go against it, or would simply punt it down the road. There has been a lot of commotion about this judgement and just remind myself that this is only the beginning. For all the bellowing now, in a few years it'll just be something that people accept as part of the culture. Sure there will always be dissenters. Hell the KKK is still making headlines in America, so I don't ever expect to completely go away. Rather I imagine at a point the opposition will become culturally irrelevant. Like the KKK kind of is.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I am heterosexual and live in the UK, so it doesn't affect me in any way, shape or form really, beyond the eye strain I am getting when I go on my Facebook because people have changed their profile picture to the gay pride flag, but I am glad that homosexual couples now have the same rights as heterosexual couples. It is a ruling that has been long overdue in my opinion.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Personally, not really all that much beyond the Lezzies living with me having a few more spats than normal since one has a pretty firm "NO MARRIAGE FOR ME EVER" clause(something about seeing her parents marriage fail, ruining the relationship they had with one another, then having the same thing happen to them again when they both eventually got remarried to other people), and the other a "I live in a no gay marriage state that I love, so no marriage for me", but that's obviously changed now.

Other than that, maybe less obnoxious Pride parades? I can always hope for that. I get it, you like your own type of genitals, I'm trying to get across the street so that I can eat today if you don't mind! That's not to say I don't like Pride parades, but I just don't really care for parades of any kind that block large amounts of where I live and work, and they sorta have always been crap in that regard.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I am not a homosexual, and I do not live in the US, so no matter which way you spin it, it doesn't have an impact on me in the slightest.

Good news for those who can now get married to their significant other, however. And boo hoo to those that get the grumpies because two people can finally move to the next step in their relationship.

Sep 13, 2009
I live in Canada. So... the most this affects me is that there seems to be a bunch of people threatening to immigrate here who're not up on the fact that we've had it legal for about a decade now.

All I wonder is what's taken you so long? Public opinion's supported it for a while now, not that public opinion should be what you use to decide who should be able to marry who in the first place.

talker

Nov 18, 2011
Not at all. Where I live people don't give a crap about your sexual orientation. As for me, I could truly not care less about where you stick things or get things stuck, as long as you don't try to involve me.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Does not affect me since I live in The Netherlands. But I am happy for a friend of my who lives in the USA.
I see this as the sign of the USA slowly crawling out of the middle ages, law-wise.

Captcha: had me at hello
Kinda made me smile, considering the topic at hand.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, I'm straight AND I don't really have a problem with it, so that's the two chief reasons I would really be impacted right out the window already. Is there anything else? I'm thinking no, so not really much will change for me.

kitsunefather

Verbose and Meandering
Nov 29, 2010
It makes my wife happy, and my dad miserable. Toss in the idea that it's another debate on basic humanity that's been closed in the right way, and that's a win all around.

Nailzzz

Apr 6, 2015
I'm looking forward to more interesting train wreck divorce cases as a result of this ruling. While I support gays having the same legal rights as everyone else, I'm sure many of them will come to realize the reason why fewer straights are as interested in marriage before too long. I just hope for their sake that not too many feel pressured to get married if their not ready simply because they might see it as a waste or even hypocritical to fight for and then not get married. Getting married for the sake of a political victory lap would be a big mistake that I fear many will inevitably fall into. To those that make the choice to get married, best of luck to them.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
As someone who's not gay, likely to ever marry and Gay marriage has been legal for a while in my country this affects me just as much as the movement of the planets have on my fortune.

I am of course happy that it's finally becoming legal in the land of the free. I really don't see a downside to it, but I see lots of positives.